“Mirror, mirror on the wall,
who is the most powerful antioxidant of all?”
“From now on, Vitamin C, you’re number two.
Superoxide dismutase is more powerful than you.”
It’s a good thing that vitamin C isn’t the jealous type. It knows that no antioxidant can do the entire antiaging job alone.
But if there’s anyone that can give vitamin C a run for its money and threaten its status as the darling of the antioxidant world, that is superoxide dismutase.
What The Heck Is Superoxide Dismutase?
Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is an antioxidant enzyme.
Antioxidant enzymes are enzymes that behave like antioxidants. Your body naturally produces them when your cells are being attacked by free radicals to reduce DNA damage.
FYI: there are 3 forms of superoxide dismutase: copper, manganese and zinc.
What Does Superoxide Dismutase Do?
Superoxide dismutase is the archenemy of Superoxide radical.
Superoxide is the most common free radical in the body. It’s also the primary trigger of inflammation, a process that destroys collagen and elastin and leaves you with wrinkles and dark spots.
Superoxide is so bad because it has a long life and is very reactive:
- When it reacts with another Superoxide radicals, it forms Hydrogen Peroxide
- When it reacts with hydrogen peroxide, it forms Hydroxyl Radical (the worst type of free radical ever).
- When it reacts with an unsaturated fatty acid, it forms Lipid Peroxide.
Superoxide dismutase hunts down Superoxide and converts it into oxygen and hdyrogen peroxide so it can’t wreak damage on your cells and give you wrinkles anymore.
What Are The Best Products With Superoxide Dismutase?
If superoxide dismutase is so powerful, why do so few products have it? Cos it’s very tricky to work with (like vitamin C, it’s very unstable).
But that makes the few products available all the more precious and worth snapping up. Here are my fave picks:
- iS Clinical Reparative Moisture Emulsion ($90.00): available at Dermstore
- Niod Superoxide Dismutase Saccharide Mist (£34.00): available at Asos and Feel Unique
- Paula’s Choice Resist Anti-Aging Antioxidant Serum ($35.00): available at Dermstore, Feel Unique, Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice
SHOP THE POST
The Bottom Line
Perhaps the mirror was exaggerating a little when it called superoxide dismutase the most powerful antioxidant of all. But it’s the one that fights the worst types of free radicals so it would be silly to ignore it. Add it to your skincare routine to give your other antioxidants a helping hand. I already have.
Are you using superoxide dismutase? Share your experience in the comments below.