Note to self: don’t ignore a skincare brand just because it has a boring, old lady look. You may miss out on some incredible gems.
Case in point: Olay Total Effects Day Cream SPF 15. Once I got over my aversion for using the same cream as my grandma, I realised why she loved it so much. It’s one of the best moisturisers you can get at the drugstore. Here’s why:
What’s In Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15?
Thank Olay for putting Niacinamide on the skincare map. Needless to say, Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15 is loaded with it, too.
This form of Vitamin B3 is suitable for every skin type and concerns. Here’s what it can do for your skin:
- It hydrates skin: It’s more effective than petrolatum at preventing water loss
- It soothes skin: It alleviates the symptoms of rosacea and irritations
- It lightens skin: It reduces dark spots, blotchiness (redness) and sallowness (yellowing)
- It helps treat wrinkles: Preliminary research shows it can boost the production of skin-firming collagen
- It treats acne: Its effects are similar to those of 1% clindamycin gel
Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15 provides UV protection thanks to:
- Ethylhexyl Salicylate: A.k.a. Octisalate, an UVB filter with a slightly oily consistency and a mild floral scent.
- Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane: A.k.a. avobenzone, an UVA filter that’s very unstable (i.e. stops working quickly when exposed to light) on its own. It’s absorbed by the body (and expelled quickly through urine), so it’s not recommended during pregnancy.
- Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid: A.k.a. Ensulizole, an UVB filter that also provides partial UVA protection (protects from short UVA but not long UVA).
- Octocrylene: An UVB filter that helps avobenzone last longer, coat the skin better and make the sunscreen water-resistant.
This moisturiser can provide broad spectrum protection, as long as you use enough (1/3 of a teaspoon for the face alone). Use less and you’ll need a separate sunscreen on top.
I personally recommend you use a separate sunscreen anyway. SPF 15 is barely enough in winter!
Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15 contains its fair share of antioxidants. Highlights include:
- Tocopheryl Acetate: A form of Vitamin E that fights free radicals and hydrates skin.
- Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract: A.k.a green tea, a powerful antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties that prevents wrinkles and reduces sun-induced damage.
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A Vitamin C derivative that fights free radicals, brightens the skin tone, and helps fight acne.
The texture is just right: not too lightweight, but not thick either. Itt sinks into the skin very quickly – no greasy residue behind.
Fresh. Subtle. A little floral. A bit old-fashioned. Fades away quickly.
How To Use It
In the morning, after serums but before sunscreen.
Performance & Personal Opinion
If you’re a regular here, you know I often skip a day moisturiser. My usual routine is cleanser, Vitamin C serum and sunscreen.
But on the colder days of the year, I’ll add a moisturiser to the mix to help my skin better withstand the harsher temperatures.
Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser with SPF 15 is a great option – and not just because it makes a good base for makeup. It’s moisturising enough for my combination skin (dry cheeks, oily t-zone), leaving it soft and smooth for the entire day.
While it’s at it, its plumping effect makes my fine lines look a little smaller – but, of course, the effect is only temporary. Still, I’ll take it.
The cream can’t get rid of wrinkles completely, but the antioxidants in it can definitely help you slow down the formation of new ones.
The best part? This moisturiser didn’t make me breakout. Not even one tiny pimple reared its ugly head. Phew!
P.S. In case you’re wondering, I do use sunscreen afterwards. SPF 15 may be the minimum dermatologists recommend, but I’m not comfortable using anything below 25.
Who Is This For?
- Normal skin
- Slightly dry skin
- Combination skin
Who Is This Not For?
May be a tad too rich for oily and acne-prone skin.
Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15 comes in a whitish golden tube with a pump applicator. It may look boring, but it’s functional. It keeps the antioxidants inside stable and effective for longer and dispenses just the right amount of product you need.
Does Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser With SPF 15 Live Up To Its Claims?
|Reduces the appearance of wrinkles.||Notice Olay says it reduces the appearance of wrinkles, not that it reduces wrinkles. When skin is well-moisturised (and this cream does the job), it plumps up so fine lines and wrinkles look smaller.|
|Evens skin tone.||It has Niacinamide, which does help to fade away dark spots. I don’t have any yet, so I can’t vouch for this personally.|
|Refines look of pores.||Niacinamide can help pores a little smaller.|
|Smoothes the texture of the skin.||Yes, but any moisturiser makes skin smoother.|
|Brightens.||I didn’t notice much of a glow, but again, niacinamide can help fade away dark spots.|
|Helps to restore skin’s firmness.||Notice it doesn’t promise to firm skin. It only promises to help (what?) firm skin. There’s no way you can prove or disprove this claim.|
Price & Availability
Do You Need It?
Very few products are must-haves. But if you’re looking for an antiaging moisturiser at the drugstore, Olay Total Effects Day Moisturiser with SPF 15 fits the bills.
Dupes & Alternatives
- CeraVe AM Facial Moisturising Lotion ($18.99)
- Paula’s Choice Defense Essential Glow Moisturiser SPF 30 ($29.00)
Aqua, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Isopropyl Isostearate, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, Panthenol, Octocrylene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, BHT, Stearyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Behenyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Zinc oxide (Nano), Laureth-7, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Carbomer, Aminomethyl Propanol, PEG-100 Stearate, Ammonium Polyacrylate, Titanium Dioxide, Polyacrylamide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, C13-14 Alkane, 1,2-Hexanediol, PTFE, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Methylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol, Propylparaben, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, CI 19140, Caramel, CI 16035