What are the best skincare products for pregnant women?
Pregnancy can give you that beautiful radiant glow. Or it can play tricks on your skin that leave it blotched with acne, melasma or heightened sensitivity (as if morning sickness weren’t enough).
The worst part? Your old trusted staples won’t do. Retinol, Benzoyl peroxide and everything else you were using to deal with all the skincare drama before pregnancy is now banned from your skincare routine. They’re not safe for baby.
So what is? Here are the best pregnancy-safe skincare products to deal with aging, dark spots and more during this special time in your life:
Best Anti-Aging Skincare Products For Pregnant Women
Retinoids are off limits during pregnancy. Studies show they cause birth defects in mice. Sure, we’re not mice but… why take the risk?
Keep retinoids on the shelves till you’ve done breastfeeding. In the meantime, fill your skincare routine with as many antioxidants as you can find.
Think of antioxidants as your body’s police. They patrol your body, looking for free radicals, the nasty molecules that destroy collagen, elastin, cellular DNA and everything else they find on their path. When they spot one, they destroy it before they can give you wrinkles and dark spots.
- Mad Hippie Hydrating Nutrient Mist ($19.99): A hydrating mist loaded with antioxidants to fight dryness and premature aging. Spray it on after cleansing instead of toner. Available at iHerb, Ulta and Walmart.
- Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum ($33.99): The best option for acne-prone skin, this serum uses Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, a derivative of Vitamin C that reduces sebum oxidation (a main cause of acne and inflammation) by up to 40%! Plus, it fights wrinkles and hydrates skin. Available at Free People, iHerb, Ulta and Walmart.
- Paula’s Choice C15 Booster ($49.00): A dupe for Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, it uses Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) + Vitamin E + ferulic acid, a powerful antioxidant combination that boosts collagen, fights free radicals, brightens the skintone and enhances the sun protection of your sunscreen. Its texture’s so lightweight, it’s suitable for every skin type. Available at Feel Unique, Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum ($39.00): From Vitamin C (it has 3 forms!!) to Ferulic Acid and superoxide dismutase, this hydrating serum is loaded with every antioxidant you can think of to neutralise as many free radicals as possible. Available at Dermstore and Paula’s Choice.
- Peter Thomas Roth Potent-C Serum ($95.00): This serum uses a derivative of Vitamin C that penetrates skin better than L-Ascorbic Acid – and is way gentler, too. It fights wrinkles, brightens the skintone and hydrates skin to boot. Ideal for sensitive skin that can’t tolerate L-Ascorbic Acid but still wants fast results. Available at Anthropologie, Beauty Bay, Dermstore, Revolve, Sephora and Ulta.
- The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% ($7.90): If you’re using a Vitamin C serum without ferulic acid, this is a great way to sneak it in. Ferulic acid is an antioxidant on steroids: it destroys THREE types of free radicals. Together with resveratrol, it also helps prevent sun damage. Available at Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty, Escentual and Feel Unique.
- The Ordinary EUK 134.01% ($8.80): A mimetic of superoxide dismutase and catalase, it destroys superoxide free radicals, the worst and most damaging types of free radicals out there. If it’s missing from your skincare routine, it’s a good idea to supplement with this. Available at Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty, Escentual and Feel Unique.
Related: Common Antioxidants In Skincare Products: Which Ones Are Best?
Don’t know which skincare products you can mix and match together and which ones deactivate each other? Download your FREE “How To Layer Actives Like A Pro” cheat sheet to get the most out of your skincare products:
Best Exfoliants For Pregnant Women
The jury’s still out there on whether exfoliating acids are safe for pregnancy. I personally believe that it’s only peels that are dangerous. In the small concentrations used in cosmetics, glycolic & co should be fine.
But what if you don’t want to take the risk, however small? Stick to lactic acid. It’s gentler than other acids out there. Plus, your body makes a lot of it already, so it won’t cause your baby any harm.
- The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% (£5.50): Suitable even for the most sensitive of skin types, this exfoliant contains a very low concentration of lactic acid to smoothen and brighten your skintone. Plus, it’s hydrating. Available at Asos, Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty and Feel Unique.
- The Inkey List Lactic Acid (£7.99): A hydrating exfoliating with 10% lactic acid to remove those pesky dead cells off the surface and unveil smoother, softer and brighter skin. Available at Cult Beauty and Feel Unique.
Related: How Often Should You Exfoliate?
Best Sunscreens For Pregnant Women
Did you know that avobenzone gets absorbed by your body? We know this because it’s been found in urine (eww!). That’s good news: it means your body’s getting rid of it so it can’t harm you.
But just because it’s safe for mama, it doesn’t mean it’s safe for baby. That’s why it’s best to avoid chemical UV filters (yes, avobenzone ain’t the only one that gets into your body) during pregnancy.
So what can you use? Mineral UV filters titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. They tend to be a little thicker and sometimes even leave a white cast behind. But they’re super gentle and 100% safe for mum and baby.
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($36.00): Unlike other sunscreens on this list, this one has an added tint to neutralise the white cast. Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants and oils to fight free radicals and hydrate skin. Available at Cult Beauty and Sephora.
- EltaMD UV Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 ($25.00): A lightweight mineral sunscreen that even oily and sensitive skin will love. It’s resistant for up to 80 minutes in water and doesn’t leave a greasy residue behind. Available at Dermstore and Walmart.
- Mad Hippie Facial SPF ($24.99): A bit thicker than other sunscreens in this list. But if you’re looking for an all natural sunscreen, this is it. It’s packed with zinc oxide and antioxidants to boost your sun protection. Available at Ulta.
- Supergoop! 100% Mineral Smooth & Poreless Matte Sunscreen SPF 40 ($38.00): Ideal for oily and acne-prone skin, this sunscreen has a translucent formula that dries down to a soft matte finish. Available at Dermstore, Nordstrom, Revolve and Sephora.
Related: 3 Reasons Why Mineral Sunscreen Is Better For Sensitive Skin
Best Moisturising Skincare Products For Pregnant Women
Is your skin dry or dehydrated? You need hyaluronic acid in your life. This moisture magnet attracts and binds to the skin up to 1000 times its weight in water!
All that moisture instantly makes your skin softer, plumper and smoother. It gives it a dewy glow, too! The best part? It’s so gentle, it’s suitable for ALL skin types.
- La Roche Posay Hyalu B5 (£37.00): A no-frills hydrating serum with two forms of Hyaluronic Acid to deeply hydrate every layer of skin. Available at Escentual,Feel Unique and Look Fantastic.
- Paula’s Choice Hyaluronic Acid Booster ($36.00): This concentrated booster uses two types of Hyaluronic Acid plus ceramides to deeply hydrate skin and strengthen its protective barrier. You can use it alone or mix it with your fave moisturiser. Available at Dermstore, Nordstrom, Paula’s Choice and Selfridges.
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Serum ($65.00): A hyaluronic acid serum enriched with probiotics to deeply hydrate and soothe sensitive skin. Available at Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty, Dermstore, Sephora and Ulta
Related: Why You Should Add Hyaluronic Acid To Your Skincare Routine, No Matter Your Skin Type
Best Skin-Lightening Products For Pregnant Women
Retinoids, glycolic acid peels, hydroquinone… It seems like everything that can fade away dark spots is banned during pregnancy!
Worry not. You’re not doomed to blotchy skin just because you’re having a baby. Turn to azelaic acid. Safe during pregnancy, this baby exfoliates skin, fades away dark spots and even helps treat acne!
- The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% (£5.50): A basic, no-frills azelaic acid cream that helps you fight acne and dark spots. It’s suitable even for sensitive skin. Available at Asos, Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty and Feel Unique.
Related: The Battle Of The Skin-Lighteners: Which Is The Best Alternative To Hydroquinone?
Best Anti-Acne Products For Pregnant Women
Does your skin keep pumping out sebum like there’s no tomorrow? Zinc comes to the rescue. This metal regulates oil production and reduces inflammation, two of the main causes of acne.
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (£5.00): It pairs zinc with niaciamide, an antiaging superstar that hydrates skin, soothes inflammation, treats acne and even prevents wrinkles! Available at Asos, Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty and Feel Unique.
Related: Does Zinc Help Treat Acne?
There you have, the best (and safest) skincare products for every need during pregnancy. Because you deserve to look your best at this special time in your life, too.