I get this question a lot. I totally get it. Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster is one of the best skincare products I’ve ever tried in my life.
But it costs an arm and a leg. If there’s a cheaper option, why not take it?
Truth bomb: just because two products use the same ingredient, doesn’t mean they work in the same way.
- What Ingredients Do The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% and Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster Have In Common?
- What Else Is In Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%?
- What’s The Texture Like?
- What’s The Packaging Like?
- How To Use Them
- Which Of The Two Should You Go For?
- Is The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% A Dupe For Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster?
What Ingredients Do The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% and Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster Have In Common?
Niacinamide is the most versatile ingredient in skincare. It can do everything. I’m not exaggerating. Studies show that Niacinamide:
- Hydrates skin: It’s more effective than petrolatum at preventing water loss.
- Soothes skin: It alleviates the symptoms of rosacea and irritations.
- Lightens skin: It reduces dark spots, blotchiness (redness) and sallowness (yellowing).
- Helps treat wrinkles: Preliminary research shows it can boost the production of skin-firming collagen.
- Treats acne: Its effects are similar to those of 1% clindamycin gel.
You know what this mean? Niacinamide is suitable for all skin types:
- Dry skin: It helps keep it soft and hydrated.
- Oily skin: It helps shrink large pores and heal pimples faster.
- Sensitive skin: It helps soothe redness and irritations.
- Mature, sun-damaged skin: It helps lighten dark spots and keep wrinkles at bay.
What Else Is In Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%?
THE ORDINARY NIACINAMIDE 10% + ZINC 1%
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% keeps it simple. Niacinamide aside, the only other ingredient of note is Zinc PCA. It’s made up of two things:
- Zinc: A mineral that regulates oil production and limits the proliferation of acne-causing bacteria.
- L-PCA: Short for Pyrrolidone Carboxylic Acid, it’s a natural moisturising factor that hydrates skin. Plus, it helps increase the bioavailability and effectiveness of zinc.
The catch? So far, the only study I’ve found on its effectiveness comes from the manufacturer. They found that using 1% of Zinc PCA every day for 28 days reduces sebum production significantly.
Zinc PCA is the reason why so many people find this product drying. Absorbing excess oil is all well and good when your skin pumps out too much. But when it doesn’t have enough? That’s a recipe for disaster.
Related: Does Zinc Really Help Treat Acne?
PAULA’S CHOICE 10% NIACINAMIDE BOOSTER
Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster is more expensive for a reason. It’s loaded with goodies that hydrate, brighten, and fight premature aging. Here are the highlights:
- Allantoin: It has moisturising and anti-inflammatory properties that heal dry, rough, and irritated skin.
- Epigallocatechin Gallate: The main antioxidant in green tea, it helps prevent UVB-induced oxidative stress and collagen breakdown. Translation: it helps prevent wrinkles and keep skin firm for as long as possible.
- Hyaluronic Acid: A moisture magnet that attracts and binds to your skin up to 1000 times its weight in water! All that extra hydration makes your skin softer and suppler.
- Licorice Extract: It has powerful soothing, antioxidant, and brightening properties that help calm down irritations, fight premature aging, and reduce dark spots,
- Vitamin C: Ascorbyl Glucoside is a stable Vitamin C derivative that fights free radicals and reduces dark spots. And in case you’re wondering, for the majority of people, it’s safe to use Vitamin C and Niacinamide together.
You can see now why you can’t compare these two niacinamide products?
What’s The Texture Like?
Paula’s Choice Niacinamide 10% Booster has a fantastic texture: clear and lightweight, it sinks in quickly without leaving a tacky residue behind.
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% has a lightweight texture that’s similar to water, but more viscous. It sinks in quickly, too.
What’s The Packaging Like?
Both Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% come in a small bottles with a dropper application. The difference? Paula’s Choice’s is opaque, The Ordinary’s is see-through.
How To Use Them
You can use both serums both morning and evening.
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% goes after cleansing but before heavier serums and moisturisers.
Paula’s Choice is more versatile. You can use it alone in between cleanser and moisturiser, or you can mix it with your face serums and lotions (NEVER sunscreen! It dilutes the SPF).
Which Of The Two Should You Go For?
It depends on your skin type and needs. Go for The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% if:
- You have oily skin that pumps out too much oil
- You have acne and want to do everything you can to fight it
Opt for Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster if:
- You have dry skin and need something a little more hydrating
- You have dark spots or dull skin you want to brighten
- You have sensitive skin that needs some soothing action
- You want to slow down premature aging
Is The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% A Dupe For Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster?
Absolutely not! The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is strictly to absorb excess oil in oily and acne-prone skin. For all other skin types, it’s way too drying. If you need something hydrating, antiaging, brightening, or soothing, go with Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster. It’s more expensive because it delivers more benefits for your skin.
Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster
Water (Aqua), Niacinamide (vitamin B3, skin-restoring ), Acetyl Glucosamine (skin replenishing/antioxidant), Ascorbyl Glucoside (vitamin C/antioxidant), Butylene Glycol (hydration), Phospholipids (skin replenishing), Sodium Hyaluronate (hydration/skin replenishing), Allantoin (skin-soothing), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (skin-soothing), Glycerin (hydration/skin replenishing), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (skin-soothing), Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract (licorice extract/skin-soothing), Ubiquinone (antioxidant), Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidant), Beta-Glucan (skin-soothing/antioxidant), Panthenol (skin replenishing), Carnosine (antioxidant), Genistein (antioxidant), Citric Acid (pH balancing), Sodium Citrate (pH balancing), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancing), Xanthan Gum (texture-enhancing), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin (preservative), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).
The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
Aqua (Water), Niacinamide, Pentylene Glycol, Zinc PCA, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Tamarindus Indica Seed Gum, Xanthan gum, Isoceteth-20, Ethoxydiglycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.