I was so excited when I found a dupe for Pixi Glow. Bravura Revitalising Ginseng Toner with 5% Glycolic Acid was pretty much the same thing, only cheaper. Then, they ruined it: the price went up, the mls were fewer… In the end, Pixi Glow turned out how to be the cheaper option!
Then, The Ordinary came along. Their Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution looks like the perfect candidate to knock Pixi Glow off its throne and gain the crown for best exfoliating toner out there.
Let the battle begin… and the best toner win:
Glycolic acid is the most famous member of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid family, a group of exfoliants derived from fruits and sugar cane (GA is derived from sugar cane).
Glycolic acid is my fave AHA, too, because it’s a multitasker:
- It exfoliates skin: it dissolves the glue that holds skin cells together so they can slough off
- It boosts collagen: it firms skin and helps treats sun damage
- It hydrates skin: it draws water into it from the environment
Awesome, right? There are two catches:
- Irritation: everything that removes dead skin cells can irritate skin. The lower the dose of GA, the lower the chance of irritation (and its effectiveness).
- PH: a high ph neutralises GA, making it useless.
Pixi Glow has 5% glycolic acid at a ph of 4.1. This is fairly high. Roughly 1.8% of glycolic acid survives to exfoliates your skin.
The Ordinary has a 7% glycolic acid at a ph of 3.5-3.7. This is much more friendly to GA. Roughly 4.4% survives unscathed.
The bottom line? The Ordinary is more effective but also more irritating.
P.S. At this dose, we’re talking irritating for sensitive skin. Most people will be able to use it without problems.
Related: The Complete Guide To Glycolic Acid
Did you know that aloe is 99.5% made of water? The goodies that make it so soothing and moisturizing are in the remaining 0.5%!
Some of these goodies are called polysaccharides and they’re more abundant in aloe vera juice than aloe vera water. Why this matters?
Because Pixi is using a dollop of the juice and The Ordinary a few drops of the water. That makes the Pixi toner a little bit more hydrating.
It doesn’t really do much for the skin but I had to mention it because it can be irritating if you have super sensitive skin.
What About The Rest Of The Formulas?
They both are rich in humectants that hydrate skin with a sprinkle of antioxidants thrown in for good measure.
The Ordinary formula is slightly different because it features several types of water and plenty of amino acids (Pixi has amino acids, too – just not as many). Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, including collagen and elastin. They also hydrate skin and help it heal faster.
Long story short: you need amino acids in your skincare routine.
Want more dupes? Click on the image below to subscribe to the newsletter and receive the “Skincare Dupes” cheatsheet with all my fave dupes:
So, Is The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution A Dupe For Pixi Glow?
Yes, yes, yes! A more effective one, too!
SHOP THE POST
Pixi Glow Ingredients: Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Glycolic Acid (5%), Ammonium Glycolate, Glycerin, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Urea, Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Hexyl Nicotinate, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Biotin, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance.
The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution Ingredients Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Rosa damascena flower water, Centaurea cyanus flower water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Propanediol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Aminomethyl Propanol, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Tasmania Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Aspartic Acid, Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Isoleucine, Proline, Threonine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Hexyl Nicotinate, Dextrin, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Gellan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.