Finding it hard to get hold of a bottle of Pixi Glow Tonic? This cult toner is flying off the shelves faster than it can be restocked, leaving many a beauty junkie wondering if they’ll ever be able to try it.
While you’re waiting, why not track down a dupe? Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner With 5% Glycolic Acid promises the same benefits as Pixi Glow Tonic at a fraction of the cost. Curious? Read on:
I don’t use a toner anymore, but if I did, I’d definitely choose one with glycolic acid. One of my favourite ingredients, glycolic acid is an exfoliant on steroids.
It dissolves the “glue” that holds old, dull, and rough skin cells together, allowing them to slough off, and reveal the brighter and smoother skin underneath. It moisturizes skin through a humectant mechanism (attracts water from the environment into it), and even boosts collagen production!
The catch? Glycolic acid can be irritating in high doses and at the wrong ph. To fix this, Bravura London has neutralised some of the glycolic acid with ammonium hydroxide. Studies shown that’s still effective. But, if you ask, I’d just have added less in the first place.
Who doesn’t love good aloe vera? Its juice has been used for centuries to treat wounds and soothe irritations. And it’s quite moisturizing too. According to a 2006 study, a lotion “with 0.25% and 0.50% (w/w) of Aloe vera extract increased the water content of the stratum corneum […] possibly through a humectant mechanism”.
Of course, there’s a catch here too. The type used in skincare is 99.5% water! All its beneficial goodies are in the other 0.5%! That’s why it should be used very generously in skincare products. Luckily, it tops the list of both toners.
If there’s a skincare ingredient that confuses me, it’s witch hazel. I still can’t decide if it’s good, bad, or both.
Problem is, its antioxidants (they’re called tannins) can, in high amounts, irritate skin. And often, witch hazel is prepared in alcohol, which can be drying. That’s not so good, is it?
So, what’s a girl to do? I prefer to avoid it, just to be on the safe side. If you have sensitive skin, I recommend you do the same.
It’s not often I come across an ingredient I hadn’t heard about before. Hexyl Nicotinate had that honour. When researching this post, I’ve discovered it’s a vasodilator that “causes the blood vessels near to the surface of the skin to increase in diameter and to increase their blood flow.”
I’m not really sure what the point of including it in skincare products is. It’s unlikely to do either much good or harm in the small amount used here. Unless your skin is super sensitive. Then, it may irritate it.
What About The Rest Of The Formulas?
They’re pretty much identical. If the ingredient lists look slightly different, it’s because they named the ingredients differently.
Both Pixi Glow Tonic and Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner with 5% Glycolic Acid contain glycolic acid to exfoliate, humectants to hydrate, the tiniest amount of antioxidants so they can say they help fight premature ageing too, and a fragrance.
Well, actually, I guess the fragrance is the only thing that’s different between the two formulas. But that’s about it.
Pixi Glow Tonic Ingredients
Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Glycolate, Glycerin, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Urea, Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Hexyl Nicotinate, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Biotin, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance.
Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner with Glycolic Acid 5%
Purified Water, Aloe Vera, Witch Hazel, Horse Chestnut Extracts, Glycolic Acid and Ammonium Glycolate, Glycerin, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Urea, Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Hexyl Nicotinate, Ginseng Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Biotin, Polysorbate 20, Fragrant Oil.
Pixi Glow Tonic is available at Cult Beauty for £18.00 for 250ml. Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner with Glycolic Acid 5% will set you back £12.00 for 150ml. You can get a bottle on their website.
So, Is Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner With Glycolic Acid 5% A Dupe For Pixi Glow Tonic?
Yes! Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner With Glycolic Acid 5% is almost an exact dupe for Pixi Glow Tonic. The benefits are the same, so if you can’t find Pixi in the shops (it sells out so quickly!), go with Bravura.
Have you tried Pixi Glow Tonic and Bravura London Revitalising Ginseng Toner With Glycolic Acid 5%? Which one is your favourite?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.