When she’s not busy raising her 3 kids in the sunny land of California, you can find Deborah Harju gushing about skincare at Hello Glow, an online destination for all things natural beauty and wellness.
Deborah knows what she’s talking about. She’s a qualified esthetician who loves to share her tips and ticks to achieve great skin in a safe and natural way.
In this interview, she dishes out about her skincare routine, fave products and what got her interested in skincare in the first place:
1. When did you become interested in skincare?
It was during high school. My sister decided to become an esthetician and she’s two years older than me, so she would come home from her classes with so much information, I would say that is when my interested began.
2. What’s your skincare routine like?
I listen to my skin, so each day it might look a little different than the last. I always use a cleansing balm or oil at night, followed by a serum that targets a specific need (retinol, hydration, calming, etc.) and if I’m feeling particularly dry I will add a moisturizer on top. Eye cream too, never without eye cream! For the morning I always apply Vitamin C, an eye cream, and tinted sunscreen.
3. If you could only use three skincare products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
Tinted sunscreen, right now I’m using Beauty Counter Dew Skin, but I trade off between a few brands. Lanolips lip balm, just can’t quit it. And Bioelements Barrier Fix Daily Hydrator, it’s soothing and hydrating without being too thick.
4. What are your fave skincare brands and why?
I try to stick to clean products as often as possible, but I’m not 100% about it. The brands I enjoy are Eminence, Bioelements, Beauty Counter, Drunk Elephant, and Skin Ceuticals.
5. What are your top 3 skincare tips to take care of your skin?
- Always wear a hat if you’ll be in the sun for extended periods of time.
- When your skin is feeling dry, increase exfoliation in your routine.
- Never underestimate the effects of water. The best way to hydrate and moisturize skin is from the inside. Drink half your weight in ounces each and every day.
6. What skincare treatments do you regularly have done?
I actually haven’t had any dermabrasion, lasers, or medical peels done yet. But I think in the next year or so I will explore a series of photo facials to treat some sun damaged areas.
7. What lifestyle habits do you have that keep your skin in top shape?
I drink a lot of water, exercise regularly, get facials regularly, and invest in quality products.
8. What’s in your makeup bag?
I have two types of lip balm, a Beauty Counter Calendula one, and Lanolips Banana flavored, Agave Lip Mask in Champagne by Bite (which I don’t use as a mask, but a lip balm), Sheer tint in Twig by Beauty Counter, cuticle oil, and a Tide stick pen for stains.
Thank you, Deborah!