Winter is coming. It’ll bring Christmas, hot chocolate, and… That’s pretty much all I like about winter.
What I don’t like? The freezing cold temperatures and unrelenting chilly winds that cause havoc on my skin and hair.
Gone is the soft, glowy, flawless skin I enjoyed all summer long. In winter, when I look in the mirror, I see a scaly reptilian with dull, flaky skin and lifeless hair. Ugh.
Not this year. I’m determined to tackle all these problems head-on, so I, and you, can enjoy great skin all winter long.
Here are 7 winter beauty problems, solved:
Winter Beauty Problem #1: Dry, Flaky Skin
The cold winter weather robs your skin of the essential moisture it needs to stay soft and healthy. Without it, it becomes all dry and flaky. Hello, alligator! In the worst cases, there’s bleeding too. Ouch!
- CeraVe AM Face Moisturiser SPF 30 ($16.40): available at iHerb, Ulta and Walmart
- Clinique Smart Treatment Oil ($44.50): available at Look Fantastic, Selfridges, Sephora and Ulta
- Paula’s Choice Clinical Ultra-Rich Moisturiser ($31.00): available at Dermstore, Look Fantastic and Paula’s Choice
Need help creating the perfect routine for dry skin? Click on the image below to subscribe to my newsletter and receive the “Dry Skin Skincare Routine Cheatsheet.” It tells you the right order for both your AM and PM skincare routine + my fave product recommendations:
The Best Skincare Routine For Dry Skin
Sign up to receive the best skincare routine for dry skin cheat sheet.
Winter Beauty Problem #2: Flaky Foundation
If you’re having a bad skin day, an acne outbreak or discolourations, you can just put foundation on and… Hello, gorgeous, flawless skin! But when your skin is dry and flaky? Your foundation will go on flaky and crusty too! Ugh, so annoying!
Using a richer moisturizer to fix your skin helps. But, it won’t work overnight. In the meantime, what are you supposed to do? Switch to a more moisturizing foundation, too. Or, if you don’t need much coverage, a BB Cream, CC Cream, or tinted moisturizer that evens out the skintone while boosting your skin’s hydration.
- Becca Aqua Luminous Perfecting Foundation ($44.00): available at Cult Beauty, Sephora, SpaceNK and Ulta
- Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation SPF15 (£32.00): available at Cult Beauty, Feel Unique, Net-A-Porter and Nordstrom
- Laura Mercier Silk Creme Moisturizing Edition Foundation ($48.00): available at Cult Beauty, Feel Unique, Sephora and SpaceNK
Winter Beauty Problem #3: Sallow Complexion
When skin is dry and flaky, it’s not able to naturally slough off dead cells. Instead, they accumulate on the surface, leaving your face dull and lifeless. All the light’s taken out of it.
A little exfoliation can help. My favourite exfoliants contain glycolic acid. They’re multitaskers that exfoliate skin, hydrate it and boost collagen production (bye bye wrinkles!). There’s nothing better for dry winter skin.
- Alpha Skincare Enhanced Renewal Cream ($16.99): available at Dermstore and Ulta
- Paula’s Choice Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment With 5% AHA ($33.00): available at Dermstore, Paula’s Choice and Selfridges
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution (£6.80): available at Adore Beauty, Beauty Bay and Cult Beauty
Winter Beauty Problem #4: Runny Mascara
Those chilly winds can make you cry. As those two or three tears trickle down your face, so does your mascara. And, of course, you’re always the last to notice! For some reason, people think it’s more polite to let you go about your business looking like a racoon than gently telling you your mascara has smeared… Go figure.
Unless you dig the raccoon look (raccoons do have their charms 😉 ), invest in a good waterproof mascara. They’re more stubborn and able to resist water, sweat, and whatever you throw at it.
- Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara (26.00): available at Debenhams, Nordstrom, Selfridges and Sephora
- Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara ($32.00): available at Debenhams, Feel Unique and Nordstrom
- Dior DiorShow Waterproof Mascara ($29.50): available at Feel Unique, Harrods, Neiman Marcus and Sephora
Winter Beauty Problem #5: Red And Itchy Cheeks
Brrr! It’s freezing cold outside. And that wind! It makes your cheeks all red. And no, I’m not talking about that healthy I’ve-just-returned-from-a-brisk-walk-in-the-cold rosy cheeks. Nope, this is full on irritation! And there’s nothing pretty about it.
The solution? Toners, serums, and moisturizers full of aloe vera, green tea, allantoin, chamomile, and other soothing agents. They calm down irritations, reduce redness, and help skin get healthy again.
- Paula’s Choice Calm Redness Relief Repairing Serum ($34.00): available at Dermstore, Look Fantastic and Paula’s Choice
- Dermalogica Gentle Soothing Booster ($50.00): available at Look Fantastic
- Niod Modulating Glucosides ($21.00): available at Skinstore
Winter Beauty Problem #6: Chapped Lips
Winter isn’t happy with destroying only your skin. No, no, it must cause havoc on your lips as well. Cracks, bleeding, peeling… It’s not a pretty sight. It hurts, too.
Being a lip balm addict doesn’t save you. But switching to a more hydrating, richer formula will. In winter, it’s all about hydration.
- Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 ($7.50): available at Look Fantastic, Nordstrom, Sephora and Ulta
- La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Lips (£4.50): available at Feel Unique
- Lanolips 101 Ointment Superbalm ($16.95): available at Feel Unique, Nordstrom, and Ulta
Winter Beauty Problem #7: Sunburns
I bet you didn’t expect to see sunburns here. Aren’t they a summer problem? Not really. You can get a sunburn all year round. Especially when you go on holiday in the mountains.
You’re way closer to the sun, but the cold temperatures and snowy paths fool you into thinking you won’t get burned. You skip the sun protection. Next thing you know, you’ve got a sunburn.
Luckily, there’s a very simple solution. Pile on the sunscreen! And don’t forget to reapply it regularly throughout the day.
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 ($34.00): available at Sephora
- Elta MD UV Lotion Broad-Spectrum SPF 30 Plus ($35.00): available at Dermstore and Walmart
- Niod Survival 30 (£25.00): available at Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty, Feel Unique and Net-A-Porter
The Bottom Line
Don’t let winter woes catch you unaware! Follow the tips above, and get ready to rock healthy skin, flawless makeup, and a kissable pout through rain, snow, and hail all winter long.
What winter beauty problems often affect you and how do you deal with them? Share your tips in the comments below.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.