The problem with antioxidant serums?
They barely contain any antioxidants. Seriously, most brands pick one random antioxidant, add a couple of drops to the formula and tell you it’s better than Botox. As if…
Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum is one of the few exceptions to the rule. This baby is packed to the brim with all kinds of antioxidants you can think of – and it’s super affordable too!
What’s In Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum?
ANTIOXIDANTS TO PREVENT PREMATURE AGING
Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum is loaded with antioxidants. Here are the highlights:
- Glutathione: A tripeptide comprised of three amino acids (cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine), it helps defend skin against environmental damage and the premature aging it causes. It also helps brighten skin.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A stable form of Vitamin C, it helps fight free radicals, boosts collagen production, brighten skin, and even hydrate it.
- Superoxide Dismutase: An enzyme naturally produced by the body to reduce the harmful effects of DNA damage (including wrinkles). A 2001 study has also found that it can help heal wounds caused from burns in rats.
NIACINAMIDE FOR… EVERYTHING
Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3 that does everything:
- Hydrating: It reduces transpidermal water loss (it’s even more effective than petroleum jelly)
- Acne treatment: While it can’t single-handedly get rid of acne, it helps to heal it faster
- Brightening: It reduces sallowness and hyperpigmentation
- Soothing: It calms down rosacea and irritations
- Anti-aging: It help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Impressive, isn’t it?
LACTOBACILLUS/KELP FERMENT FILTRATE
After water, Lactobacillus/Kelp Ferment Filtrate is the main ingredient of this serum. What does it do? It forms a protective film on the skin that helps to keep it moisturized.
Cos your skin needs all the moisture it can get. More moisture = brighter, smoother, softer skin.
Need help creating an anti-aging routine that really works? Sign up to the newsletter below to receive the “Anti-Aging Skincare Routine Cheatsheet” (it includes product recommendations, too!).
Lightweight and fast-absorbing.
Strong. Unpleasant. (Nothing’s perfect).
How To Use It
Morning and night, after cleansing (and exfoliation).
Performance & Personal Opinion
Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum is one of my fave antioxidant serums – and not just because it’s so affordable.
Antioxidant serums are tricky to review. Antioxidants prevent damage. They don’t treat it. You know what that means?
Too often, they look like they don’t do much of anything in the moment. But 20 years later, you realise you have fewer wrinkles than your friends who didn’t bother to use one. Got it?
This serum is a little different because it hydrates and brightens your skin straight away. So, you’ll definitely see an improvement. But don’t expect any serious reduction in wrinkles. You need to invest in the long haul for that.
Who Is This For?
Everyone can use it.
Who Is This NOT For?
I recommend it to everyone, unless you’re allergic to one of the ingredients (obvs!).
Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum comes in a white and green bottle. It’s a bit flimsy, but hygienic and keeps the antioxidant stable and effective for long.
Did Skin Actives Antioxidant Facial Serum Live Up To Its Claims?
|Using a custom combination of antioxidants, Antioxidant Serum helps fight free radicals formed by exposure to the sun, pollution, and heat better than Vitamin C Serum alone.||True. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, but it’s just one. The more antioxidants you use, the better.|
|It is oil free and works on all skin types.||True.|
|Moisturizes and soothes.||True.|
Price & Availability
$23.99/£20.69 at Skin Actives
Do You Need It?
Yes. If you want to prevent premature aging, this is one of the best serums out there.
Dupes & Alternatives
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum ($80.00)
- Paula’s Choice Resist Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum ($38.00)
Water, Sea Kelp (Lactobacillus/Kelp Ferment Filtrate) Bioferment, Sodium PCA, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C), Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Ferulic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Epigallocatechin Gallate, Niacinamide, Carnosine, Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone, Carnitine, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane (and) Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane (and) Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Sorghum Bicolor Leaf/Stem Extract, Lycopene, Astaxanthin, Fucoxanthin, Porphyridium Polysaccharide, Glutathione, sh-Polypeptide-2, sh-Polypeptide-77 (Glutaredoxin (GRX)), Superoxide Dismutase, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Methylparaben (and) Propylparaben.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.