Niod Survival 30 is a sunscreen on steroids.
It doesn’t just protect you from UV rays. It also has a ton of antioxidants and other cool technologies that strengthen your skin’s defences against environmental assaults.
And it’s super lightweight. No greasy feeling. No white cast (at least, not on pale skin). Is this the perfect sunscreen?
What’s In Niod Survival 30?
ZINC OXIDE + TITANIUM DIOXIDE TO PROTECT SKIN FROM UV RAYS
If you’re a regular here, you know zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are my fave UV filters. Here’s what makes these two white minerals so special:
- They protect you from both UVA and UVB rays: Ok, titanium dioxide protects you from some UVA rays and all UVB rays but still… compare that with chemical UV filters that only protect you from one or the other. No wonder you need to use 4 or 5 of them to get some proper sun protection!
- They’re gentle on the skin: A lot of chemical UV filters are irritating or cause allergies. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide don’t. They’re so gentle, you can use them even on babies (after they turn 6 months old!).
- They don’t generate free radicals: Some chemical UV filters can do that. Sure, you can use antioxidants to neutralise them but isn’t it better to use UV filters that don’t do that in the first place?
While we’re on the subject, mineral filters like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide work just like chemical filters: they absorb UV rays and transform them into a less damaging form of heat (energy). The difference? Mineral UV filters also reflect and scatter away a small amount of UV rays. They do double duty. 🙂
The catch? Mineral filters can be thick, greasy and leave a ghostly white cast on the skin. Niod fixes some of that mess with the next group of ingredients…
Related: Mineral Vs Chemical Sunscreen: Which One Should You Choose?
SILICONES TO ENHANCE TEXTURE
I know, I know. Some of you don’t want anything to do with silicones. But, in this case, they’re here for a good reason.
The high-volatility (i.e. a fancy way to say they evaporate quickly when applied onto the skin) of the silicones used here makes the formula lightweight, non-greasy, and easy to spread on the skin.
If that’s what it takes to make mineral sunscreen an actual pleasure to use, I’m down with that.
Related: Are Silicones Bad For Skin?
ANTIOXIDANTS AND PROBIOTICS TO BOOST SUN PROTECTION
There are too many to mention them all without boring you to death, so here are the highlights:
- Purified Lutein: A carotenoid antioxidants that fights free radicals and protects against UVB-induced photo damage.
- Superoxide Dismutase: A powerful antioxidant that destroys Superoxide, the worst family of free radicals out there. It also reduces inflammation.
- Prebiotic Complex of Gluco-Oligosaccharides and Inulin: UV rays can kill some of the good bacteria on your skin. This probiotic complex supports these good bacteria, keeping your skin strong and healthy.
- Alteromonas ferment: A type of algae that forms a physical shield that protects skin from pollution. It also hydrates skin.
All together, these antioxidants and probiotics strengthen your skin’s natural defences against UV rays, pollution, climate changes and all the other environmental factors that can damage it. That’s how they keep your skin smooth, young and healthy.
Related: Is Superoxide Dismutase The Most Powerful Antioxidant Of All?
Is your sunscreen up to the job? Download your FREE “Sunscreen Audit” cheatsheet to find out if your sunscreen is both effective AND safe:
The texture is incredibly lightweight and an absolute pleasure to use. I’ve used plenty of mineral sunscreens in the past but texture-wise, this is the one that comes closer to the lightweight, fluid texture of chemical sunscreens we all love so much.
How To Use It
It’s the last step of your skincare routine. You needly rough 1/4 of a teaspoon for the face alone. Don’t forget to reapply regularly during the day.
Performance & Personal Opinion
Niod Survival 30 isn’t a tinted sunscreen. It’s true it’s a light beige in colour, but that doesn’t provide any coverage. As soon as you apply it, the colour blends into the skin and disappears.
At least, it does on me. I haven’t tried it on dark skin so I can’t guarantee it won’t look ashy on darker skin tones. But on fair to medium skin, it doesn’t leave any white or ashy cast behind.
The texture is so lightweight, I can easily build it up without making a shiny, greasy mess on my face. The finish is actually semi-matte. My oily T-zone likes it as much as my drier cheeks.
But what about sun protection? I’ve been using it for the past month. Amid the rain, we had some beautiful summer days when the sun shone brightly and I felt my skin was well-protected. I didn’t get a tan or anything like that. Yay!
I just wish Niod made a bigger version for the body as well. 🙂
Who Is This For?
Anyone can use it.
Who Is This NOT For?
The bottle is small, so if you’re on a budget, this isn’t the most cost-effective option.
A small, UV-tinted glass bottle with a pump applicator. It’s functional and sleek, but won’t last you long.
Does Niod Survival 30 Live Up To Its Claims?
|Despite their lightweight texture, these formulations offer a broad selection of advanced technologies to target the effects of oxygen radicals including the superoxide radical, nitrogen radicals, carbonyl radicals, glycation and advanced glycation end-products (AGE), pollution, smog, stress, infrared and blue light.||True.|
|In addition to these protection systems, Survival 30 offers mineral-only UVB and UVA protection of SPF30 (PA+++).||True.|
Price & Availability
£25.00 at Beauty Bay, Cult Beauty and Feel Unique
Do You Need It?
If you’ve avoided mineral sunscreens in the past because of their white, greasy textures, you need to try this. You’ll fall in love with it too, I promise.
Dupes & Alternatives
- Dr Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 ($42.00)
- Paula’s Choice Defense Essential Glow Moisturiser SPF 30 ($29.00)
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Propanediol, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Dimethylmethoxy Chromanol, Inulin, Alpha-glucan oligosaccharide, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract, Superoxide Dismutase, Xanthophyll, Pinus Pinaster Bark Extract, Polygonum Aviculare Extract, Alteromonas Ferment Extract, Padina Pavonica Thallus Extract, Arginine, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threonine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Aspartic Acid, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Squalane, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Melanin, Sucrose, Tapioca Starch, Stearic Acid, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Pentylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Tromethamine, Ethoxydiglycol, Alumina, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol