I wish creams and lotions could get rid of wrinkles, large pores, and all that stuff for good. But, often, the best they can do is just hide them.
Hiding imperfections is something La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur Instant Oil-Absorbing Coverage Cream Mousse (what a mouthful!) does very well. Here’s why:
What’s In La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur?
SILICONES TO HIDE IMPERFECTIONS
Wanna know the magic ingredient that makes this Blur Cream work so well? I know many won’t like it, but here it is: silicones.
There’s a reason (or five) why silicones are everywhere:
- Silicones fill in fine lines and wrinkles, so they look temporarily smaller.
- Silicones smoothen skin. The smoother skin is, the better it can reflect light. All that light helps hide imperfections – the naked eye literally can’t see them anymore.
- Silicones make products spread so easily on the skin, helping a lot with blending, too. While I wouldn’t say that Effaclar BB Blur blends effortlessly, it is really easy to apply.
- Silicones can also helps absorb excess oil. If you have combo skin, Effaclar BB Blur can help keep the shine at bay for a few hours. But, if it’s very oily, don’t expect miracles.
- Silicones create a protective barrier on the skin that reduces water loss, helping to keep skin hydrated.
This barrier is the reason why silicones are so misunderstood. A barrier implies something impenetrable that lets nothing in or out, and so won’t allow skin to perspire.
But, silicones have a particular structure, which is made up of large molecules with space between each molecule. So, skin can do its thing even with silicones on top of it.
Related: Are Silicones Bad For Skin?
Need help creating an anti-aging routine that really works? Sign up to the newsletter below to receive the “Anti-Aging Skincare Routine Cheatsheet” (it includes product recommendations, too!).
How To Use It
Apply it in the morning, 15 minutes after sunscreen. You can use your hands or a beauty blender.
Performance & Personal Opinion
La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur comes in two shades: Fair Light and Light Medium. They’re both similar… and a little too dark for me. If you’ve got pale skin or dark skin, you won’t find a match. Annoying, right?
If you can find a match, you’re in for a treat. The mousse quickly airbrushes skin, blurring pores, wrinkles, and other small imperfections for that “my face but better” look. Keep in mind, though, that I don’t have any serious imperfections to hide.
Because Effaclar BB Blur has a very light coverage, you can’t rely on the pigment to help out the silicones in their blurring action. So, while it can definitely make any complexion look better, if you have severe dark circles or dark spots, you’re still better off with a high-coverage foundation.
Who Is This For?
Who Is This Not For?
- Pale and dark skin tones – you won’t find a good match
- Anyone who doesn’t like silicones
- Anyone with serious imperfections like very dark circles or hyperpigmentation
- Dry skin
A beige tube. Sleek and practical.
Does La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur Live Up To Its Claims?
|A tinted BB cream that blurs the appearance of pores and blemishes.||True.|
|Moisturising BB coverage for oily skin that blurs the appearance of pores and blemishes.||It’s not moisturising.|
|The cream-mousse formula controls sebum production, excess shine and sweat.||It helps keep excess oil under control for a few hours.|
|Contains blur technology and shade-adapting BB pigment which adapts to the colour of the skin on application to visibly blur the appearance of pores, fine lines and redness for a matte, unified, velvety finish all day long.||Mostly true. But it won’t suit light and dark skin tones and it doesn’t stay matte for the whole day.|
Price & Availability
Price & Availability: $29.99/£17.00 at Escentual and Feel Unique
Do You Need It?
If you have oily skin and need a sheer BB Cream that can blur out pores and blemishes (but not dark spots), this is a good option to consider.
Dupes & Alternatives
- Cover FX Blurring Primer ($38.00)
- Dermalogica Hydrablur Primer ($49.00)
- Erborian Matte Creme ($42.00)
Dimethicone, Undecane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tridecane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silica Silylate, Perlite, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Retinyl Linoleate, Aluminium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides