Cleanse, tone, moisturize.
Put on serum and sunscreen.
Use a sheet mask.
Don’t forget to exfoliate.
And have you heard of essences?
Geez, your skincare routine is getting longer every day! Can’t brands stop releasing a new “innovative” product every 5 minutes?!
But, wait. Do you really need to spend 20 minutes every morning to put 10+ products on your face not to compromise on results?
Nope. While skin can benefit from the extra product of two, there are just 3 products it truly needs on a daily basis.
These 3 oldies but goodies form the base of any good skincare routine. Everything’s else just a welcome addition:Cleanser, antioxidant serum, sunscreen: the 3 essential daily skincare products you need for flawless, radiant skin.
Essential Skincare Product #1: Cleanser To Enhance Penetration Of Active Ingredients
I know, cleansers are hardly exciting. All they do is remove dirt from your face. But that happens to be the foundation of a good skincare routine.
Because, who wants dirt on their face? Plus, what’s the point of applying your precious serums or moisturizers if they comfortably sit on a thick layer of dirt and grime and can’t get through to the skin?
- Corsx low PH Good Morning Gel Cleanser ($11.00): pH 5.5. Available at Sokoglam and YesStyle.
- Paula’s Choice Moisture Boost Cleanser One Step Face Cleanser ($18.00): pH 5.5. Available at Paula’s Choice.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser ($18.00): pH 5.5. Available at Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice.
Essential Skincare Product #2: Antioxidants Rich Serum To Prevent Wrinkles
Antioxidants are your skin’s BFF. They promote collagen production, fight free radicals, and can even help treat sun damage. All things that keep wrinkles and sun spots away from your skin.
Every brand has its darling, but the truth is there’s no super antioxidant that’s better than all the rest. Just like your body doesn’t only need kale, your skin doesn’t only need vitamin C.
A combiation of antioxidants is the way to go. My fave is vitamin C + vitamin E + ferulic acid (CEF). Studies show they enhance one another’s effectiveness and boost sun protection.
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum ($80.00): available at Cult Beauty, Sephora and SpaceNK
- Paula’s Choice C15 Booster ($49.00): available at Dermstore, Feel Unique, Nordstrom and Paula’s Choice
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($166.00): available at Blue Mercury and Dermstore
Essential Skincare Products #3: Sunscreen To Prevent 90% Of Sun Damage
The last, but by no means least, is sunscreen. It prevents all kinds of sun damage, including fine lines and wrinkles, darks spots, and skin cancer.
You can use all the best skincare products in the world, but, if you stubbornly insist on skipping sunscreen, you’re sabotaging your efforts and throwing your money away.
All my fave sunscreens have zinc oxide. This white mineral provides broad spectrum protection without irritate skin.
The only “problem”? It can leave a white cast behind. If that bothers you, opt for a tinted formula.
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 ($34.00): available at Sephora.
- Elta MD UV Pure Broad Spectrum SPF 47 ($25.00): available at Dermstore, SkincareRX and Walmart.
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ WetForce For Sensitive Skin And Children ($42.00): available at Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Sephora
Are you using these 3 skincare essentials daily? Do you have others you would like to add to the list? Share your experience in the comments below.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.