This time last year, I was having my first Bioptic Eye Contour Treatment to treat my dark circles and rejuvenate the eye area at Ellora Skincare, a charming little clinic in Tunbridge Wells.
This year, we’re in full lockdown and beauty clinics are closed. 🙁 So, I’m doing the next best thing: trying out the new Ellora skincare range.
First up, Ellora Sun Protector Cream SPF 50+:
What’s In Ellora Sun Protector Cream SPF 50+?
UV FILTERS TO PROVIDE BROAD SPECTRUM PROTECTION
Ellora Sun Protector Cream SPF 50+ uses a mix of old and new generation chemical filters to provide high sun protection without a white cast or greasy feel:
- Octocrylene: An UV filter that protects from ALL UVB but only short UVA rays. It also makes sunscreens water-resistant and boosts the effectiveness of other UV filters (like avobenzone).
- Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate: A.k.a. Octyl Methoxycinnamate. It protects skin from UVB rays and helps other UV filters last longer, too.
- Ethylhexyl Salicylate: A.k.a. Octyl Salicylate, an UVB filter with a slightly oily consistency and a mild floral scent.
- Ethylexyl Triazone: Another UVB filter (how many are there?!).
- Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate: A new generation chemical filter that provides high UVA protection. It’s also very stable in the sun (i.e. it doesn’t stop working after 2 hours like Avobenzone). It’s used worldwide except for Canada and the US (the FDA loves to takes decades to approve new UV filters…)
Related: 6 Things To Look Out For When Buying Sunscreen
ANTIOXIDANTS TO BOOST SUN PROTECTION
Antioxidants themselves can’t protect your skin from UV rays. But, they do the next best thing…
Should some UV rays hit your skin, antioxidants stop the chain of aging free radicals they initiate, helping to keep your skin younger for longer.
The main antioxidants here are:
- Resurrection Flower (Haberlea Rhodopensis) Extract: It helps to boost collagen and elastin, the proteins that keep your skin firm and elastic.
- Tocopheryl Acetate: A form of Vitamin E that fights free radicals and hydrates skin.
- Ubiquinone: A.k.a. Coenzyme Q10, a fat soluble antioxidant present in all human cells. It helps fight free radicals, stimulate the production of collagen and reduce UV damage.
Related: Common Antioxidants Used In Skincare: Which One Is Best For You?
Is your sunscreen up to the job? Download your FREE “Sunscreen Audit” to find out if your sunscreen is both safe and effective:
Lightweight. Fast-absorbing. Leaves a little sheen behind that makes skin look glowy.
It smells like sunscreen.
How To Use It
Apply 1/3 of a tablespoon on your face (more if you’re going to use it on other area) and reapply regularly during the day. Pat, don’t rub!
Performance & Personal Opinion
I love the texture of Ellora Sun Protector Cream SPF 50+. Yellow in colour, the lightweight texture sinks immediately into my skin, leaving a slight sheen behind.
I like it. It gives my dry cheeks that as-if-lit-from-within glow. But if your skin is very oily, it may just look shiny on you.
The best thing about the texture? It makes it easy to pile on the sunscreen for maximum protection without turning into a white, greasy mess.
Granted, it’s the middle of winter here in London, so I’m not at risk of sunburns. So, why am I piling on the sunscreen?
UV rays are present all year round, from the moment that sun comes up to the moment it goes down. They pass through dark clouds and windows, and even get reflected on snow. Just because you can’t see them, doesn’t mean they’re not aging you.
I wear sunscreen every day in winter to prevent wrinkles, dark spots, and even dryness. I know this sunscreen covers all the bases because it provides high protection, has its fair share of antioxidants to neutralise free radicals, and a lovely texture that actually makes you want to use it – often.
Who Is This For?
Most people can use it, but it’s mostly suitable for normal to dry skin.
Who Is This NOT For?
- Oily skin: You may dislike the sheen it leaves on skin.
- Sensitive skin: The fragrance may irritate your skin.
A yellow bottle with a pump applicator. Sleek and practical, it never releases too much product.
Does Ellora Sun Protector Cream SPF 50+ Live Up To Its Claims?
|Sun Protector SPF 50 + is an innovative invisible formula that provides very high protection against the damaging effects of UVA/UVB rays.||True.|
|It safeguards the healthy complexion of the skin by protecting it against sunburn, the reappearance of brown spots, cell damage, dryness, and roughness.||True.|
|Its texture easily and completely blends into the skin without leaving white residue for invisible maximum sun protection.||True.|
Price & Availability
£19.00 at Ellora Skincare
Do You Need It?
If you’re looking for a sunscreen that provides high sun protection without the white cast or greasy texture, this is a great option to consider.
Dupes & Alternatives
- Bioderma Cicabio SPF 50+ (£10.00)
Aqua, Octocrylene, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, DI-C12-13 Alkyl Malate, Diisopropyl Adipate, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Acrylates Copolymer, Lecithin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ubiquinone, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, BHT, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Parfum, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone