Remember when the mere thought of putting oil on your skin had you running in the opposite direction?
I still feel like that with coconut oil. I love it as a deep conditioning treatment. It makes my hair so incredibly soft and strong. It works wonders to heal chapped lips, too.
But it’s SO comedogenic, I don’t have the guts to put it on my skin. That’s why I’ve left Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt languish in a drawer for months (I don’t even remember how I got it – probably a gift with purchase).
I found it again when I was packing for my move. It was the perfect time to try it. If I didn’t like it, I’d simply give it to a friend instead than bringing it with me to a new place.
But I didn’t go all the way… Here’s what I mean:
Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt is 100% organic coconut oil. This oil is high in saturated fats, like lauric, myristic and palmitic. These fats make sure coconut oil oxidizes (i.e. goes bad) slowly.
It’s these fatty acids that make coconut oil so incredibly moisturizing.Studies show it’s as good as mineral oil at moisturizing skin. It’s also very gentle so babies can use it too.
Coconut oil is also the best oil for hair. It’s one of the very few oils that can penetrate inside the hair shaft, strengthening and nourishing your hair from within. It makes it stronger, shinier, and prevents breakage.
The catch? Coconut oil is comedogenic and can give you pimples. This is more of a problem with oily, acne-prone skin. If yours is dry, you can get away with slathering it all over your skin without getting a single zit.
How To Use Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt
Here’s how Dr Jackson’s say you can use Coconut Melt:
- Smooth onto face to minimise the appearance of fine lines or highlight cheekbones
- Condition hair: rub a small amount into ends as needed, or use as an intensive hair treatment before bed, then rinse out the following morning
- Spot-treat dry areas, such as lips and cuticles
- Can be used to remove eye make-up, followed on with Dr Jackson’s 07 Face Wash
Let’s Put It To The Test Personal Use & Opinion
When I first got Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt, it had a white, solid texture. When I found it again last month, the oil had liquefied. Totally normal with coconut oil. If it’s too hot, it melts.
But hey, it still works and that’s what matters. I spent the new few days trying it out in as many ways as possible:
- Lip balm: Now that I have braces, my lips can get really dry and sore. Just a layer of this and they become super soft and smooth – for hours. I honestly don’t have to reapply more than twice a day.
- Eye makeup remover: It does a wonderful job at removing all traces of makeup, including waterproof mascara, quickly. It leaves a greasy residue behind, so I have to follow up with another cleanser. If you wear A LOT of makeup, it’s worth the hassle.
- Conditioner: I LOVE it as a deep conditioning treatment. I leave it on my hair for a couple of hours before washing it off. It makes my hair so soft, silky smooth and so easy to manage. My hair doesn’t tangle or break as much afterwards.
- Highlighter: Not a fan of this. It’s way too shiny as a highlighter.
- Face Moisturizer: Remember when I told you I didn’t go all the way? I didn’t have the guts to use it on my face. But it’s a great moisturiser for my dry legs. It keeps them soft and smooth for hours.
I can’t say that Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt made me breakout – but that’s because I chickened out and didn’t try it on the oilier areas of my face.
If you’re into natural skincare and want a multitasking product that can do a bit of everything, Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt fits the bill. But unless you have dry skin, don’t use it all over your face!
P.S. The 15ml version is perfect for travelling.
SHOP THE POST
Have you tried Dr Jackson’s Coconut Melt? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Ingredients: Coconut (Cocos Nucifera) Oil* *Organic, 100% Natural
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.