How well do you know your nails?
Probably not as well as you think. Here are some interesting facts about them that may surprise you:
1. Nails, just like hair, are made of keratin, a tough insoluble protein.
2. Fingernails grow faster than toenails. Fingernails grow at a rate of about 2.5 mm each month, which means it takes about 3 to 6 months to completely replace a fingernail. Toenails, instead, grow only about 1mm a month. That’s why it takes more than a year (12-18 months) to replace a toenail.
3. Nails grow faster in summer than in winter.
4. Men’s nails grow faster than women’s (except during pregnancy).
5. Age, malnutrition, and hormone imbalance are all factors that can affect nails’ growth.
6. The nail plate is made up of dead cells, which means it can’t breath. It’s the nails beds and cuticles that are made up of living cells that need to breathe.
7. Nails can tell you if you’re ill. A change in colour, dents, ridges, black lines, swelling around the nails and pain can all be signs that something’s wrong. That’s why you should never wear nail polish when you go to the doctor.
Do you know any other interesting facts about nails?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.