You know you’ll get eye wrinkles one day… But why must that day be now?!
Like, you’re not even 30 and yet, there they are, lining your eyes and making you look 5 years older. Ugh. Life is so unfair…
Sure, the skin around the eyes is very delicate and ages more quickly than the rest of the face. But, can’t you put off those pesky eye wrinkles for a little longer?
Yes. Here are 4 tips to prevent eye wrinkles – or crow’s feet, as we “affectionately” call them from appearing too soon:
How To Prevent Eye Wrinkles
1. Pat Your Eye Products On With Your Ring Finger
Are you rubbing eye cream into the eye area? Stop.
The undereye area is very delicate. Rubbing or tugging can give you wrinkles. Instead of rubbing, pat your eye cream in with your ring finger. It’s the weakest finger, i.e. the gentlest.
I know it’s a very simple thing, but it’s always the basics that mess you up. Applying an eye cream right is half the work.
Related: The Right Way To Apply Eye Cream
Need help creating an anti-aging routine that really works? Sign up to the newsletter below to receive the “Anti-Aging Skincare Routine Cheatsheet” (it includes product recommendations, too!).
2. Use An Antioxidant Serum To Fight Free Radicals
Think of antioxidants like the anti-wrinkle police.
They patrol your body looking for free radicals, the nasty criminals that destroy your collagen and elastin (the proteins that keep your skin firm and elastic) and everything else they touch.
Once they find a free radical, they neutralise it before it can wreak any serious damage. Phew!
A few antioxidants (like vitamin C) boost the production of collagen, too. More collagen = firmer, smoother skin.
By the way, when it comes to antioxidants, the more, the merrier. Vitamin C + Vitamin E + Ferulic acid is a good combination to start with, but the more antioxidants your skincare products contain, the better.
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum ($80.00/£67.00): available at Cult Beauty, Sephora and SpaceNK
- Paula’s Choice C15 Booster ($49.00): available at Feel Unique and Paula’s Choice
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($166.00): available at Adore Beauty, Blue Mercury and Dermstore
Related: What Are The Best Antioxidant Serums?
3. Apply Sunscreen Every Day, Rain Or Shine
I can’t stress this enough. UV rays are the #1 cause of aging.
You can use all the antioxidant serums in the world, but nothing is gonna keep those wrinkles away if you don’t wear sunscreen EVERY single day, rain or shine.
It’s that important. Think about it. If UV rays generate more free radicals than antioxidants can cope with, eye wrinkles are only a matter of time.
Wear your sunscreen. And then wear it again. Top it up every few hours to be on the safe side.
When it comes to antiaging, sunscreen does 90% of the work. Skip it at your peril.
- EltaMD UV Pure Broad-Spectrum SPF 47 ($25.00): available at Dermstore and Walmart
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF 50 Sunscreen + WetForce For Sensitive Skin & Children ($42.00): available at Nordstrom and Ulta
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 ($34.00): available at Blue Mercury and Dermstore
Related: How To Reapply Sunscreen When You’re Wearing Makeup
4. Wear Sunglasses On Sunny Days
UV rays are sneaky. They damage your skin in all kinds of ways.
It’s not just the free radicals they generate when they hit your skin that give you eye wrinkles. Their light is bad as well.
All that squinting overtimes leaves eye wrinkles deeply etched into the skin. Pile on the sunscreen and then don your eyeglasses.
Now you can leave the house without worrying about eye wrinkles. Phew!
Related: 4 Ways To Protect Your Skin From The Sun