Salicylic acid was my go-to for pimples. If you had told me one day I’d stray from it, I wouldn’t have believed you.
Then ZO Skin Health Oeffects Sulfur Masque came into my life. It changed EVERYTHING.
Salicylic acid does a lot to prevent pimples but takes its sweet time to get rid of them once they’ve made an appearance. Sulfur kicks them off your face way faster.
But… Where’s the catch? Something can’t be THAT good and have no side effects, right? Well…
Sulfur is a natural mineral that plays an essential role in the health of connective tissues, skin, muscles, bones, teeth, and hair. It helps your cells make an efficient use of oxygen, gives strength to your hair, and is even part of your DNA. It’s quite the multitasker!
You can find sulfur in areas of high volcanic activity as well as many foods, including beans, meats, onions, eggs, fish, and garlic.
You know when sulfur’s around. It smells like rotten eggs. Eww!
What does sulfur do for Your skin?
Lots of things:
- It has antibacterial properties, so it kills the bacteria that cause acne
- It helps prevents acne-causing bacteria from spreading
- It helps exfoliate dead skin cells, accelerating cellular turnover and preventing breakouts
- It helps dry out blemishes
- It helps reduce oiliness, keeping breakouts at bay
Does Sulfur Have Any Side Effects?
Well, since you asked, there IS a problem.
Sulfur has a high ph, which can disrupt the skin’s protective barrier. When this happens, moisture evaporates until your skin gets all dried out. Bacteria and germs can now get inside your skin too, making it more prone to irritations.
This is why I use ZO Skin Health Oeffects Sulfur Masque only as a spot treatment. The brand says you can use it as a mask but I don’t think slathering sulfur all over your face is a good idea. I don’t want to dry out my skin just to get rid of one small pimple.
Let me say it again: sulfur is for pimples only. if you don’t have them, don’t use it.Sulfur is a powerful anti-acne weapon, but it can also dry out skin. Use it carefully!
What Are The Best Products With Sulfur?
- Epionce Purifying Spot Gel ($38.00): available at at Dermstore
- Kate Sommerville EradiKate Mask Foam-Activated Acne Treatment ($54.00): available at Cult Beauty, Nordstrom and Sephora
- ZO Skin Health Oeffects Sulfur Masque ($45.00): available at ZOSkinHealth
The Bottom Line
Sulfur is a powerful weapon in the fight against acne and pimples. It’ll kill the nasty buggers super quickly. Just don’t use it anywhere else or you’ll fix one problem only to cause a worse one!
Have you ever used sulfur to get rid of pimples? Share your experience in the comments below.