Are you ready to party?
I can’t wait for the festive party season to start, but… my skin is dreading it. Gobbling on panettone, sipping a sparkling cocktail, and dancing the night away is going to be a lot of fun.
But, the next morning, I know I’ll wake up to gigantic dark circles under my eyes. Chances are my skin will look super dull. And, because bad things always come in three, a pimple may found its sneaky way on my nose, too.
Not this time. This year, I’m determined to prevent all that stuff from happening to my skin. This year I’m gonna party in style AND rock my best skin ever.
Will you join me? I hope so. Here’s our plan:
1. Hydrate Your Skin To Keep It Supple
Cold, harsh winter weather + alcohol = seriously dry and dehydrated skin.
If, unlike this boring teetotaller, you find it hard not to indulge in a tasty Cosmopolitan or Margaritas at Christmas parties, at least have a glass or two of water, as well. That’ll balance out the alcohol and keep your skin well-hydrated.
Another trick is to use serums and moisturizers with hyaluronic acid, an hydration hero that attracts and binds to the skin up to 1000 times its weight in water. Your skin will never be thirsty again.
- La Roche Posay Heal B5 Hyaluronic Acid Serum (£27.75): available at Feel Unique and Look Fantastic
- Niod Multi-Molecular Hyaluronic Acid (£25.00): available at Beauty Bay and Cult Beauty
- Paula’s Choice Resist Hyaluronic Acid Booster ($34.00): available at Dermstore, Nordstrom, and Paula’s Choice
Related: Why You Should Add Hyaluronic Acid To Your Skincare Routine
Struggling to create an anti-aging skincare routine that keeps wrinkles at bay and gives your skin a youthful glow? Download your FREE “Best Anti-Aging Skincare Routine” to get started. It features product recommendations + right order application:
2. Keep Your Lips Soft & Kissable
Cold weather and alcohol are an even deadlier combination for your skin. Keep them kissable by applying lip balm regularly throughout the day. My favourite ones are rich in oils or shea butter: they create a barrier on the lips that prevents moisture loss and keeps lips soft and smooth.
- Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 ($7.50): available at Look Fantastic, Nordstrom, Sephora and Ulta
- La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 Lips (£4.50): available at Feel Unique
- Lanolips 101 Ointment Superbalm ($16.95): available at Feel Unique, and Ulta
Related: 5 Tips To Treat And Prevent Chapped Lips
3. Exfoliate To Make Your Skin Glow
A bright, glowy complexion is the perfect base for makeup. And it’s so easy to achieve. You just need to exfoliate a few times a week.
I do it with glycolic acid, which can also hydrate skin and boost collagen production. If you have oily skin, opt for salicylic acid. It can penetrate inside the pores, keeping breakouts, and the excess oil that causes them, at bay.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ($29.00): available at Dermstore and Paula’s Choice
- The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution (£6.80): available at Beauty Bay and Cult Beauty
- The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% (£5.50): available at Cult Beauty and Feel Unique
Related: Glycolic Acid VS Salicylic Acid: Which One Should You Use?
4. Banish Last Minute Spots
Pimples have an annoying habit of springing up before a Christmas party, don’t they? I guess they want to join in on the fun, as well. But we won’t let them, ladies, right? We can easily banish them with a spot treatment.
Just make sure it contains either sulfur or benzoyl peroxide. They kill the bacteria that causes acne, but they’re harsh. Use them on your pimples only!
P.S. If you’re into natural remedies, try tea tree oil. It works just as well as BP (but only at 5% concentrations! – and you must dilute it first!)
- Dr Dennis Gross Clarifying Colloidal Sulfur Mask ($42.00): available at Dermstore, Net-A-Porter, Sephora and SpaceNK
- Malin + Goetz 10% Sulfur Paste (£19.00): available at Harvey Nichols
- Paula’s Choice Clear Extra Strength Daily Skin Clearing With 5% Benzoyl Peroxide ($19.00): available at Dermstore and Paula’s Choice
Related: Benzoyl Peroxide VS Salicylic Acid: Which One Should You Choose?
5. Perk Up Those Tired Eyes
Drinking, dancing, eating… Partying all night with family and friends is so much fun. But there’s a price to pay: dark circles. Ugh! If you can, get a solid 8 hours’ sleep the night before the party, so that you’ll look fresh-faced in the evening.
The next morning, revitalize the eye area with vitamin K and retinol. A 2006 study has showed that this combination improved dark under-eye circles in 93% of the people who took part in it.
The bad news is that I haven’t found an eye cream that contains both yet. Below is that the best we have now.
- Dr Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum ($69.00): available at Dermstore, Sephora and SpaceNK
- Peter Thomas Roth Power K Eye Rescue ($100.00): available at Sephora
Related: Is Vitamin K An Effective Treatment For Dark Circles?
6. Use A Sheet Mask For Any Last Minute Fix
Good skin doesn’t happen in a day. It’s the result of a healthy diet, exercise, and the right skincare products diligently applied every day. But, if you’re having a bad skin day, and are in need of a quick fix, try a sheet mask.
Think of sheet masks like a booster: whenever your skin’s feeling worse for wear, a sheet mask can plump up the hydration levels and give your face a fresh, radiant glow.
But, don’t use sheet masks as an excuse to neglect your skincare routine. Your skin won’t like that!
- Boscia Charcoal Pore-Minimizing Hydrogel Mask ($8.00): available at Sephora
- Dr Jart+ Dermask Micro Jet Clear Solution ($9.00): available at Sephora and Yes Style
Related: How To Choose The Best Type Of Face Mask For Your Skin Type
7. Wash It All Off Before You Go To Bed
I know, I know, after partying into the wee hours of the morning, who can be bothered to remove their makeup? Well, at the risk of sounding like a Grinch, you should, my friend. Sleeping with your makeup on is no good. It leaves your skin dull, and may even cause pimples.
Do you really want that, especially if you have another party to attend soon? Thought so. Do your skin a favour and remove your makeup with an oil-based cleanser. It’s the fastest (and gentlest) way to do it. 😉
- Banila Co. Clean It Zero ($19.00): available at Soko Glam and Yes Style
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm ($29.00/£24.00): available at Feel Unique, Nordstrom, Sephora and Ulta
Related: Truth Or Myth: Is Going To Bed With Your Makeup On Really As Bad As They Say?