Prevention is better than cure. It may be a cliché, but it’s true. Especially when it comes to your skin. If you invest in it now to prevent the damage, you won’t have to worry about wrinkles too much down the line.
That’s Sarah Sinden-Laflèche’s motto. After dappling in massages at the start of her career, Sarah decided to switch directions and pursue a degree in medical aesthetics.
Now a medical aesthetician at The Ottawa Skin Clinic, she consults and educates clients about how to best care for their own unique skin needs.
But how does she take care of her own skin? In this interview, Sarah shares her top tips for younger-looking skin, the skincare products she can’t live without, and more:
1. When did you become interested in skincare?
I became interested in skincare around the age of 18-19. This was also around the time I decided to take my masters of aesthetics course.
2. What’s your skincare routine like?
My skin care routine consists on skinceuticals products. In the morning I cleanse my skin with LHA cleanser, I apply my Phloretin CF vitamin C serum, HA intensifier, Metacell B3, Physical fusion SPF 30.
3. If you could only use three skincare products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
4. What are your fave skincare brands and why?
Both lines are very encompassing. They have everything you need. They are quality brands with lots of research supporting them. I also enjoy the fact that most of the time these products are sold in establishments with trained professionals who are knowledgeable in recommending the appropriate skin care.
5. What are your top 3 skincare tips to take care of your skin?
- Sunscreen!! Especially mineral based SPF’s.
- Botox and Fillers!! Don’t wait for wrinkles to happen before you decide to do something about them.
- Invest in your skin. You only have one! Make a point to regularly treat yourself with a Hydrafacial, Microneedling +PRP, Chemical peels.
6. What skincare treatments do you regularly have done?
I have tried pretty much everything! IPL, LHR, Infini, Pixel skin resurfacing, Chemical peels etc… I also like to try any treatments offered in clinic so that I may guide my clients in choosing the appropriate treatment for their needs. I regularly get Microneedling + PRP to help with my pores and brighten my skin. I also try to treat myself with a Hydrafacial every 4 weeks or so as I find this treatments really helps to decongest my pores and hydrate my skin at the same time. Every 4 months I get my Botox done to prevent wrinkles!!
7. What lifestyle habits do you have that keep your skin in top shape?
I am consistent with my skin care routine. I have struggled with acne in the past and find that when I am not consistent I start to see my skin breakout and not look it’s best.
I feel it is really important to drink lots of water, exercise regularly, and try to maintain a balanced lifestyle as I really believe these all impact the health of our skin.
8. What’s in your makeup bag?
Truthfully, I own quite a bit of make up that I NEVER wear! I really try to advocate for make up free skin. When I do wear make up it is usually very simple – mascara (They’re Real by Benefit), light pressed powder, blush and lipgloss (GLO minerals).
Thank you, Sarah!
You can find out more about Sarah and her work at The Ottawa Skin Clinic website.