Skincare should be easy.
That’s Dr Nancy Samolitis’ philosophy and her drive behind Facile Skin. Think of it as a cross between a dermatologist office, a spa, and a beauty boutique.
First, you get a consultation to discuss your skin problems and goals. Then, the Facile team puts together a personalised skincare plan and recommends the best treatments for your needs. Plus, they’re working on a skincare range, too. How cool is that?
Today, Facile’s co-founder Nancy Samolitis – a top dermatologist in California who specialises in treatments for aging and sun damaged skin – shares her own skincare routine and top tips for younger-looking skin:
1. When did you become interested in skincare?
I’ve always been a bit of a product junkie since my teen years, but I really began to understand the importance of quality skincare when I began my residency in dermatology and learned the intricacies of skin structure and function.
2. What’s your skincare routine like?
My personal skincare regimen is a bit complicated and changes a little bit from time to time. I am often trying out new products, but I often go back to my old favorites. There are a few things that I NEVER change like washing with a Clarisonic brush and applying prescription tretinoin (Retin-A) every night, even on vacation. Here is my current regimen:
- Cleanse with Sente Exfoliating face wash
- Apply vitamin C, currently using the serum from ISDIN which comes in single ampules to keep the ingredients fresh
- Apply tinted sunscreen from Facile
- Remove makeup with Sunday Riley Blue Moon Tranquility Cleansing Balm followed by Caudalie foaming cleanser on the Clarisonic brush for 1 minute
- Apply Lotion P50 1970 by Biologique Recherche with a cotton pad
- Apply Rx tretinoin 0.025% cream blended with NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Cream and Sente Dermal Contour Pressed Serum
- Apply Versed Emergency Eye Mask to eye area
- Apply Grande Lash MD serum to lashes
3. If you could only use three skincare products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
I have already been using the Rx tretinoin and NIA24 Intensive Recovery Cream for over 15 years, so those are definitely lifers. I’m going to add the Lotion P50 1970 to this list because I love what it has done for my skin over the past 6 months.
4. What are your fave skincare brands and why?
We are currently working on a skincare brand for Facile that will incorporate all of my favorite things in one line. I have a lot of favorite brands, but will list a few here:
- PCA: They have excellent medical grade skincare including peels
- Herbivore: I love that these clean, natural products are actually effective for many skin conditions
- Sente: They are always creating products with unique cutting edge scientific ingredients that are unique to their brand
5. What are your top 3 skincare tips to take care of your skin?
- Always clean your face at night, always!
- Wear sunscreen every day, use a sunblock that contains primarily zinc.
- Visit a board-certified dermatologist if you have a skin condition such as acne, rosacea, eczema, or melasma because you may need medications in addition to skincare.
6. What skincare treatments do you regularly have done?
My favorite procedures to have done regularly are microneedling with PRP (platelet-rich plasma) for collagen stimulation and Clear and Brilliant laser for resurfacing. I usually alternate these and do one of them at least every 3 months.
7. What lifestyle habits do you have that keep your skin in top shape?
Diet is extremely important for maintaining clear, healthy skin. I do my best to buy most of my food from local farmer’s markets and prepare my meals at home. Avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates is the most important rule. I also exercise daily and drink a lot of water.
Also, in addition to daily sunscreen, I do my best to protect my skin with clothing such as long sleeves, scarves, and hats. I see a lot of people going out of their way to protect their face, but they forget that skin cancers are very prevalent in arms, legs, chest, and back.
8. What’s in your makeup bag?
I like to keep my makeup very simple; why have great skin and not let it show! I use a powder sunscreen from Colorescience – it comes with a brush attachment so touch ups are easy. Lip moisturizer is essential and I don’t go anywhere without Malin + Goetz lip treatment.
I love the sheer cheek tints from Glossier as well as their Brow Flick, Boy Brow, and mascara. I also have Caudalie’s Beauty Elixir spray and lots of little samples of prescription steroid creams and acne treatments in case of a dermatology emergency.
Thank you, Nancy!