Is Glyceryl Stearate green?
This is one of those annoying ingredients that pops up in all skincare products, traditional and organic.
Its name doesn’t sound natural, yet it’s on none of the “Avoid-at-all-costs” lists. No one talks about it. Ever.
Time for a change. Here’s everything you need to know about Glyceryl Stearate in skincare:
What Is Glyceryl Stearate?
Glyceryl Stearate (a.k.a. Glyceryl Monostearate) is a white or cream-coloured solid made from glycerin and stearic acid (a fatty acid obtained from animal and vegetable fats and oils).
It can be made in a lab or produced from most vegetable oils through a process similar to soap making. It’s biodegradable, too.
P.S. Glyceryl Stearate naturally occurs in our body, too.
Need help creating the best skincare routine for you dry skin? Sign up to the newsletter below to receive the “Dry Skincare Routine Cheatsheet” (it includes product recommendations, too!).
What Does Glyceryl Stearate Do In Skincare Products?
Glyceryl Stearate is a popular ingredient in skincare products for two reasons: it moisturises skin and improves the texture and feel of formulas. Here’s everything it does:
- Emollient: It acts as a lubricant, making skin softer and smoother.
- Emulsifier: It helps water and oils mix together, preventing them from separating in the formula. The best part? It removes the greasiness from oils, so they’re a pleasure to use.
- Moisturising: It creates a protective barrier on the skin that slows down water loss, keeping skin hydrated and supple for hours.
- Pearlescent: If used together with Glycerin, it pearlises shower gels, shampoos, and hand washes.
What Are The Best Skincare Products With Glyceryl Stearate?
- Bioderma Atoderm Cream ($18.00): Available at Dermstore, Feel Unique, and Revolve
- Eucerin Dry Skin Intensive Hand Cream 5% Urea With Lactate (£9.00): Available at Feel Unique
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask ($24.00): Available at Asos, Dermstore, Feel Unique, Sephora, and Ulta
Does Glyceryl Stearate Has Any Side Effects?
Glyceryl Stearate is as safe as a skincare ingredient can be. I mean, this stuff is already in our bodies and we eat a few mouthfuls every day through our diet.
Sure, high concentrations may irritate sensitive skin, but that’s rare.
The Bottom Line
Glyceryl Stearate is a biodegradable, safe ingredient that makes your skin softer and smoother and improves the feel of your products. No need to fear it.
What are your thoughts on Glyceryl Stearate in skincare products? Let me know in the comments below.