Over the past few months, I’ve interviewed lots of female dermatologists to find out how they keep their skin so youthful and smooth.
But what do male dermatologists use? Do they follow the same routine as women or do they have completely different needs?
This week, I’m asking a man to spill the beans on his skincare routine. Dr Joshua Zeichner is the Director of Cosmetic & Clinical Research in Dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City and his advice often appears in national magazines.
In 2015, he won the Elle Magazine Skin Genius Award for his innovative approaches in treating aging skin. He definitely knows a thing or two about staying young.
Without further ado, here are Dr Zeichner’s skincare routine, top tips for younger-looking skin and more:
1. When did you become interested in skincare?
As a dermatologist, skin care is my business every day. Not only do I write prescription medications to take care of skin diseases, but I also advise patients on optimal skin care routines for their needs
2. What’s your skincare routine like?
My routine is very simple. The morning is about protection of the skin against environmental damage. The evening is about repair. In the morning I typically use a vitamin C serum followed by sunscreen. In the evening, I typically use a moisturizer followed by retinol to help stimulate collagen production.
3. If you could only use three skincare products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- Vitamin C serum in the morning. Adamancy is a potent antioxidant that puts out free radical damage and prevents harm to the skin from UV light exposure. It promotes healthy collagen production and brightens dark spots.
- Retinol is the best ingredient we have over the counter to fight off the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It stimulates collagen production to strengthen the skin’s foundation.
4. What are your fave skincare brands and why?
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get good quality products. I stick to brands like Neutrogena, Aveeno, and Clean and Clear. All of these brands have ingredients based on science and are all clinically tested to show their effectiveness.
5. What are your top 3 skincare tips to take care of your skin?
Make sure to wear sunscreen every day. UV light is the biggest cause of early aging and skin cancer. And ounce of protection is worth a pound of repair.
Be patient. Skin care is a marathon, not a sprint. You do not see improvement overnight and it takes time for active ingredients to take their affect. Usually, it takes several weeks or even months to start to notice benefits to your skin.
6. What skincare treatments do you regularly have done?
I regularly get neurotoxins like Botox or Dysport. I actually give myself a treatment in the mirror. In the past I have had injectable facial fillers. I probably am due for a touchup, but just need to get one of my colleagues to take care of me.
7. What lifestyle habits do you have that keep your skin in top shape?
Don’t smoke and make sure to wash your face every night to remove excess dirt, oil, and pollution that deposits on the skin in the evening. I try to exercise because we know that exercise has been associated with better aging of the skin.
8. What’s in your makeup bag?
No makeup bag for me, but I do have a Gillette razor in the medicine cabinet.
Thank you, Dr Zeichner!