Erborian CC Creme keeps flying off the shelves. No matter how many tubes Sephora stocks, they always sell out in no time – every time.
Must be freaking awesome. I had to get a tube and see for myself what the hype is about (hint: the awesomeness is real):
What’s In Erborian CC Creme?
UV FILTERS TO PROTECT SKIN FROM SUN DAMAGE
First things first: CC Cremes are NOT a substitute for sunscreen. To get the SPF stated on the bottle, you need to apply 1/4 of a teaspoon. Are you doing it?
If you do, kudos to you. You’re more dedicated than me. You CAN use it as sun protection. Everyone else, use it over sunscreen.
So, how good is the protection of Erborian CC Creme – if you use it properly? Here are its UV filters:
- Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate: A.ka.a Octyl Methoxycinnamate. It protects skin from UVB rays and helps other UV filters last longer, too.
- Titanium Dioxide (nano): A mineral filter that protects from all UVB and some UVA rays. It’s in nano size to neutralise its greasy texture and the white cast it leaves behind.
- Ethylhexyl Salicylate: A.k.a Octyl Salicylate, a UVB filter with a slightly oily consistency and a mild floral scent.
- Zinc Oxide (nano): A gentle mineral UV filter that protects from ALL UV rays. It’s in nano size to neutralise its greasy texture and the white cast it leaves behind.
In case you’re wondering, no, nano particles in sunscreens aren’t dangerous. They make the texture more pleasant to use and that’s the whole point. If you don’t like using it, you won’t.
Related: Is Nanotechnology In Sunscreen Dangerous?
SILICONES TO BLUR IMPERFECTIONS
Erborian CC Creme is loaded with silicones – and it’s a good thing:
- Silicones fill in all nooks and crevices: That’s how they blur away large pores, make fine lines and wrinkles look smaller and give skin that airbrushed look.
- Silicones reflect light: They create an even layer on the skin that better reflects light. When it hits your skin, your complexion glows.
- Silicones give slip: Silicones give textures their velvety feel and slip, so they glide on the skin oh-so-smoothly.
So why do silicones get such a bad rep? Two myths:
- Silicones suffocate skin: No, they don’t. They have a particular molecular structure with wide gaps between each molecule, creating a barrier that traps water in but still lets skin perspire.
- Silicones are comedogenic: Silicones themselves aren’t comedogenic. But if you use comedogenic products before slathering on silicones, they may get trapped underneath and give you pimples.
Related: Are Silicones Good Or Bad For Skin?
CENTELLA ASIATICA TO SOOTHE SKIN
Centella Asiatica is super popular in Korean skincare – for a good reason. It’s loaded with soothing substances – like Madecassoside – that calms down redness, irritation and more. Here’s the proof:
- Wound healing: Centella Asiatica speeds up wound healing by boosting collagen and cell production.
- Wrinkle reduction: A small study showed that centella asiatica improved crow’s feet compared to a placebo.
- UV protection: Ok, this study was done in vitro (not on real skin) but it shows that Centella Asiatica can prevent UV-induced hyperpigmentation.
In Erborian CC Creme, Centella Asiatica is used together with honey, another soothing ingredient. Double goodness.
Struggling to put together a skincare routine that minimises wrinkles, prevents premature aging, and gives your complexion a youthful glow? Download your FREE “Best Anti-Aging Skincare Routine” to get started (it features product recommendations + right application order):
Smooth and creamy.
Erborian CC Creme has a light floral scent. I usually don’t like to wear scented products on my face but I have to say, this scent is lovely. And it doesn’t linger around too long.
How To Use It
In the AM, 15 minutes after sunscreen.
Performance & Personal Opinion
The first time I used Erborian CC Creme, I totally freaked out. This stuff is a translucent white with little beige dots in it. I know I’m pale, but this is too Caspar The Ghost even for me. I wasn’t sure this was gonna work…
Erborian claims the colour-matching capabilities of the 2 shades are enough to match most skin tones – and I have no reason to doubt it. But it’s ladies on the far ends of the spectrum like me who are gonna be left out. Shame, cos I love this CC Creme a lot.
The creamy texture glides smoothly on my skin, providing a sheer coverage that’s enough to even out the skin tone, blur away fine lines and large pores and neutralise redness.
And the glow! The CC Creme is loaded with encapsulated pigments that brighten the complexion, giving it a healthy, radiant look that never veers into shiny territory.
Quite the opposite. It kept the shine at bay on my t-zone for the whole morning. The CC Creme herself held up pretty well, too. I applied it in the morning and it was still good at 4pm.
It’s not the most hydrating, but I use it over a moisturising sunscreen, so that’s not a biggie for me. I like it that it has SPF too. It may not be enough on its own but hey, every little bit helps.
Who Is This For?
Anyone can use it, but it’s most suitable for women with good skin that just need a sheer layer of coverage.
Who Is This NOT For?
If you have severe imperfections to hide, this won’t be enough for you.
It comes in a cute and practical grey tube.
Does Erborian CC Creme Live Up To Its Claims?
|This “High Definition” illuminator, with its ultra fine texture, contains pigments to enhance your skin’s appearance, while enriching and improving it’s texture and quality.||The first part is true, but “enriching and improving it’s texture and quality” is so vague, it means everything and nothing.|
|At first glance cream appears white, but upon application, it adapts precisely to match your skin-tone, naturally revealing a more even complexion, leaving skin luminous and soft, while reducing the appearance of blemishes.||True for most people. But if you’re on the opposite ends of the spectrum, it’ll still be too dark/light for you.|
|Soft and radiant, the lightweight finish will leave your skin looking flawless.||True.|
Price & Availability
$44.00/£38.00 at Feel Unique, Sephora, Soko Glam and SpaceNK
Do You Need It?
If you’re looking for a CC Creme, this is an excellent option to consider.
Dupes & Alternatives
I haven’t found any exact dupes for this product.
Aqua, Cyclomethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Titanium Dioxide (nano), Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Methyl Trimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Zinc Oxide (nano), Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Magnesium Sulfate, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsequioxane Crosspolymer, Centella Asiatica Extract, Honey Extract, Talc, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trihydroxystearin, Butylene Glycol, Mica, Aluminum Hydroxyde, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Polyester-1, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Tocopherol, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Citronellol, Geraniol, Eugenol, Limonene, CI 77492/Iron Oxides, CI 77491/Iron Oxides, CI 77499/Iron Oxides