Did you know Dr Debra Jaliman was one of the first physicians to use Botox in her practice?
She has a knack for giving her patients a subtle, natural look that doesn’t betray the work done – you’ve probably seen her work on many models and actresses without realising it. Heck, even fellow physicians flock to her office to learn her injection techniques!
But fillers and botox isn’t all Dr Jaliman is known for. A board certified dermatologist with a practice in New York City, she also specialises in treating skin cancer and rare skin disorders, as well as more common issues like acne and rosacea.
She’s also written a book, “Skin Rules: Trade Secrets From A Top New York Dermaologist”, where she explains how to achieve younger-looking skin and a taut body (FYI, it’s the same advice she gives to her celebrity clients).
But what does she use on her skin? In this interview, Dr Jaliman shares her skincare routine, the healthy lifestyle habits that keep her skin in top shape and what skincare treatments she routinely goes for:
1. When did you become interested in skincare?
I first became interested in skin care when I was young. I had the unfortunate combination of acne-prone and very sensitive skin. Most products made for acne would irritate my skin because I was highly allergic; so I would be covered with hives or have acne. It was just a terrible combination.
2. What’s your skincare routine like?
My skincare routine is actually pretty basic. I spend the day talking about skin care and when I’m home I keep it pretty simple. I use a mild cleanser called Sea Radiance Gentle Cleanser. It’s very gentle and doesn’t strip my skin of its essential oils. I use micellar water after cleansing my face. Micellar water removes any trace of makeup or sunscreen that washing my face may have left behind. Before sunscreen, I use my Smoothing Serum, which quenches my dehydrated skin. At night I use the same mild cleanser, micellar water and Azaclear. Azaclear is very safe and effective. It’s a nice lotion also made with glycerin so it’s not drying.
3. If you could only use three skincare products for the rest of your life, what would they be?
1) Mild cleanser- Sea Radiance Gentle Cleanser..which I developed and sell online. It doesn’t strip the skin and its super hydrating. It’s also anti-inflammatory because it contains arnica.
2) Eye Cream. Sea Radiance Rapid Eye Lift….which I developed and sell online. The skin around the eyes is the most delicate with very few oil glands. We blink almost 30,000 times a day and this puts a lot of stress on the skin around the eyes. It’s very important to use an antiaging cream in this area. It’s filled with peptides and antioxidants so it’s very effective.
3) Sunscreen. Elta UV Elements. It contains hyaluronic acid which is super hydrating and it’s tinted. It has a high concentration of zinc oxide 10%.
4. What are your fave skincare brands and why?
Lierac. They have products such as the Lierac Micellar water. It is a French brand and based on medical trials. Best known for its anti-aging skin care products.
Elta Sunscreens. One of my favorite sunscreen brands because they have a lot of physical sunscreens with a high concentration of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide which I’m a big fan of.
Eos. They make great lip balms and use very good ingredients. Instead of using petrolatum or parabens, they use ingredients such as jojoba oil, coconut, cocoa butter, shea butter, and vitamin E to soothe the skin.
5. What are your top 3 skincare tips to take care of your skin?
- Always wash your face before going to bed so that you don’t end up with bumps from your sunscreen or makeup.
- Make sure to exfoliate once a week in the winter and increase it to twice a week in the summer. Even the best skin in the world will look dull if it is not well exfoliated.
- Switch up your products as the seasons change. Different seasons require different skin care products. The products you apply in the winter may be too heavy for the spring and summer weather. Products you use in the summer might not be hydrating enough for the cold winter weather.
6. What skincare treatments (dermabrasion, lasers etc) do you regularly have done?
Laser Genesis. This laser stimulates collagen superficially in the upper layers of the skin, helps skin glow as well.
Exilis Ultra. It combines radio frequency with ultrasound for skin tightening. It softens lines and improves the appearance of the skin making it look younger by stimulating collagen production.
Botox. It relaxes the muscles in the forehead and frown to smooth the overlying skin.
PRP. This treatment regenerates tissue and promotes your own collagen production. Your own plasma is injected back into your skin.
7. What lifestyle habits do you have that keep your skin in top shape?
Eating a well-balanced diet. Try to eat organic when you can. Get in those antioxidants by choosing a multi-colored diet including fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed foods. I walk 3 miles per day with my dog Truffles.
8. What’s in your makeup bag?
- Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer…best concealer I’ve ever found for covering dark circles
- Dior Blush
- Tom Ford blush brush
- Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid eyeliner pen – it’s so easy to use
- Nars Velvet Shadow stick color Siros
- Chanel Lip gloss in Rouge Coco 106
Thank you, Debra!