Who Owns What In The Beauty Industry?

by beautifulwithbrains
who owns your fave skincare brands

Do you know who owns your fave skincare and makeup brands?

You may think L’Oreal is its own brand. Wrong. It’s a beauty giant that owns Lancome, Shu Uemura and the Body Shop. Like Estee Lauder, the proud owner of 29 skincare and makeup brands, including MAC and Clinique.

In our fast-paced world, beauty brands change ownership fast, and they mostly end up in the hands of a few large corporations. *sighs*

Why is it important to know this?

Why You Need To Know Who Owns Your Face Skincare & Makeup Brands

Two reasons:

1. Easier-To-Find Dupes

Here’s a secret beauty brands don’t want you to know.

Large corporations love to save money. To cut down on production costs, they use the same active ingredients in both their high-end and low-end products. Then, they add different scents and texture to differentiate them.

That’s why Lancome Eau Micellaire Douceur and L’Oréal Paris Skin Perfection 3in1 Purifying Micellar Solution are almost exact dupes. Same owner, same active ingredients, different details to differentiate the brands in the eyes of the customers.

True, sometimes high-end products use more expensive ingredients and innovative technologies. But eventually, these technologies do trickle down into drugstore products, too.

You just need to wait a few months for the novelty to be over and you’ll hear L’Oreal come up with the same rare extract in Lancome…

Lesson learned: before you spend lots of money on luxury product, compare its ingredients to those of their less expensive sister brands.

Want more dupes? Click on the image below to subscribe to the newsletter and receive the “Skincare Dupes” cheatsheet with all my fave dupes:

2. More Conscious Choices

Knowing what beauty giant owns your fave skincare and makeup brands also helps you make conscious spending choices.

Let’s say you love an indie brand because they don’t test on animals. If tomorrow L’Oreal buys it, chances are you won’t want to support it anymore.

Or maybe you don’t like to give your money to corporations that engage in shady practices. I’ve heard several reports of small indie beauty brands that spilled all their manufacturing secrets to L’Oreal as part of the acquisition process, only for the giant to break the deal, dupe their products and put the small competitor out of business.

Disgusting.

P.S. Wondering why I still promote L’Oreal owned brands on this website? My job is to give you all the information you need to make the right skincare choices, not to make these choices for you. Some people just like the products and don’t care who’s behind them. Don’t judge them badly because they don’t conform to your standards.

Here’s a list of who owns what in the beauty industry:

P.S. The list isn’t comprehensive. If you know who owns a skincare or makeup brand not mentioned here, let me know in the comments and I’ll add it right away:

liz earle cleanse and polish hot cloth cleanser lavender and vetiver 01

Which Beauty Brands Does Walgreens Boots Alliance Own?

• Boots
  • Botanics
  • Liz Earle
  • Soap & Glory
  • Solution

Which Beauty Brands Does Avon Own?

• Avon Color
  • Anew And Solutions
  • Mark
eucerin dermopurifer oil control range

Which Beauty Brands Does Beiersdorf Own?

• Eucerin
  • La Prairie
  • Nivea

Which Beauty Brands Does Coty Own?

• Calvin Klein
  • Davidoff
  • Jill Sander
  • Lancaster
  • Opi
  • Philosophy
  • Rimmel London
  • Sally Hansen
  • Younique Cosmetics
  • Wella
  • Also owns lots of brands of perfume including Sarah Jessica Parker, Jennifer Lopez, Kylie Minogue, David and Victoria Beckham, Marc Jacobs and Chloe
clinique fresh pressed renewing powder cleanser

Which Beauty Brands Does Estee Lauder Own?

• Aerin
  • Smashbox Cosmetics
  • Tom Ford Beauty
  • Tommy Hilfiger
  • Too Faced
  • Tory Burch
neutrogena-hydro-boost-water-gel

Which Beauty Brands Does Johnson & Johnson Own?

• Ambi skincare
  • Aveeno
  • Clean and Clear
  • Johnsons
  • Lubriderm
  • Neutrogena
  • Purpose
  • Piz Buin
  • RoC
  • Rogaine
  • Shower to shower
  • Vendome

Which Beauty Brands Does Kao Own?

• Ban
  • Bioré
  • Curél
  • Guhl
  • Jergens
  • John Frieda
  • Kanebo
  • Molton Brown
vichy mineral 89 daily booster

Which Beauty Brands Does L’Oreal Own?

• Biotherm
  • SkinCeuticals
  • Urban Decay
  • Vichy Laboratoires
  • Victor & Rolf
  • Yves Saint Laurent Beaute
dior diorshow iconic mascara 02

Which Beauty Brands Does LVMH Own?

• Acqua di Parma
  • La Brosse et Dupont
  • Make up for ever
  • Nude
  • Ole Henriksen
  • Perfumes Loewe
  • Sephora

Which Beauty Brands Does Manzanita Partners Own?

• Byredo
  • Diptyque
  • Eve Lom
  • Kevyn Aucoin
  • Lipstick Queen
  • Malin and Goetz
  • SpaceNK

Which Beauty Brands Does Procter & Gamble Own?

• Aussie
  • Olay
  • Pantene
  • Perfect 10
  • SK-II
  • Venus
  • Also owns lots of fragrances including Boss, Hugo and Valentino

Which Beauty Brands Does Revlon Own?

• Almay
  • CND
  • Elizabeth Arden
  • Revlon
  • Sinful Colors
  • Ultima 2

Which Beauty Brands Does Shiseido Own?

• Bare Minerals
  • Clé De Peau
  • Dolce & Gabbana
  • Elie Saab
  • Issey Miyake
  • JPG
  • Laura Mercier
  • Majolica Majorca
  • Narciso Rodriguez
  • Nars
  • ReVive
  • Serge Lutens
  • Shiseido

Which Beauty Brands Does Unilever Own?

• Axe
  • Rexona
  • St Ives
  • Sunsilk
  • Tony & Guy
  • TRESemmé
  • Vaseline

Can you think of any other brand not mentioned here? Let me know in the comments below.

Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping

Screenshot from 2017 04 30 11 51 35

Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.

Powered by ConvertKit

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

213 comments

sab September 2, 2008 - 1:56 pm

wow! i didn;t know this!

most of my faves are under l’oreal! 🙂

Chana June 2, 2015 - 6:50 am

L’Oreal owns Urban Decay also. There is a Wikipedia article about it WITH references.

Gio June 2, 2015 - 8:06 pm

Chana, thanks for letting us know!

Chana June 4, 2015 - 12:21 am

My pleasure!

Jo April 21, 2016 - 7:08 am

L’oreai also own Decleor now

Gio April 25, 2016 - 10:35 pm

Jo, thanks for sharing. I’ll edit the list now.

Nikki September 2, 2008 - 2:12 pm

I’m glad you did this! I worked in an Executive Search firm and I learned all those as well. It was funny because I was headhunting people from Maybelline to work for L’oreal before..can you imagine how stupid i look? lol 🙂

fabulessbeauty September 2, 2008 - 3:39 pm

Thanks for this. I had no idea that Garnier was owned by L’Oreal.

Anastasia September 2, 2008 - 4:10 pm

That’s really interesting. I learned a couple of these because I have a friend who works for Estée Lauder but gets MAC discounts and a ton of others (obviously!).

It’s interesting to see who Sephora is owned by, considering they push a lot of Benefit products on their website, and it’s the only place to buy Make-Up Forever online (that I can find).

I really hate Clairol’s new advertising campaign for Nice ‘n’ Easy, so I’m tempted to boycott their other sister-brands now! (I’ve always hated Herbal Essence’s advertising, so I’ve never bought them, either)

Mind if I link to this post on my blog?

Thanks for your comment about the EOTD, too =] I spent hours doing it, and now I’m really annoyed because I woke up this morning and had a sty on my eyelid, eww! It hurts, too =[ No more EOTDs for a while. ;_;

Alyssa September 2, 2008 - 4:30 pm

I knew L’oreal owned Lancome, but not all that stores… woo~

Lydia September 2, 2008 - 10:36 pm

Wow. This is some interseting info.

beautifulwithbrains September 3, 2008 - 1:29 pm

Sab: I knew some of them, but I didn’t realese how many brands Estee Laudr owned until I started researching for the article. What are your fav brands?

Nikki: lol. That’s funny. 🙂 I’m glad you like the post.

fabulessbeauty: you’re welcome 🙂

Anastasia: Of course you can link to the post. 🙂 Your friend is lucky, I wanna work for them too now lol. I don’t like Clairol new ad campaign either, but I don’t really like any ads at all. I only Collistar ads in magazines. They have a picture of the model, one of the product with its description and price. Works much better than just a picture and a slogan in my opinion. At least you know what you’re getting and if you can afford it.
I’m sorry you have a sty, that’s nasty. Hope it goes away soon!

Alyssa: yeah, L’Oreal owns way too many lol

Lydia: I’m glad you enjoyd the post 🙂

Cinthia September 3, 2008 - 6:55 pm

WOW!! good info. I’ve heard estee lauder owns other high end names but didn’t know they own these much!!! I’m gonna bookmark this page for future reference. Thanks

Connie September 4, 2008 - 6:08 am

Great info! I work part time in the beauty industry so I have been under some of the brands. But over here the brands are all under local companies so even though internationally some of the brands are under a big company but they are separately owned by companies here. Eg. Benefit in Malaysia is owned by Starlight Cosmetics where the owner used to be in LVMH and LVMH in Malaysia now no longer carries Guerlain and MUFE. *shrugs* Stila used to be under Estee but now no longer and in Malaysia, Stila’s under Luxasia alongside La Prairie, NV Perricone, YSL, RMK and I can’t remember the rest.

beautifulwithbrains September 4, 2008 - 1:00 pm

Cinthia: you’re welcome. I was suprised by how many brands ste lauder owns, too!

Connie: I didn’t know that. That is some interesting info! Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay May 7, 2009 - 7:14 pm

I think it s shame that the big companies take over all the brands that are very good, for instance sebastian products were brilliant particularly potion 9. Wella took them over and now they are just good. The content seems to change in products when companies are taken over by the big boys. I do not know whether theusual decline is purely to save on costs or to also to maximise profit, giving us products that do not work; if they can make the product so that it really does not work then people will buy more different products to find one that does – given thiese lists of ownership it would more than likely be a round trip around all the lines they own without the customer even knowing it. As for all these beauty products for eyes nothing works better than plain old touch of vaseline- lets see them change that !!!

beautifulwithbrains May 8, 2009 - 7:19 pm

Hi Lindsay, it’s really sad when that happens. I really like MAC, but since Estee Lauder bought it the prices have been increasing, the sizes of products are getting smaller and the quality isn’t as good as it used to be. I guess they do it to make the highest profit with the smaller cost on their party, but it’s a shame to see great brands go downhill. Companies would make lots more money by releasing great products in the first place.

anana January 7, 2010 - 10:39 pm

man, that’s stressful. I only just started thinking recently about animal testing, and knowing that loreal owns body shop? that stresses me out. Why can’t all of Loreal’s businesses have ethical treatment of people, the environment, and animals?!!!
Now I have a huge list of places I can’t buy makeup from because they all test on animals etc 🙁

Petra April 23, 2016 - 8:30 pm

Mary Kay does not test on animals, nor does Arbonne. I adore Arbonne…their products have tons of herbal extracts in them…even their eye shadows have cucumber in them.
Who owns CHI? They have this amazing hair care product called Biosilk…they’ve recently changed it…and it sucks. The fragrance and quality of the product used to be OUTSTANDING. Now, it’s colorless and the fragrance quality is horrid. I am so disappointed.
Has Jane cosmetics dissappeared?
NYX…love some of their stuff…who owns them?
Max Factor reinvented itself as Smashbox…but I can’t find max factor in stores anymore. 🙁

Gio April 25, 2016 - 10:27 pm

Petra, oh no! I hate when that happens. Good products should be left alone.

I’m not sure about Chi, but I think Nyx was bought by L’Oreal a few years ago. As for Max Factor, it pulled out of the US, but it is still available in Europe.

beautifulwithbrains January 8, 2010 - 7:32 pm

Anana, that of animal testing is a delicate subject. I don’t like animal testing at all, that’s just cruel but I understand why some companies do it. If you include a new ingredient in a product without any or very few testing someone could have a serious or even deadly reaction to it. On the other hand, testing the same ingredients lots of times during the years is not only cruel, but useless as you already know what the results are going to be.

But unfortunately, trying to avoid products tested on animals is not so easy. That’s because even if a company doesn’t test the finished products on animals or does no tests on animal at all, each ingredient the company uses has been tested at some point by someone else.

But the good news is, scientists are developing new ways of testing ingredients and products that in the (hopefully very near) future will replace animal testing once and for all.

Holly February 21, 2016 - 11:44 pm

China is the only country that requires animal testing, there is no good reason for it other than they will not change. If a company places profit over cruelty free for one country alone I and many others will boycott. It is pure greed to sell and test for one country.

Gio February 22, 2016 - 3:39 pm

Holly, it’s a shame indeed that China will not change its policy. The decision may be based on greed, but by selling in those markets, these brands also give jobs to many people. It may also be a way to start change from within. My point is that there are always two sides to every coin, and things are always more complicated than it seems. Having said that, I hope China will change its rules soon.

Antonia November 17, 2010 - 4:35 am

Anana, it IS stressful and disconcerting. You are right to feel that way. The real good news is that there are plenty of amazing beauty products that are made by companies that do not rely on animal exploitation as a way to cut corners and get away with putting cheap caustic chemicals into our cosmetics. Try Urban Decay, Kiss My Face even Revlon just for starters. Their products are great! It’s easy to find cruelty free products, in fact it is your moral obligation to do so and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise:)

Joel February 23, 2011 - 9:53 pm

You can add Pureology to the L’Oreal list. I work for them as a video production contractor and they are a sister brand of Redken 5th Ave. Thus indirectly a L’Oreal company.

Best,
Joel

beautifulwithbrains February 24, 2011 - 1:18 pm

Joel, thanks for sharing. I’ll add it now. 🙂

Sandra May 4, 2012 - 5:52 am

Does anyone know who owns Sally Hansen and physicians formula?

beautifulwithbrains May 4, 2012 - 8:07 pm

Sandra, Sally Hansen is owned by Coty, while Physicians Formula is owned by Physician Formula INC.

Heather July 20, 2013 - 5:49 am

Thank you, it was interesting to learn more about this subject. As a drugstore employee, I knew quite a few (I also live near the L’Oreal manufacturing plant here in Kentucky, which also has advertisements for their other brands). Being a makeup enthusiast, I wanted to look into what other brands are owned under same big brand.

beautifulwithbrains July 25, 2013 - 6:01 am

Heather, you’re welcome. I’m glad you’ve found the post interesting.

sam September 15, 2013 - 4:10 am

Who owns e.l.f. or distributes their cosmetics?

beautifulwithbrains September 15, 2013 - 5:50 am

Sam, elf is owned by Ja Cosmetics Corp.

terry givens October 1, 2013 - 3:00 pm

Estee Lauder also owns Smashbox Cosmetics. Just wanted to add that one. I had no idea that Estee Lauder owned so many of the cosmetic lines really makes you rethink the cosmetic line that you are buying. thanks.

beautifulwithbrains October 11, 2013 - 9:41 pm

Terry, thanks for sharing. I’ll add it to the list.

It’s an eye opener, isn’t it?

Danielle November 11, 2013 - 5:10 pm

Don’t forget Oribe and wella owned by P&G. They’re all selling out. So sad.

beautifulwithbrains November 11, 2013 - 8:22 pm

Danielle, I will add them to the list, thanks. And that’s very sad indeed.

Maya Matthews February 2, 2014 - 9:40 pm

really interesting!
however, is it true that bourjois owns chanel (or vice versa)? it would be awesome if they did!

Gio February 2, 2014 - 10:21 pm

Maya, yes, that’s true. Bourjois does own Chanel. 🙂

Dianna Gattone May 27, 2014 - 6:47 pm

I just found out that I’m allergic to all I gradients in all shampoos , conditioners and make ups ! The big ingredient is Balsam of Peru, never listed in any ingredients ! Love to find a site I can discover more ingredients in such! Help

Gio May 28, 2014 - 8:28 pm

Dianna, I’m sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, that’s a nasty allergy that prevents you from using so many ingredients. How can I help?

Bedhead November 18, 2014 - 8:29 pm

Thanks so much for posting this! I was so distressed by Estee Lauder’s choice of Kendall Jenner as their new model that I’m changing brands — your blog helped me to avoid selecting another of EL’s brands that would just continue to support their bad choices! Found a super-great replacement on leapingbunny.org — a great site for your readers with allergies, sensitive skin, and ethical issues with the cosmetic industry!

Gio November 18, 2014 - 9:40 pm

Bedhead, you’re welcome. I’m glad it helped. I though Kendall Jenner was a very weird choice for Estee Lauder. It must upset a lot of its fans.

Emma December 1, 2014 - 6:27 am

Clarins and Chanel are independent

Gio December 3, 2014 - 9:39 pm

Emma, thank you sharing. 🙂

Kat January 4, 2015 - 4:41 pm

CND (first creators of soak off gel polish aka Shellac) is owned by Revlon. I am a cosmetologist and this revelation blew me back considering CND is a “professional” line only, meaning they DO NOT sell to the general public. Revlon also owns many companies like the Sinful polish line and Almay.

Gio January 5, 2015 - 8:12 pm

Kat, thanks for sharing. I would have never guess CND was owned by Revlon for the same reason as you. Very interesting.I will add them to the list.

Judith Goodier March 13, 2015 - 6:28 pm

Liz Earle owned by Avon
Decleor owmed by L’Oreal

Gutted at both!!!

Gio March 15, 2015 - 4:38 pm

Judith, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, more and more small brands are getting bought by the big giants.

MIMI April 12, 2015 - 2:57 am

Bedhead – why does it upset you that Kendall Jenner was selected for Estee Lauder? Lauder seems like a brand for older folks so maybe they’re targeting the younger people. I like her so I will buy the products, especially since they are so generous with their promotions.

Alicia thomas April 28, 2015 - 7:17 pm

Essie is also owned by loreal

Gio April 28, 2015 - 7:42 pm

Alicia, thanks. I’ll add it now!

Kathryn May 30, 2015 - 10:54 am

I’m sorry. I may have missed it, but who owns Avon?

Gio May 30, 2015 - 1:29 pm

Kathryn, Avon owns itself. 🙂

rachelle greene June 2, 2015 - 8:50 am

you are behind on your information. Unilever bought Cosmair which used to own Lancôme and L’Oreal. they also now own Clarisonic. Unilever owns a frightening amount of the market now. much of what you have here is out of date.

Gio June 2, 2015 - 8:09 pm

Rachelle, thank you for your comment. I’m sorry some of the information is out of date. Beauty brands change hands so quickly these days and it is hard to keep up with all that stuff when you already juggle blogging with real life. But I’ll try to update this post more quickly in the future.

rachelle greene June 2, 2015 - 8:56 am

…also, i do not think you dig deeply enough, because MacAndrews and Forbes (yes, the FINANCIAL INSTITUTION) OWNS REVLON. this information was found in ONE Google search. i put in the terms “who owns revlon?” and the first thing in the list is MacAndrews and Forbes.

really…you guys are using very old information, and it is not as useful as one might imagine–but i do appreciate your letting me know that Estée Lauder owns a couple of brands i was unaware of; i am on a lifetime boycott of that company–harder and harder as the anti-trust laws in this bassackwards nation mean nothing any more. Smash box, MAC and Bumble and Bumble are sadly out of my life forever.

Gio June 2, 2015 - 8:14 pm

Rachelle, I’ve updated the post now and will dig deeper as soon as I have some more time. I’m sorry you have to boycott those brands now. 🙁

Cynthia June 19, 2015 - 3:53 pm

I think Philosophy is owned by COTY but used to be owned by Carlyle Group after Christina Carlino sold it.

Gio June 20, 2015 - 10:29 am

Cynthia, thank you for letting me know. I’ll add it to the list.

Paulette July 7, 2015 - 3:28 am

Where does Sallys Beauty supply stores fit in the mix?

Gio July 7, 2015 - 10:13 am

Paulette, I think it owns itself.

Nicole July 14, 2015 - 10:13 pm

Does anyone know who owns topshop or Burberry makeup?
X

Gio July 15, 2015 - 7:50 am

Nicole, I believe Topshop belongs to the Arcadia group and Burberry to L’Oreal, but I’ll double check, just to be sure.

charlie October 8, 2015 - 3:32 am

who owns R&CO and Living Proof? thanks!

Gio October 8, 2015 - 7:44 pm

Charlie, I believe they own themselves, so to speak.

Denise Schwanz October 20, 2015 - 3:38 pm

Who owns Tarte and Becca? Thanks.

Gio October 20, 2015 - 10:12 pm

Denise, Tarte is owned by Kose and Becca’s parent company is Cosmetic Developments Limited.

Nini November 4, 2015 - 5:15 pm

My favorites are under LVMH so it’s not too bad. How about Stila, Two Faced, Mally or L’occitane? I heard Tarte is also aquired.
Disappointed to see Vichy and Laroche Possay under L’Oreal….

Gio November 14, 2015 - 7:39 pm

Nini, yeah, Tarte is owned by Kose. L’Occitane belongs to the L’Occitane Group, Too Faced by Western Presidio, and the other two should be privately owned.

Daisy November 14, 2015 - 6:30 pm

Who owns Too Faced cosmetics

Gio November 14, 2015 - 7:13 pm

Daisy, Too Faced is owned by private equity firm Western Presidio.

Gerard December 6, 2015 - 11:14 am

Frédéric Malle, Le Labo and Glamglow also are taken over by Estee Lauder

Gio December 6, 2015 - 12:06 pm

Gerard, thank you for sharing. I’ll add them to the list now.

joe December 19, 2015 - 4:35 am

What about Clarins products? I didn’t see it in the above list. Thank you.

Gio December 23, 2015 - 6:16 pm

Joe, I believe the Clarins family still owns it.

E January 5, 2016 - 10:42 am

One of the biggest problems with all of this is that L’Oreal and Estee Lauder have changed their policies on animal testing. They want the Chinese market, which means they have to allow animal testing on anything that is sold there.

Now, companies that are listed as “cruelty-free” are not, entirely, because their parent companies are not.

Gio January 9, 2016 - 2:56 pm

E, I see your point. This is a very complicated and painful issue indeed.

To be fair though, even companies that have never tested on animals use ingredients that have been tested on animals by others. It’s impossible not to. Everything at some point has been tested on a rabbit or mouse. So, where do you draw the line?

Elizabeth Jote January 12, 2016 - 8:41 pm

Estee Lauder owns Sunday Riley as well.

Gio January 13, 2016 - 7:58 pm

Elizabeth, thank you for letting us know. Just added it to the list.

Loz January 18, 2016 - 2:35 pm

Hi Gio!

I’ve been looking through this list and comments and I have a few questions and disputes, as it were. You’ve listed Sunday Riley as owned by Estee Lauder, but I can’t find reference to this anywhere else, nor are they listed by Estee Lauder as their brand on their company website (http://www.elcompanies.com/Pages/Homepage.aspx). I’m not sure if they were previously owned by Estee Lauder, though I don’t know how they would then come to be independent afterwards or if they simply aren’t listed, but could you let me know where you found your information so I can read up on it?
Similarly, Oribe is listed as owned by P&G, however Oribe is not listed on P&G’s website (http://www.pg.com/en_UK/brands/all-brands.shtml) and is not mentioned in any other place I can find. Could you refer me to your source for this as well?
Liz Earle was acquired by Walgreens Boots alliance in mid 2015 (or at least purchased, if it has not been finalised) (http://www.nottinghampost.com/8203-Boots-parent-company-acquires-Liz-Earle/story-26871957-detail/story.html) which can be updated as well. I normally wouldn’t ‘correct’ someone or tell them to update something but it seems from the comments you are keeping up with this list and updating based on people’s comments so I apologise if this seems rude; I’m not intending to step on your toes! I am very interested in avoiding certain brands so I often reference these types of lists so thanks for creating it!

Gio January 18, 2016 - 6:53 pm

Hi Loz, thank you so much for your comment. It’s people like you who help me keep this list up to date, and I really appreciate that.

Usually, I take my information from websites like Cosmetics Design (http://www.cosmeticsdesign.com/), who are always up to date with all industry news. I don’t remember where I got the Oribe info, but Sunday Riley was from a reader. After reading your comment, though, I did some more research and this information doesn’t seem to be correct anymore, so I removed it. I also added a few more brands, and will further check the list this weekend. 😉

charlie February 20, 2016 - 5:04 am

can you confirm that Oribe is owned by P&G? I can’t seem to find the info on it

charlie February 20, 2016 - 5:05 am

sorry, just read the above comments. ive had oribe reps tell me they weren’t owned by any of these

Gio February 21, 2016 - 8:47 am

Charlie, thanks for double checking. I’ll update the post now.

Rose June 17, 2016 - 12:56 pm

Hi. Did I miss who makes Revlon??

Gio June 25, 2016 - 3:50 pm

Rose, Revlon makes Revlon.

Michelle March 17, 2016 - 8:49 am

Does anyone know who owns some of the super low end brands like LA Girl, Ruby Kiss, NickaK, …?

Gio March 18, 2016 - 9:57 pm

Michelle, Ruby Kiss is owned by Ivy Enterprises, but I don’t know about the other two, sorry. They may be privately owned.

Lisa Thomas April 8, 2016 - 4:17 pm

Well there is one that is family owned entirely. Also is a debt free company, 4 billion in sales last year, does NOT test on animals and is growing consistently.
Mary Kay
Love the products, love the company.

Gio April 12, 2016 - 1:36 pm

Lisa, thanks for your comment. Mary Kay is a wonderful company indeed, and it makes some great products, too.

Brandy April 26, 2016 - 1:51 am

I would like to know who manufactured my favorite cosmetics for Victoria’s Secret when they had a full line, especially their mascara and Liquid Lingerie. Do you have access to this info? Or which products may come close to the quality of those products?

Gio April 27, 2016 - 9:20 pm

Brandy, I’m afraid I don’t know who made them, sorry. But, maybe, one of my readers will be able to help?

Carolyn June 7, 2016 - 4:38 pm

Thank you for this list. I will no longer purchase anything owned by Estee Lauder or Lancome (L’oreal) because of their “poor” selection of models (Kardashian/Jenner). I’ve switched entirely to Christian Dior. I’m extremely happy that I did because, in my opinion, the Christian Dior line is superior in every aspect. L’oreal Preference – I’ve switched to Revlon ColorSilk and am super happy with the switch. I’ve made a lot of changes and I’m very happy with these changes. America is in dire need of positive role models. The media is promoting the “worst” and to make matters worse, companies like Estee Lauder, L’oreal, Calvin Klein award these “appalling” individuals with modeling contracts. (I won’t purchase anything from Nike for the same reason – bad role model, Michael Vick.)

Gio June 10, 2016 - 12:25 pm

Carolyn, unfortunately most brands are only interested in those who can attract the most customers… But, I’m glad you’ve found good substitutes for the brands you can no longer use. Sometimes, we have to get rid of the old to find something better.

Amy Enman June 17, 2016 - 9:04 pm

Physicians formula is now owned by Markwins Beauty brands. so is Bonne bel

Gio June 25, 2016 - 3:52 pm

Amy, thanks for the info. But, can I ask who your source is? I’m asking because I couldn’t find Physician’s Formula on their website.

1 2