time for some more random ramblings. Enjoy!
Italian Business Etiquette Tips
Curious to know how business is done in Italy? Read on:
1. Shake hands in greeting both when you are introduced to someone and when the meeting is over and you’re ready to leave. In some parts of South Italy, where etiquette is a lot more relaxed, if you already know someone well, a kiss on each cheek is sometimes preferred to a handshake. But this is usually done only between a man and a woman.
2. Titles here are important. Anyone with an university degree, in any subject, is referred to as Doctor + their surname. The same word also indicates someone who exercises the medical profession, which can be very confusing for foreigners. So, don’t assume that just because someone uses the title of doctor, they are qualified to treat sick people. If you’re in doubt, or don’t know if someone has an university degree, just stick to Signore (Mr), or Signora (Mrs), or even Signorina (Miss) + their surname.
3. Look people in the eyes when you are talking to them. It’s rude not to.
4. Be punctual, but don’t expect other people to be too. It’s common for meetings to start a few minutes late, especially in big cities like Milan and Rome, where it is easy to get stuck in traffic and hard to find a place to park your car. Italians rarely take public transportation. It is just not reliable.
5. Business meetings usually start with small talk. You may even be offered coffee or something (it’s polite to accept even if you don’t feel like drinking anything).
6. Meetings can be pretty long and loud. Italians love to talk, to discuss every point in detail, and even talk at the same time as, or even over, someone else. And nope, it is not considered rude.
7. Few Italians are fluent in English. Some can speak it but not read it or vice versa. Always enquire about the level of English the person you are meeting with is at. If they aren’t fluent in English, hire a translator and make two copies of every document, one in English and the other one in Italian. Also, try to speak a few words of Italian. The effort is always appreciated.
8. Be patient and don’t expect decisions to be taken during a meeting. Italians value trust and familiarity more than efficiency. They like to get to know someone well before doing business with them. Also, hierarchies are pretty rigid here. Usually it is only the top boss who can make a final decision, and if he’s not holding the meeting, it can take a while for him to get the details of what was discussed and figure out what to do.
9. Gift giving is not common. But, if you are invited to someone’s house, it is common courtesy to bring a bottle of wine and some flowers for the Signora.
How is business done in your country?
Beauty Wishlist, Vol.09
TOM FORD SOLEIL EYE & CHEEK COMPACT PALETTE ($95.00)
Pink Glow is an exotic palette of summer shades (rose, gold, and plum) inspired by soft, naked glamour and burnished, sun-touched skin. The ivory- and gold-coloured case has a retro vibe that’s very chic. Available at Bloomingdale’s and House Of Fraser.
TOM FORD CREAM & POWDER EYE COLOR ($60.00)
This two-tiered eye colour pairs two formulas: an ultra-pigmented, metallic cream shadow with a rich, molten glow and a sparkling celestial powder. It’s available in four shades – Black Oyster, Golden Peach, Midnight Sea, and Naked Bronze – at Bloomingdale’s and House Of Fraser.
GUERLAIN ROUGE AUTOMATIQUE HYDRATING LASTING LIP COLOR ($37.00)
Guerlain delivers a mega pop of colour with two new incredibly stunning and unanticipated shades of lipstick. Fluo Stiletto is a captivating neon pink shade that is sure to awaken even the most vibrant smile. Yellow it-stick is a beautiful golden tone perfect for wearing solo or layering. Once applied, lips transform and reveal an iridescent, sheer finish with that beautiful barely there look. Available at Sephora.
GUERLAIN METEORITES RAINBOW PEARLS
During summertime, the Météorites reinvent and adorn themselves with delicate and pastel colours that envelop the skin in a pure radiant halo of light. It hits counters this month.
STILA AQUA GLOW WATERCOLOR BLUSH ($26.00)
A lightweight water blush that provides a sheer, playful splash of colour on cheeks with a cooling sensation! There are five shades to choose from: Rosewater (pale pink), Shimmering Lotus (golden pink), Water Poppy (red), Water Blossom (pink violet), and Water Lily (rose pink). They are available at Stila’s website.
STILA AQUA GLOW PERFECTING PRIMER ($28.00)
This cooling primer promises to smooth skin, reduce redness, prolong the wear of makeup, and decrease the appearance of eye puffiness while giving your entire complexion a smooth, flawless finish! It’s available at Stila’s website too.
What I’m Reading Now
The Mindful Diet: How to Transform Your Relationship with Food for Lasting Weight Loss and Vibrant Health by Beth Reardon, Tania Hannan, Ruth Wolever
We eat too much. Too quickly. What’s more convenient (usually junk food and unhealthy snacks). For comfort. These habits are so ingrained they thwart not just our attempts to lose weight, but also to improve our health. The solution? The mindful diet.
The mindful diet is not about depriving yourself of certain foods. It doesn’t make you feel guilty when you fall off the wagon. In fact, the authors make it clear there is no wagon to fall off. The mindful diet is all about paying attention to what we eat and why. Combining health psychology and nutrition research, the authors have created a step-by-step program that gives you the tools to substitute the old bad habits with new, better, healthy ones. After explaining how the different foods we eat affect us on a biochemical level, the authors help us identify the signals our bodies are sending us. Our bodies tell us when we are really hungry, when we’ve had enough, what foods and in what quantities they want to eat, and more. But often they are so subtle we don’t even notice them. The mindful diet also helps us get to the root of our emotional eating and provides us with better coping mechanisms for the struggles we are facing and that are causing us to overeat or just eat unhealthily. Two ways to do that is to cultivate compassion and kindness, rather than judgement and self-criticism.
If you need to lose weight or improve your relationship with food for longlasting, vibrant health, I highly recommend you check it out. Available at Amazon UK and Amazon US.
There’s No Such Thing As a Post-Baby Body – Bitch Media
9 Things You Never Knew About Eczema – Future Derm
5 Japanese Brands You Should Try – Makeup And Beauty Blog
What’s the right order to apply a BHA serum? – The Beauty Brains
Post-workout hair (wet styling) – The Beauty Department
Disclosure: I received the book from Netgalley. In addition, the post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my disclaimer.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.