The day I discovered Urban Decay Primer Potion my life changed. No more creasing and fading. For the first time, my eyeshadows lasted all day. Since then, I started to experiment with face primers too. But what are primers, and how do they work?
What are primers?
Primers prepare the skin for makeup. They are available in different forms and types: liquid, creamy, solid, gel, oil-free, tinted, fragrance-free and with SPF.
The benefits of primers
– Create a protective base to make you makeup last longer
– Even out the skintone
– Pamper and moisturize the skin, keeping it hydrated all day and are therefore good for people with dry skin
– Create a smooth surface
– Control shine and absorb oil and are therefore really good for people with oily skin
– Reduce redness and inflammation
– Smooth out wrinkles and fine lines by filling them in
– Make pores look smaller
– Make foundation glide on smoothly and blend easily
– Prevent cosmetics from clogging pores
Tinted foundation primers
Tinted foundation primers can correct uneven skintones. Choose a green one if you have red patches, purple for yellow skintone and peach if you have blue skin undertone.
While some primers are water-based, most of them are silicone based. This is because silicones keep the moisture in and create a smooth surface. Here are the most popular ingredients used in primers:
1. Dimethicone: synthetic silicone that forms a barrier on the skin, preventing water loss. It lubricates skin but can feel heavy if it isn’t formulated properly.
2. Cyclomethicone: a synthetic silicone that has a dryer finish than dimethicone. It is lightweight and evaporates rapidly.
How to apply makeup primers
– Apply your moisturizer and wait a few minutes to let it sink in
– Using a brush, a sponge or your fingers, apply your primer
– Let it sink in for a few minutes and then apply your makeup
Do you use makeup primers?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.