I hate blowdrying my hair. I really do. It’s boring and it doesn’t leave my hair as soft and shiny as letting it air drying does. But, sometimes, such as on cold winter days or rushed mornings, it must be done. And when it does, I always use a diffuser.
“But, wait, isn’t a diffuser used only for curly hair?,” I hear you ask. “Yours is as straight as a board! What do you need a diffuser for?”. Volume. My flat hair needs all the help it can get in that department, and a diffuser, if used properly, can help a lot.
What’s a diffuser?
A diffuser is an attachment that goes on the end of the blow dryer nozzle. There are several types. They can come with a particular model of hair dryer and be custom made for it. These are usually round and made of plastic. If yours doesn’t have one, you can buy a universal diffuser designed to fit most models. Diffusers can also have long or short finger knobs. The former comes with a sort of cup ball area for hair to nestle in. For travelling, use a sock diffuser instead. Shaped like a sock, these are smaller and fit easily into any bag.
What is a diffuser for?
A diffuser converts the strong blast of air into a gentler flow that spread softly through your locks. This is particular useful for curly hair, as a diffuser allows you to style it without messing up its natural shape. It also prevents frizzy hair. Those with straight hair can benefit from using a diffuser too. When used right, it can create lots of root volume.
How to use a diffuser for curly hair
1. Set your blowdryer on a medium speed. This will avoid it overheating.
2. Keep your blowdryer moving in a circular motion to distribute the air evenly through your locks.
2. Hang your head upside down and put your curls in the cup of the diffuser.
3. Move the diffuser towards your scalp to get heat to the roots. While doing so, be careful not to disrupt the shape of your curls.
4. Keep working in sections until your hair is almost dry.
5 Then, flip your head over. Your hair will be have a lot of volume now, so adjust your curls, and give them the shape you want.
How to use a diffuser for volume
1. Set your blowdryer on medium or low speed.
2. Diffuse your hair at the roots first, and then move in circular motions.
3. Hold the diffuser at a 90 degree angle from your head. This will lift the roots away from your scalp.
4. Work on one section of hair at a time.
5. Flip your hair upside down and dry it with a diffuser for about a minute. This will give it A LOT of volume.
Do you use a diffuser when you blowdry your hair?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.