It’s no secret I love rosehip oil – I’ve been raving about it for months now. But, I’ve never told you which one I use, right?
*hangs head in shame*
Well, it’s time to reveal the mystery…
A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C. Cos why settle for rosehip oil alone when you can throw vitamin C in the mix too?
Key Ingredients In A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C
Rosehip Seed Extract
Don’t confuse rosehips with roses! Rosehip comes from the hips of roses, i.e. from the radish-like ball roses leave behind after they blossom.
Rosehip oil has several skincare superpowers:
- Moisturising: it’s loaded with linoleic acid, a fatty acid that improves your skin’s barrier function and helps water stay in the skin. Together with vitamin C, it improves senile dryness and slows down aging, too!
- Anti-acne: acne sufferers have less linoleic acid in their sebum than people without acne. Adding it back in helps reduce the size of mini-comedones (mini pimples).
- Antiaging: rosehip is a natural source of vitamin A, an antioxidant that destroys free radicals, boosts collagen and speeds up cellular turnover (i.e., the skin’s natural exfoliating process). That’s 3 ways to keep wrinkles at bay!
- Brightening: vitamin A and linoleic acid help fade away sun spots and discolourations.
If you’re into natural skincare, it doesn’t get any better than this.
Rosehip oil does contain vitamin C – but only a little. That’s why I’m thrilled A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C added an extra dose to the mix.
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, to be precise. A mix of vitamin C with Isopalmitic Acid, this derivatives is oil-soluble, so it penetrate skin faster than any other form of vitamin C out there.
Once inside, it works like all other forms of vitamin C:
- Fights the free radicals that cause premature aging
- Boosts collagen production, keeping skin firm
- Increases UV photoprotection, helping to reduce sun damage
- Lightens dark spots and discolourations
Basically, it does what other forms of Vitamin C do. But, because it penetrates skin faster and more easily, it works better.
The catch? Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate is third (out of 4 ingredients) on the label. This means there could be anywhere from 30% (super effective) to 1% (better than nothing). My guess is it’s somewhere in between.
Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil
Macadamia nut oil is an underrated skincare hero. It’s very similar to human sebum so it sinks in quickly without leaving a greasy residue behind.
The oil is loaded with fatty acids, including linoleic (an old friend), palmitoleic and oleic. These fatty acids are super moisturizing: they create a barrier on the skin that traps moisture in, keeping it soft and hydrated for hours.
The high amount of oleic acid also makes it more suitable for dry skin. Oily skin fares better with oils high in linoelic acid, instead.
Let’s Put It To The Test: Personal Use & Opinion
A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C is a deep golden hue with a rich texture that sinks quickly into the skin, making it glow on the spot.
I use it at night and, when I wake up in the morning, my skin looks a little brighter. It’s softer and more hydrated, too. My skin is on the dry side now (thanks, crappy London weather!) and this helps me keep it in good condition.
Plus, with all the antioxidants in here, I can rest assured a good share of free radicals are killed while I’m sleeping. Fewer free radicals = fewer wrinkles.
On the downside, A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C isn’t as good at fighting mini-pimples as pure rosehip oil. Just goes to show that no one size fits all.
If you’ve got dry skin like yours truly and want something to restore suppleness and glow, this’ll be one of your best skincare buys ever. If you’re on the oily side and prefer something that can help you fight breakouts too, stick to pure rosehip oil.
Have you ever tried A’Kin Rosehip Oil With Vitamin C? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Ingredients: Rosa canina (Rosehip) Seed Extract, Macadamia ternifolia Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract.
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.