Summer may be over (sigh!), but that doesn’t mean that you can stop removing unwanted hairs from your body. Being a wimp with a low pain threshold, I’ve always shaved. It’s quick, painless and effective, but the next day the hairs begin to grow back again, which means it’s time for another shave.
I’m really getting tired of shaving so often so I’ve been seriously considering waxing. I’m really scared of the pain though, so I thought I’d do a bit of research and see if there are any ways to reduce it and make the treatment hurt as less as possible. Here’s what I found out:
1. Exfoliate: removing all the dead skin cells that have accumulated on the surface will allow the wax to better grip shorter hair. Because of this, always exfoliate the day before you know you’re gonna wax.
2. Wax after your period: your pain threshold is lower the week before your period and higher a week or two after. So, if you decide to wax, make sure you do it afterwards. The perfect time would be around the time you’re ovulating.
3. Opt for hard wax: although the name soft wax can make you think it is gentler than hard wax, that’s not really true. Hard wax is the gentler of the two so make sure to use that. And if you’re gonna have it done at a spa or salon, make sure they use hard wax too.
4. Breathe in, breathe out: the way you breathe can help control the pain too. For a less painful experience, breathe in when you apply the wax, and breathe out when you give the strip a yank.
5. Don’t drink: having a drink before you wax may calm your nerves, but the alcohol will make your body more susceptible to pain and so the treatment will hurt a lot more than it should.
6. Take a pain reliever: an hour before waxing, take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as Ibuprofen, Advil or Aspirin. It will help control the pain and reduce inflammation. (I’ll definitely take one if I decide to try waxing! 🙂 )
Have you tried these tips? If so, do they work for you? And what else do you do to reduce the pain?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.