22 Surprising Beauty Uses For Vaseline

by beautifulwithbrains

Vaseline is a staple in my beauty bag. I lost count of the amount of times it came to my skin’s rescue and helped me out of a beauty emergency. It’s hard to believe, isn’t it? Vaseline doesn’t look like much, and it’s so cheap, but there really a gazillion things you can do with it.

Here are just 22 of my favourite beauty uses for vaseline:

1. Lip balm: when my lips get all dry and chapped in winter, I slather a thin layer of vaseline on my lips. The taste is awful, but my lips are all soft and moisturized again. Bye bye chapped lips!

2. Moisturizes dry skin: I have combination skin that gets drier around my cheeks in winter. When that happens, I simply apply some vaseline to the area, and voilà, skin is soft once again.

3. Hand and feet moisturizer: harsh winter weather causes havoc on my skin. And, after months of being hidden under clothes and boots, my feet need some TLC. The solution? You guessed it, vaseline. I apply some on my hands and feet, put on either gloves or socks, and wait about 10-15 minutes, to give vaseline time to soak into the skin. When I take my gloves/socks off, my hands/feet are sooo soft!

4. All over moisturiser: my skin gets insanely dry in winter. I blame it on a combination of freezing cold weather and relaxing hot showers. If I’ve run out of my beloved Haus Of Gloi Pumpking Butters, I’ll apply vaseline on my body. Works a treat.

5. Eye makeup remover: when I run out of makeup remover, I turn to vaseline. Does the job quickly and effectively.

6. Scrub: I’m not a big fan of scrubs. I prefer chemical exfoliants these days. But if you like to use a good scrub, you can make your own by mixing petroleum jelly with sea salt. Easy peasy.

7. Night cream: I don’t like to bring a lot of products with me when I’m travelling. If it’s a short trip, I’ll just use vaseline as my night cream. It does the job well, and I couldn’t leave it at home anyway. It’s so useful! Just remember to warm it up first.

8. Protects manicure: before painting my nails, I always make sure to apply some vaseline at their base. It prevents the color from running.

9. Shaving: when I run out of shaving cream, I use vaseline. I slather a very thin layer (don’t use too much, or it’ll plug up your razor!) on the area that needs shaving and shave. No need to use water. The best part? Skin is super smooth afterwards!

10. Highlighter: strobing is all the rage now. I wouldn’t suggest using vaseline for that, but you could use the tiniest bit on your cheeks and undereye area for that dewy look. I do sometimes.

11. Softens elbows: my mom’s elbows were pretty rough. Until she started applying vaseline daily. Now, they’re so soft!

12. Lipgloss: I’m a sucker for lipglosses, but I never buy clear ones. When I just want a bit of shine on my lips, I’ll use vaseline. It’s more moisturizing than any lipgloss I’ve ever tried, too.

13. Maintains fragrance longer: some perfumes smell gorgeous, but last so little! To make it linger longer, apply a thin layer of vaseline on your wrist (or wherever else you’re going to apply perfume) before spraying the fragrance on. You’ll be surprised at how well it works.

14. Lip exfoliant: I like to exfoliate my lips before using a bold red lipstick. First, I apply petroleum jelly to my lips. I wait a few minutes and then, using an old toothbrush, I scrub my lips. The result? Soft, smooth lips.

15. Protects skin from hair dye: when I used to dye my hair blonde, I would first apply some vaseline around the hairline. It protects skin from the harsh chemicals contained in the dye.

16. Conditioner: if you have dry hair, you can apply some vaseline to the scalp before shampooing. It’ll condition it and make it soft.

17. Seals in split ends: unfortunately, there’s no way to repair split ends for good. But you can hide them. How? Just put some vaseline on them. It’ll seal them in and make them look like they aren’t there. But don’t do this too often. It takes a couple of shampoos to remove vaseline from your hair!

18. Cream blusher: if I don’t have the right blush shade in my makeup bag, I’ll make my own. It’s really easy. I just mix some vaseline with a bit of lipstick, and apply the paste on my cheeks. Lovely!

19. Prevents uneven tanning: I don’t use tanning lotions anymore, but if you do, you need to know this trick. If you put some petroleum jelly on dry spots before using a fake tan lotion, your tan will be even all over. Wonderful, isn’t it? And so easy!

20. Moisturizes and tames eyebrows: if I need to tame some unruly eyebrows, I’ll use vaseline. Quick and easy.

21. Prevents chafing: do you have a gorgeous pair of shoes that hurts and chafes at your feet? I do too. If I want to wear them, I’ll just apply some vaseline on my heels and the balls of my feet. Now I can walk in them without feeling the pain.

22. Stains remover: no matter how careful I am, sometimes a bit of makeup ends up on my clothes, staining them. Whenever that happens, I turn to vaseline. It does the trick well and quickly.

Do you know other beauty uses for vaseline? Let me know in the comments!

Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping

Screenshot from 2017 04 30 11 51 35

Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.

Powered by ConvertKit

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

664 comments

Morgan September 11, 2011 - 1:52 pm

All these tips are fantastic, and I’ll be sure to try them all! Sometimes if a get a zit that gets cracked and dry (usually from harsh acne medicines) I put a little vaseline (or something similar like carmex) on the area before applying make up or powder. It helps stick better, but it also instantly makes it smoother so the make up will look neater and prettier and not dry and yucky!

beautifulwithbrains September 11, 2011 - 8:10 pm

Morgan, that’s a great tip, thanks for sharing.

ronda October 18, 2011 - 8:33 pm

My friend applies vaseline on her legs when she´s going out wearing skirt and it´s getting colder outside.she sais it works wonders!! old gipsy trick ; )
..and as lube of course ; )

beautifulwithbrains October 19, 2011 - 7:31 am

Ronda, I never heard about that, but I’ll try it, thanks!

J November 1, 2011 - 3:56 pm

Vaseline may seem to work but the oil doesn’t actually HEAL the skin. It sits right under the skin, sealing it off and not healing it. THAT is why one has to keep using it or use it in conjunction with other moisturizers.

beautifulwithbrains November 1, 2011 - 9:15 pm

J, as Paula Begoun writes on her site, “Topical application of petrolatum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally heal the skin (Source: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November–December 2000, pages 412–415)”, so yes, vaseline helps heal skin.

Jode November 9, 2011 - 8:57 am

It only seals the skin forming a barrier “helping” healing. It has NO healing properties itself. The best natural healer is any vegetable oil, such as olive or sunflower oil, just as cheap but plant derived, not from crude oil.
Use this for all of the above and more! I use the oil cleansing method and have for about three years now and my skin has never been so healthy, I still get blemishes obviously, but the overall result is fantastic.
So remember there is always a different method that may well just work better for you.

Xx

beautifulwithbrains November 10, 2011 - 11:52 am

Jode, yes, but by helping fixing the skin’s outer layer, it does help skin heal.

Olive oil is another wonderful multitasking product that can be used for most of the uses above. I have actually written a post about olive oil and the benefits it has for the skin. You can find it here if you’re interested: http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2010/02/23/olive-oil-in-skincare/

They are both cheap and effective options imo and, at the end of the day, everyone should use what works best for their skin. For some it’s vaseline, for other vegetable oils. The purpose of this post was to share the uses of vaseline, not to imply that’s it’s the best option out there. I do love it though as it’s effective, versatile and cheap.

Chelsea September 12, 2011 - 5:49 pm

If you put a little vaseline around your nail (like on your cuticles) before you paint your nails, the extra polish on your fingers will just rinse off after the polish is dry. This is really helpful if you have unsteady hands. But you should make sure the polish on your nails is dry first.

beautifulwithbrains September 12, 2011 - 7:59 pm

Chelsea, I have unsteady hands so I’ll definitely try this tip, thanks for sharing.

marjorie September 13, 2011 - 12:46 am

I am definitely trying the vaseline around the nails and cuticles, Great Tip , Thank You Chelsea. *+*

Kaleigh September 16, 2011 - 3:11 pm

If you put Vaseline on your heels or where ever you get blisters from shoes, it prevents the shoes from giving you blisters!

beautifulwithbrains September 16, 2011 - 7:20 pm

Kaleigh, that’s great to know. Thanks for sharing.

fsa September 17, 2011 - 1:36 am

Instead of wearing mascara, you can put vaseline on the tips of your eyelashes to make them seem longer and grow more.

beautifulwithbrains September 18, 2011 - 6:37 pm

Fsa, what a great tip. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Kay September 18, 2011 - 3:53 am

I like to coat(very thick) my feet & then put on some socks the socks help keep the vaseline on the feet to do its job. At least keep on for a few hours for good effect(I myself sleep in the socks the longer the better) This concept also works for hands just use gloves. Also you can use vaseline once in a while for your cat to help aide/prevent hairballs from clogging them up “to prevent troublesome hairballs, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat’s nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.”

beautifulwithbrains September 28, 2011 - 6:12 am

Kay, thanks for sharing this wonderful tips! I didn’t know that about vaseline and cats.

fsa September 18, 2011 - 6:39 pm

Actually, I’ve thought of another one- idk about you, but when tweezing my eyebrows I apply vaseline beforehand and it makes it less painful.

beautifulwithbrains September 18, 2011 - 7:13 pm

Fsa, I haven’t tried that yet (don’t tweeze my eyebrows often eheh), but I definitely will try it next time I do. Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂

Kendal September 18, 2011 - 11:01 pm

vaseline should never be used as a moisturizer simply because it creates a barrier so that no moisture can escape. That SOUNDS like a brilliant idea but that means the toxins and bacteria that your body is trying to expel are now trapped under this heavy duty layer of grease. Causing infections in your pores, pores+infection= Zits/pimples/boils. every time.

beautifulwithbrains September 19, 2011 - 6:12 am

Kendal, vaseline forms a barrier on the skin that slows down water loss, hence keeping it hydrated and moisturized for longer and improving the appearance of dry, damaged skin. But it doesn’t clog pores and clog breakouts. It is true that it can trap comedogenic ingredients under this barrier, which will cause pimples but if you avoid using it with those, vaseline won’t cause any problems. As for toxins, it is the liver and kidneys that get rid of those, not the skin.

dila September 21, 2011 - 10:04 am

skin does get rid of toxins. this includes sweating.. that’s why we sweat, our body is doing its job to get rid of the toxins.

beautifulwithbrains September 21, 2011 - 12:41 pm

Dila, actually that’s just a common misconception. Sweat has only one function and that’s cooling your body down when it’s too hot. It is true that sweat contains trace amounts of toxins, but these are minuscule (less than 1%) so you won’t really detoxify your body through sweat. It’s the liver and kidneys that get rid of toxins, not skin.

ljpeps November 8, 2011 - 8:59 pm

Beautifulwithbrains is right, your body uses evaporationt to cool your body down, it releases fluid onto the skin and then the fluid uses the heat from your body to evaporate hence the cooling process

Michelle September 22, 2011 - 10:15 pm

Vaseline around the eyes and on the face sounds sketchy to me. I have a hard enough time putting in contact lenses. Vaseline can get into the eyes. Since it has menthol and petroleum, I’d imagine it would sting and be hard to flush out of the eye. Also, my sister put Vaseline on her face for a pimple she had, it caused her entire face to breakout for months. Her dermatologist said it was definitely because of the Vaseline. It didn’t allow her skin to breathe and expel toxins. So, I’d just have to say, be careful and check with a professional before applying this product to the face or eye area.

beautifulwithbrains September 23, 2011 - 6:43 pm

Michelle, I’m sorry your sister had such a bad experience with vaseline! It’s not a good idea to apply to pimples, but I never heard of it causing a reaction like that. As far as I know vaseline itself isn’t comedogenic but can cause breakouts when used in conjunction with products containing comedogenic ingredient as these get trapped under the protective barrier it forms on the skin. I agree that you have to be careful not to get vaseline inside your eye, but if you pay attention that shouldn’t be a problem.

Roni September 25, 2011 - 8:20 am

I always put vaseline on my pimples before applying pimple cream. 9 times out of 10 they’re significantly smaller or completely gone the next day! It’s also good for when pimple treatments dry out your skin

beautifulwithbrains September 25, 2011 - 8:01 pm

Roni, I’ve always heard that it isn’t a good idea to put vaseline on pimples but I’m glad that works well for you. Thanks for sharing.

Beauty September 28, 2011 - 3:27 am

Wow these are truly some great tips for the use of vaseline, the beauty tips are the best!

Thanks,

beautifulwithbrains September 28, 2011 - 6:15 am

Beauty, thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the post.

Waynona September 28, 2011 - 4:25 am

Vaseline works great on my patent leather shoes makes them SHINE and if raining no problem runs right off.

beautifulwithbrains September 28, 2011 - 6:20 am

Waynona, what great tips! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

justjenny1977 October 2, 2011 - 5:56 pm

HI, Every night I use Vaseline to remove my eye makeup. I put a small amount on my finger and then rub it onto my eyelashes and eyelids. I then use a tissue to wipe it all off. Works amazingly, and it has never hurt my eyes.

beautifulwithbrains October 2, 2011 - 7:44 pm

justjenny1977, it’s very effective at removing eye makeup, isn’t it? And so cheap. Thanks for your comment.

Hannah October 5, 2011 - 12:59 am

I put vaseline around my hairline before I dye my hair, that way if I get dye on my skin it wipes off easily.

beautifulwithbrains October 5, 2011 - 6:29 am

Hannah, that’s a great tip. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel October 8, 2011 - 2:16 am

Don’t use vaseline to remove eye makeup! It will get it off, but my aunt had done this for years and when she recently had eye surgery they removed a tablespoon of vaseline from each eye from way up under the eye lids!

beautifulwithbrains October 8, 2011 - 7:58 pm

Rachel, omg, that is awful! I’m really sorry to hear that and I hope your aunt has fully recovered. It’s a shame, vaseline is so effective at removing makeup. I guess those who want to use it will have to be extra careful..

Katie October 22, 2011 - 1:23 am

Rachel, Ive heard a lot of stories like this. I guess it just depends on how careful you are, like beautifulwithbrains said. Just like cream eyeshadow could clog up tear ducts, if you put it in the wrong spot.

marjorie October 9, 2011 - 3:07 am

I have been using Vaseline for a while now to remove eye makeup. As Vaseline is very effective for removing eye makeup. Having said that I just recently found out from an Ophthalmology why Vaseline is not recommend as an eye makeup remover because it blocks the tear ducts of the eyes and over time the eyes become dry eyes. They said do not put creams on the eyes because the same thing happens. The tear ducts cannot function right. Just thought this was very good info to throw out there for you all. Granted you will do what you want to do. But for many other uses Vaseline is very good, Just not around the eyes. *+*

beautifulwithbrains October 9, 2011 - 6:35 pm

Marjorie, thanks so much for your comment. I didn’t know that, it’s very useful indeed. I think we all have to be extremely careful when using something around the eye, and sometimes it’s better not to use anything at all. Shame, cos it’s such a good makeup remover.

marjorie October 10, 2011 - 4:37 am

@beautifulwithbrains , I know it was a great eye makeup remover. But now that I know that it’s not worth getting dry eyes over, So my Ophthalmology friend said she use Baby Shampoo to remove her eye makeup, So Price wise its about the same as Vaseline. So thats a better price then having to buy eye makeup remover and far more safer. I tried it works great. I hope this tip is useful for you and your readers. *+*

beautifulwithbrains October 10, 2011 - 6:12 am

Marjorie, I agree it’s not worth getting dry eyes over. I never heard about using baby shampoo to remove eye makeup but I will give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

marjorie October 11, 2011 - 3:57 am

Your welcome, I do half water and half baby shampoo, Either way it doesn’t burn the eyes, That why its safe for babies faces, Let me know what you think after you use it. Have a fabulous night *+*

beautifulwithbrains October 11, 2011 - 6:17 am

Marjorie, I will and thanks for the tip about the doses!

Like it never happened October 15, 2011 - 1:49 am

During those rough puberty and pregnancy years, I have obtained a few stretch marks. But I read in a magazine that using vaseline would help them go away. I’ve been doing it every night for about six months, and they are so faint, and in bright light appear to be on even with the skin rather than deep and uneven. So much more economical than laser surgery or those expensive creams than claim to help. Plus I’m sure you can use it to prevent those pesky stretch marks, they’re scars you get in the deepest layers of skin from it stretching more than it can take 🙁

beautifulwithbrains October 16, 2011 - 8:33 pm

Like it never happened, that’s good to know. I’m glad it works well for you and thanks for sharing.

Jode November 9, 2011 - 9:15 am

This is a great tip!
When I had my two boys I used olive oil to start with then went on line and brought some cocoa butter and mixed them up and I never even got one stretch Mark…!!!
Big ups for tummy rubs!!

Xx

beautifulwithbrains November 10, 2011 - 12:44 pm

Jode, I’m glad that worked well for you. 🙂

Rachel October 17, 2011 - 3:01 am

If you put vaseline on a water stain on a table or night stand it will fade it

beautifulwithbrains October 17, 2011 - 5:58 am

Rachel, that’s very handy. Thanks for sharing.

Zainab October 18, 2011 - 3:18 am

Great tips! Also a cool one is you can mix a bit of Vasline with your favorite color eye shadow and it makes a great lip gloss (:

beautifulwithbrains October 18, 2011 - 6:19 am

Zainab, what a wonderful tip. Thanks for sharing.

kiera park October 20, 2011 - 2:06 am

it gets rid of lice!

beautifulwithbrains October 20, 2011 - 4:06 pm

Kiera, does it? That’s good to know, thanks for sharing.

Jessica October 20, 2011 - 5:21 am

Love these! I have used over half of these tips! vaseline is definitely a must have in my house! I also use it as a base on my eyelids and I have found that my eye shadow lasts all day long (even into the evenings!)

beautifulwithbrains October 20, 2011 - 4:08 pm

Jessica, I’m glad you like vaseline too. It’s just so versatile, isn’t it? I had never thought of using it as an eyeshadow primer but it’s good to know it works well for that too.

Charlotte October 23, 2011 - 2:44 pm

Put it into a jar drop a chocolate chip in and melt it (in the microwave) and it makes a nice chocolate lipbalm!<3

beautifulwithbrains October 23, 2011 - 7:18 pm

Charlotte, sounds delicious! I will try it, thanks for sharing.

Riley October 24, 2011 - 5:48 pm

All of these are very good, but Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly doesn’t have a taste. Also, you can melt some chocolate chips and some Vaseline, mix em together, and you have chocolate flavored lip gloss!

beautifulwithbrains October 24, 2011 - 6:31 pm

Riley, sounds yummy! Thanks for letting us know. 🙂

Beauty October 25, 2011 - 2:54 am

Its also good to keep your hair nice and shiny

beautifulwithbrains October 25, 2011 - 6:24 am

Beauty, I agree. Thanks for sharing.

Em November 3, 2011 - 4:47 pm

I use Vaseline to make my lip colors, like others have mentioned. But I won’t put it near my hair. My sister put a whole tub of Vaseline in my hair when I was a kid, and it took 30 washes to get it out; don’t think I’ve ever recovered from that horror! Haha!

beautifulwithbrains November 3, 2011 - 7:37 pm

Em, the whole tub?! That must have been a nightmare! I use vaseline very sparingly on my hair cos it is really difficult to rinse it all off.

Liz November 4, 2011 - 2:47 am

I use Vaseline every night to remove my eye makeup! I can get everything off in 10 seconds tops, it’s non-irritating, and it leaves the tender skins around my eyes feeling moisturized. I would never spend a bunch of money on eye make-up remover when I have Vaseline, seriously, it’s great.

beautifulwithbrains November 4, 2011 - 7:28 am

Liz, it’s a wonderful and inexpensive makeup remover, isn’t it? Love it too. 🙂

Kelly Timan November 4, 2011 - 7:02 pm

sorry not a fan of Vaseline. There are better salves (plant based) that are better for you and the environment.

beautifulwithbrains November 4, 2011 - 8:09 pm

Kelly, actually there is no scientific proof that natural ingredients are more effective or safer, it’s a matter of personal preference really. Some people prefer synthetic ingredients, other natural ones, but I think we should just use what works for us.

littlelozzie November 8, 2011 - 12:20 pm

Vaseline tests on animals the one and only reason I would never EVER be using these tips!

beautifulwithbrains November 8, 2011 - 2:46 pm

Littleozzie, I understand where you’re coming from and I can see why you don’t want to use vaseline. Animal testing is really a controversial topic. I don’t like it either but the law says that the products sold must obviously be safe and, unfortunately, sometimes the only way to ensure that is to test on animals. But scientists are working on developing alternative tests that will prove the safety (or lack of) of ingredients without using animals so one day, hopefully soon, animal testing will be a thing of the past.

anniared November 10, 2011 - 4:06 am

Mixing vaseline with Kool-Aid powder makes a great tasting lip gloss!

beautifulwithbrains November 10, 2011 - 1:33 pm

Anniared, great to know! Thanks for sharing.

Iggy November 11, 2011 - 3:25 am

I’m a chronic nose-bleeder. My sinuses get dried out and any small hit or abrasion to the outside of my nose will cause the blood vessels to break on the inside and the nose will bleed. Just take the Vaseline, coat the insides of your nostrils and BAM! You’ll hydrate those blood vessels and no more bleeding. 🙂

beautifulwithbrains November 11, 2011 - 2:50 pm

Iggy, I’m sorry to hear that, must be awful. But I’m glad vaseline helps. Thanks for sharing.

amy November 11, 2011 - 8:16 pm

apply the valesine to your lashes before mascara, it prevents lumps and helps lash definition 🙂

beautifulwithbrains November 11, 2011 - 9:32 pm

Amy, what an useful tip, thanks for sharing!

pattyfahey November 12, 2011 - 6:23 am

Vaseline is also good to remove puffy under eye circles!

beautifulwithbrains November 13, 2011 - 9:40 pm

Pattyfahey, really? I’ll have to try it then, thanks!

Millie November 12, 2011 - 5:54 pm

I have used Vaseline on the delicate skin under my eyes for years, before bed time. It moisturizes that area, and I think it has helped to minimize fine lines and wrinkles there. I love it as an eye make up remover; I spread some on a wet piece of facial tissue, and gently wipe off eyeshadow and mascara. I close my eyes and use a gentle, downward stroke. It removes all the makeup, and leaves the area around my eyes soft and smooth. I love it.

beautifulwithbrains November 13, 2011 - 9:01 pm

Millie, I agree, it’s a wonderful makeup remover. Effective and cheap. I’m glad you like it too.

Laraine November 13, 2011 - 9:15 am

Dip a screw into Vaseline before screwing it into wood. It stops it from rusting and makes it easier to remove at a later date. It’s a good routine to get into.

beautifulwithbrains November 13, 2011 - 8:40 pm

Laraine, I didn’t know that! Thanks for sharing!

Davida November 15, 2011 - 4:29 pm

Put a thin layer of Vaseline on your whole face before you go to sleep. Believe it or not it makes your skin so soft and removes redness. It is a super model trick!

beautifulwithbrains November 15, 2011 - 6:32 pm

Davida, what a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

skye November 16, 2011 - 9:14 pm

you can put it on your eyelashes before bed and it will make them grow fuller and longer in a week or so.

beautifulwithbrains November 17, 2011 - 7:23 am

Skye, nice tip! Thanks for sharing.

tina November 20, 2011 - 4:50 am

I use it on my cats paws to keep hairballs at bay, she just licks it right off, no problem and way cheaper than the over the counter stuff

beautifulwithbrains November 20, 2011 - 8:51 pm

Tina, that’s a great tip. Thanks for sharing!

tamara November 21, 2011 - 4:20 am

I use and have used it for on my eyelids before i put on eyeshadow.
it makes it so i don’t have to use as much shadow (the product lasts longer//justifies buying a more expensive shadow) and it doesn’t melt or clump like some shadow bases might.

beautifulwithbrains November 21, 2011 - 7:03 am

Tamara, I didn’t know it worked well as an eyeshadow primer too. That’s wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Garrett November 21, 2011 - 9:46 pm

I use vaseline as hair gel every day it works great. i just rub some on my hands push my hair back and run a comb through it and booya hair gel.

beautifulwithbrains November 22, 2011 - 7:21 am

Garrett, thanks for your comment. I’m glad that works well for you.

Angelique Deleon November 24, 2011 - 8:54 pm

My grandmother used to use Vaseline on her hands then put on white gloves,before she went to bed to keep them soft. She also used in her heels as well. All have to say about Vaseline is be careful about getting it from the dollar store. I purchased a jar one day from there and the righting in the back was in Arabic, Well the smell of petroleum was over powering. Here a great fact that I researched about Vaseline.

Robert Chesebrough, a young chemist whose previous work of distilling fuel from the oil of sperm whales (which had been rendered obsolete by petroleum), went to Titusville to see what new materials had commercial potential. Chesebrough took the unrefined black “rod wax”, as the drillers called it, back to his laboratory to refine it and explore potential uses. Chesebrough discovered that by distilling the lighter, thinner oil products from the rod wax, he could create a light-colored gel. Chesebrough patented the process of making petroleum jelly by U.S. Patent 127,568 in 1872. The process involved vacuum distillation of the crude material followed by filtration of the still residue through bone char.

Chesebrough traveled around New York demonstrating the product to encourage sales by burning his skin with acid or an open flame, then spreading the ointment on his injuries and showing his past injuries healed, he claimed, by his miracle product.

He opened his first factory in 1870 in Brooklyn using the name Vaseline

beautifulwithbrains November 25, 2011 - 7:29 am

Angelique, thanks a lot for sharing both your tips and the history of vaseline. How interesting! Can’t believe he would burn his skin for a demonstration, that’s dedication! And craziness but I guess it must have worked and helped sales.

terry villeneuve November 30, 2011 - 5:06 pm

I love using Vaseline.. have for years! My trick, before going to a function in the evening, rub a little on your front teeth.. prevents lipstick from sticking to your teeth!

beautifulwithbrains November 30, 2011 - 8:09 pm

Terry, that’s a very useful tip. Thanks for sharing.

Courtney December 11, 2011 - 1:03 am

Thanks for sharing. I use Vaseline all the time. I didn’t know about the makeup remover tip though. I definitely use it for my skin and lips. Realized to coat it on a night from an article I read at Taaz.com: http://www.taaz.com/trends/skincare/tips-to-avoid-dry-skin/EhOm4QEefQpc4Cv-_I_Xwj47s9FUv-ZP.html

beautifulwithbrains December 11, 2011 - 8:55 pm

Courtney, what an interesting article, thanks for sharing. Vaseline is a wonderful moisturizer, isn’t it?

Snowbird December 12, 2011 - 5:13 am

Thanks for the tips. I use vaseline every night as a routine. It is the only lipbalm I will use.
I’ve also used it to polish shoes like someone mentioned earlier. I also use vaseline on my camera lens. It works and easy to wipe off.

beautifulwithbrains December 12, 2011 - 6:36 pm

Snowbird, vaseline is a wonderful lip balm and has so many other uses too. Thanks for sharing a few with us. I’ll definitely try it on my camera lens.

KatieDidn't December 19, 2011 - 8:39 am

I use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion to help heal my tattoo’s. don’t know if the actual vaseline petroleum jelly is good for a tattoo since it creates a barrier, and the tattoo needs to breathe to heal, but my tattoo artist specifically recommended i use vaseline lotion because it’s super effective and cheap. Also, i know everyone here is in love with their vaseline, but as far as hair dying goes, if you are afraid of product build up from vaseline when you apply it to your hairline before dying, switch it out for a little bit of your conditioner instead. it works just as well, and it wont cause excess product build up in your hair or on your scalp. =)

beautifulwithbrains December 19, 2011 - 9:51 am

KatieDidn’t, if your tattoo artists has recommended it, then you shouldn’t worry. It’ll work well and there is no need to spend more money for something pricer that will work just as well, or even less well.

And thanks for the hair drying tips. I usually use vaseline but I agree that conditioner works well too. 🙂

Trish December 20, 2011 - 6:04 am

Two uses – Neither beauty related.
1. We gave a small dab for our cats to lick about twice a week. They loved it and it prevents hairballs

2. This was taught to me in an outdoor survival class – One of the suggested items to carry in a small survival kit was a medicine bottle with Vaseline soaked cotton balls. Vaseline is petroleum therefore it is flammable. If ever trying to start a fire without matches or a lighter… Get a cotton ball and put Vaseline on it. Pull it apart so that it can breath a bit. Then with a spark you can light the cotton ball. The survival kit needs to have a flint maker also but if you dint have one you can use rocks to create a spark.

beautifulwithbrains December 20, 2011 - 7:19 am

Trish, I didn’t know vaseline could be used to start a fire! Thanks for sharing these useful tips!

Shane December 21, 2011 - 2:26 am

When you have a cold and your nose is raw fom blowing it, use Vaseline to moustirze it. works awesome.

beautifulwithbrains December 21, 2011 - 7:01 am

Shane, that’s good to know! Thanks for sharing.

Jessica December 28, 2011 - 4:17 am

As a pre-professional ballerina, I mix liquid Vaseline and water and soak my feet in the mixture every night for half an hour. Usually I’ll watch television or do homework to pass the time. It has worked wonders for me, and I almost never get blisters from ballet anymore.

Not sure if this one will help with anyone else out there, but I also rub it onto dyed pointe shoes (especially black) before a big performance. The stage lights reflect beautifully off the color, but will make un-dyed pointe’s look unprofessionally shiny.

beautifulwithbrains December 28, 2011 - 7:40 am

Jessica, thanks for sharing these tips. I’m sure that ballerinas and other women too will find them very useful. 🙂

jessica December 28, 2011 - 8:29 am

Well just incase any ballerinas out there are reading, if you try this on your pointe shoes be careful to only do the tops of your shoes. Pointe is slippery enough without vaseline on the shank of your shoe!

beautifulwithbrains December 28, 2011 - 8:59 am

Jessica, thanks for specifying that. 🙂

heather January 1, 2012 - 3:46 am

madam, you are a master at rebutting some of these odd claims people are putting up!
(the toxins and “natural remedies” comments especially)
and I will definitely be trying that dry shaving technique.

beautifulwithbrains January 1, 2012 - 9:55 pm

Heather, thank you. Vaseline is great for shaving, I’m sure you will like it too. Just make sure you don’t use too much product. 🙂

1 2 3 4 5 6 7