22 Surprising Beauty Uses For Vaseline

by beautifulwithbrains
beauty uses for vaseline

Vaseline is a staple in my beauty bag. I lost count of the amount of times it came to my skin’s rescue and helped me out of a beauty emergency.

Hard to believe, isn’t it? Vaseline doesn’t look like much. Plus, it’s so cheap. Surely, there’s not much you can do with it?

On the contrary, my friend. Here are just 22 of my favourite beauty uses for vaseline:

1. Lip Balm

When my lips get all dry and chapped in winter, I slather a thin layer of vaseline on my lips. The taste is awful, but my lips are all soft and moisturized again. Bye bye chapped lips!

Related: How To Treat Chapped Lips

2. Moisturiser For Dry Skin

I have combination skin that gets drier around my cheeks in winter. When that happens, I simply apply some vaseline to the area, and voilà, skin is soft once again.

Vaseline works because it creates a protective barrier on the lips that keeps moisture in. The more moisture your skin has, the softer and plumper it gets.

Related: How To Care For Combination Skin

3. Hands And Feet Moisturiser

Harsh winter weather causes havoc on my skin. And, after months of being hidden under clothes and boots, my feet need some TLC.

The solution? You guessed it, vaseline. I apply some on my hands and feet, put on either gloves or socks, and wait about 10-15 minutes, to give vaseline time to soak into the skin. When I take my gloves/socks off, my hands/feet are sooo soft!

4. All over moisturiser

My skin gets insanely dry in winter. I blame it on a combination of freezing cold weather and relaxing hot showers. If I’ve run out of my beloved Haus Of Gloi Pumpkin Butters, I’ll apply vaseline on my body. Works a treat.

Related: My Full Review Of Haus Of Gloi Depravity Pumpkin Butter

5. Eye makeup remover

Vaseline dissolves the oils in your makeup and sunscreen and takes them on a trip down the drain. When I run out of makeup remover, I turn to vaseline. Does the job quickly and effectively.

6. Scrub

I’m not a big fan of scrubs. I prefer chemical exfoliants these days. But if you like to use a good scrub, you can make your own by mixing petroleum jelly with sea salt. Easy peasy.

Related: How To Choose The Best Exfoliator For Your Skin Type

7. Night cream

I don’t like to bring a lot of products with me when I’m travelling. If it’s a short trip, I’ll just use vaseline as my night cream. It does the job well, and I couldn’t leave it at home anyway. It’s so useful! Just remember to warm it up first.

8. Manicure Protector

Before painting my nails, I always make sure to apply some vaseline at their base. It prevents the color from running.

9. Shaving Cream

When I run out of shaving cream, I use vaseline. I slather a very thin layer (don’t use too much, or it’ll plug up your razor!) on the area that needs shaving.

Then, do the deed. No need to use water. The best part? Skin is super smooth afterwards!

10. Highlighter

Strobing is all the rage now. I wouldn’t suggest using vaseline for that, but you could use the tiniest bit on your cheeks and undereye area for that dewy look. I do sometimes.

11. Softens elbows

My mom’s elbows were pretty rough. Until she started applying vaseline daily. Now, they’re so soft!

12. Lipgloss

I’m a sucker for lipglosses, but I never buy clear ones. When I just want a bit of shine on my lips, I’ll use vaseline. It’s more moisturizing than any lipgloss I’ve ever tried, too.

13. Makes Fragrance Lasts Longer

Some perfumes smell gorgeous, but last so little! To make it linger longer, apply a thin layer of vaseline on your wrist (or wherever else you’re going to apply perfume) before spraying the fragrance on. You’ll be surprised at how well it works.

14. Lip exfoliant

I like to exfoliate my lips before using a bold red lipstick. First, I apply petroleum jelly to my lips. I wait a few minutes and then, using an old toothbrush, I scrub my lips. The result? Soft, smooth lips.

15. Protects skin from hair dye

When I used to dye my hair blonde, I would first apply some vaseline around the hairline. It protects skin from the harsh chemicals contained in the dye.

16. Conditioner

If you have dry hair, you can apply some vaseline to the scalp before shampooing. It’ll condition it and make it soft.

17. Seals in split ends

Unfortunately, there’s no way to repair split ends for good. But you can hide them. How?

Just put some vaseline on them. It’ll seal them in and make them look like they aren’t there.

But don’t do this too often. It takes a couple of shampoos to remove vaseline from your hair!

18. Cream blusher

If I don’t have the right blush shade in my makeup bag, I’ll make my own. It’s really easy. I just mix some vaseline with a bit of lipstick, and apply the paste on my cheeks. Lovely!

19. Prevents uneven tanning

I don’t use tanning lotions anymore, but if you do, you need to know this trick. If you put some petroleum jelly on dry spots before using a fake tan lotion, your tan will be even all over. Wonderful, isn’t it? And so easy!

20. Moisturizes and tames eyebrows

If I need to tame some unruly eyebrows, I’ll use vaseline. Quick and easy.

21. Prevents chafing

Do you have a gorgeous pair of shoes that hurts and chafes at your feet? I do too. If I want to wear them, I’ll just apply some vaseline on my heels and the balls of my feet. Now I can walk in them without feeling the pain.

22. Stains remover

No matter how careful I am, sometimes a bit of makeup ends up on my clothes, staining them. Whenever that happens, I turn to vaseline. It does the trick well and quickly.

Do you know other beauty uses for vaseline? Let me know in the comments!

Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping

Screenshot from 2017 04 30 11 51 35

Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.

Powered by ConvertKit

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

664 comments

Nikki February 20, 2009 - 3:35 pm

this helps for my super dry skin too! 🙂 I swore on this! 😀

beautifulwithbrains February 21, 2009 - 12:00 pm

I’m glad vaseline helps you. It is really good for dry skin 🙂

fabulessbeauty February 21, 2009 - 7:50 pm

I use it to remove eye makeup as well!

Citrine February 21, 2009 - 8:50 pm

I’ve seen a girl use it to “gel” her eyebrow before shaping them…Most of the time I just use it as lip balm (works better than anything else in my opinion…)

Dao February 21, 2009 - 10:22 pm

You can mix it with your mineral eyeshadow/blush for a personalized lipgloss or tinted lip balm as well.

Karen February 22, 2009 - 1:11 am

I use it to soften cuticles.

beautifulwithbrains February 22, 2009 - 3:01 pm

fabulessbeauty: I use it for that too at times. It works a lot better than some cheap makeup removers I’ve tried.

Citrine: I mostly use it as a lip balm too. But I love it that such an inexpensive poduct can be used for a lot of things. It’s a quick fix for almost anything.

Dao: I never thought of doing that! Thanks for sharing, I’ll try it soon!

Karen: Thanks for the tip, I’ll definitely try that soon!

Auburn February 23, 2009 - 5:39 am

Having been in the hair biz for 18 yrs and love my industry, I WOULD recommend P.J. as a barrier cream for hair coloring, but nothing else having to do with the hair or scalp. P.J. is NOT water soluble and will COAT the skin and hair not condition it.
Living in Santa Monica Ca. the best way to get that freshly bake tan is to exfoliate first them use a moisturizing lotion (well made moisturizes DO NOT contain PJ ) then go for the bake.
P.J. is a mixed bag !!

beautifulwithbrains February 23, 2009 - 1:07 pm

Thanks for your comment Auburn. PJ acts like a barrier that keeps moisture in but it is also greasy and thick. It is very good at moisturizing severely dry skin. However, some of the uses listed are quick fixes. I wouldn’t really recommend using it to seal on split ends often for example, but it works great once in a while if you’re in a ruch or something like that.

Fiza August 12, 2009 - 3:37 am

Hi,
I have oily skin. Can I benefit from using PJ on my face as a moisturizer?

Thanks in advance!

Fiza

beautifulwithbrains August 12, 2009 - 11:01 am

Fiza, PJ is as good as moisturizer as any, so it will make skin soft and help retain moisture. It is very thick though, so only apply a very thin layer on th skin.

Chikoduck October 9, 2009 - 4:30 am

do NOT put it in you hair!!!
trust me!! yes vaseline is great for moisturising ans etc, but once ou get it in you hair it’s almost impossible to get it out!!
i used it as a hair mask after someones suggested it, i couldn’t get it out for weeks! i tried everything! it felt so nasty! like you hair would be like a grease shell but you scalt is dry from all the washing, argh!
so be aware! unless you want to spend hours in the shower DO NOT PUT IT IN YOU HAIR!!!

Chikoduck October 9, 2009 - 4:32 am

woops! just realsed i made a ton of spelling errors =[
ignore them please =P

beautifulwithbrains October 9, 2009 - 10:16 am

Chikoduck, I’m sorry that happened to you, sounds really bad! Yeah, vaseline is a pain to remove from hair and that’s why I think it should be used only in emergencies and in very tiny amounts.
And don’t worry about the spelling mistakes, we all make them sometimes 🙂

Erika January 1, 2010 - 2:02 am

I like to apply vaseline to pimples that have gotten really bad, basically when they are no longer a zit and more of a scab. The vaseline keeps them from growing a really think scab, therefore making it less painful (in my opinion). I assume it has something to do with help keep the area moisturized, they seem to heal faster when I apply the vaseline. Hope this works for someone else out there!

beautifulwithbrains January 1, 2010 - 10:44 pm

Erika, I had never thought of that but I’m glad it works for you. I’ll give it a go next time I have a zit. Thanks for the tip.

Grace January 4, 2010 - 7:52 am

PJ will also dissolve cream wax. I use it after I get waxed to get the wax that sticks to my legs and armpits if any gets missed — moreso now I’m doing it myself 🙂 You can also use it while you’re waxing to keep your hands from getting sticky.

beautifulwithbrains January 4, 2010 - 8:17 pm

Grace, I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing 🙂

lillian January 8, 2010 - 9:40 am

i also use it as a clean mascara, i just get a small amount onto my finger and put it onto my lashes in the same motion as when i use a mascara brush. its a really fast, inexpensive option 🙂

beautifulwithbrains January 8, 2010 - 6:43 pm

Lilian, what a handy trick! I never thought of that, but now I’m curious lol. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Pauline January 12, 2010 - 8:14 am

Are you sure it’s okay to use around the eye?

beautifulwithbrains January 12, 2010 - 6:42 pm

Pauline, lots of people swear by it and they have no problem at all. But of course, we are all different, so vaseline may not work well for some people around the eyes. Just be careful when you apply the first time and see how your skin reacts. Also, while vaseline works well on dry skin, I wouldn’t recommended it as a moisturizer for oily skin as it’d probably be too rich.

mary February 5, 2010 - 3:56 am

i heard about how it can soften the hand but leave it on for 10-15 minutes or u leave it on for the whole night u sleep……also the next day is it ok to take a shower to take of the vaseline

beautifulwithbrains February 5, 2010 - 3:43 pm

Mary, yes, valine is very good at moisturizing and softening skin. Whether you leave it on for about 10-15 minutes or the whole night is up to you. Just do whatever works best for you and I think taking a shower the next day should be ok.

Daienna February 15, 2010 - 3:35 pm

I like to use Vaseline to help dark undereye circles. Because its so rich in moisture and locking it in it helps the under eye area become a lot smother making the application of concealer the next day flawless. I also like to use it as a eye lash treatment, It’s great for thickining and repairing the lashes. I expecually recemend you do this if your wearing mascara everyday, mascara is pretty bad for the lashes so PJ makes a big improvement! I use this every nite and i deffently see how much longer my lashes have gotten!

beautifulwithbrains February 16, 2010 - 7:28 pm

Daienna, thanks for the tips. I had never thought of using vaseline on my dark circles but I’m gonna try that now. I have horrible, very dark circles and I need all the help I can get to remove/conceal them. And I’m glad vaseline works so well on your lashes too 🙂

Saeran February 19, 2010 - 7:43 pm

i tryed on my eyelashes and it really does make thicker!!!!!
is it true that i’ll get bumps if i put it under my eye?????

beautifulwithbrains February 19, 2010 - 9:45 pm

Saeran, I’m glad it worked for you. 🙂

What do you mean with bumps? Milia seed? That’s always a possibility when you apply something around your eyes. Maybe try apply a very tiny quantity and see how that goes. Milia seeds are easy to remove when they are newly formed. It’s when they harden that’s almost impossible to get rid of them.

alice February 20, 2010 - 12:01 am

hi everyone! i’m so shocked at all the uses vaseline has! and how cheap and convenient it is too!

I get extremely itchy/irritating flaky red patches around my mouth at winter due to cold weather. I put some vaseline/PJ on my dry patches overnight and after about 2-3 days the red patches are gone!! if i didnt put the PJ on, the dry patches would usually take about 2 – 3 weeks (and sometimes even more) to disappear! I would highly recommend it for dry patchy sensitive skin like mine!

Also when i get a cold my nose goes bright red and is extremely painful and stings terribly! It goes all flaky and inflames. I put vaseline on to sooth the stinging and it seems to slowly get rid of the red flakiness around my nose. It works wonders!

Does anybody else use vaseline this way? How does it work for you?

Thanks for the brilliant tips!

I hope mine work out for you!
Alice x

beautifulwithbrains February 23, 2010 - 7:04 pm

Alice, vaseline is a miracle worker, isn’t it? So effective but very cheap!

I’m glad it works so well for you and thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a go next time I have a cold and my nose is red and flaky. 🙂

Taylor April 9, 2010 - 6:38 pm

I like to use vaseline/PJ on my bruises, since i recently got attacked and bitten multiple times by my friends dog, it left some pretty bad bruises and swelling on my arms hands and wrists. It really helps minimize swelling and discoloration pretty quickly. (:

beautifulwithbrains April 9, 2010 - 8:02 pm

Taylor, I’m sorry that happened to you, it’s awful! I hope you’re well now and I’m glad to hear vaseline helped.

Rissa May 19, 2010 - 3:28 am

Actually Vaseline is not very good to apply anywhere on your skin because it contains Petroleum which is gas based. There’s also been studies on TV like the Oprah show proving that Vaseline is not safe for you and can cause cancer in the future. The product does not even say “Dermatologist Recommended” or “Dermatologist Tested” so i don’t trust it

I admire your list though! I personally would replace the Vaseline with Aquaphor instead, though i’m not sure if it would have the same effects.

beautifulwithbrains May 24, 2010 - 1:23 pm

Hi Rissa, thanks for your comment and sorry for my late reply. I’ve been away at the beginning of the week and still catching up on blog comments and emails.

Petrolatum may be derived from gas, but once refined it has no resemblance to it at all. I have never come across any scientific studies that say vaseline is bad for skin or can cause cancer and I’m not gonna believe Oprah over science. TV shows aren’t always the most reliable source and as for Dermatologist Tested that doesn’t mean anything. It’s just another marketing technique to make consumers think those products are gentler but truth is all ingredients, whether they are synthetic or natural, will give an allergy or irritation to someone.

As for Aquaphor, if I’m not mistaken (please correct me if I am) that contains petrolatum and mineral oil too. I do understand your concerns though. We’re living in a time where we are constantly bombarded with lots of contradictive information, marketing nonsense and scary claims about ingredients so it’s understandable you wanna be on the safe side, but so far, there is no reason to avoid Vaseline. But if you have any scientific studies saying the contrary that I overlooked, please let me know and I’ll reconsider my position. 🙂

Caren May 29, 2010 - 2:07 am

Just had some skin biopsies done at the dermatologist and they told me to apply Vaseline to the biopsy sites to help prevent scarring. So it’s used in place of neosporin or something else like that. I’d never heard of using Vaseline in this way so I thought I’d share!

beautifulwithbrains May 29, 2010 - 3:17 pm

Caren, thank you for sharing this tip and I hope you are well. 🙂

may June 10, 2010 - 1:43 pm

Oh my goooood, i lovee you! thank you SOO much, you’re so awesome!! im definitely going to try the vaseline mixed with lipstick to create a cheek blush, that sounds SOO AMAZING! haha… i recently got dark circles because i havent been sleeping properly and have been eating a lot of salt and not drinking enough water (plus ive been in the sun a lot, yikes) so im going to go ahead and try vaseline under my eyes. ill be sure to report my results back to you 😉 THANKSS AGAIN! <3

beautifulwithbrains June 10, 2010 - 8:58 pm

May, you’re welcome. I’m glad you find these tips useful and I can’t wait to hear how they work for you. 🙂

Nosier Parker June 22, 2010 - 2:11 pm

I have had problems with dry/cracked heels for as long as I can remember. In addition to being unsightly and embarrassing, they were very painful. At times, the cracks were so severe they would bleed. Over the years I have bought and tried endless products in hopes of healing my rough/cracked heels (I shudder to think of the money I have spent on various “miracle” products). Less than a month ago, my aunt noticed my heels and asked if I had ever tried using vaseline (which I had not). Willing to try anything, I started applying vaseline to my heels and covering them with a sock before bed. One month later and the cracks are completely gone! I am stunned! Why had I never heard of this before? Not only did it work wonders, but the $2 jar hardly looks like I’ve put a dent in it. I have since recommended it to anyone who will listen. My sister (who’s heels were as bad as mine if not worse) has recently started using it as well and noticed an immediate difference. It’s wonderful!!!

beautifulwithbrains June 23, 2010 - 9:17 pm

Nosie Parker, that’s awful! I’m sorry you had such bad cracked heels but I’m glad they’re ok now. Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m sure people will find it useful. 🙂 Vaseline is a fantastic moisturizer that can also heal skin well. 🙂

susan July 17, 2010 - 5:59 pm

These are great tips. I use a lot of them, and find the one to guard your skin agains hair dye especially useful. My hairdresser told me that one.

The term Dermatologist Tested means nothing. Maybe they tested it and found out it was crap. Just the words Dermatologist Tested doesn’t tell you what the results of that test was. It’s just a marketing ploy.

beautifulwithbrains July 19, 2010 - 9:22 am

Susan, I love vaseline, you can do so many things with it.

And I agree about Dermatologist Tested, it doesn’t mean nothing. Maybe they tested the product on a few people and didn’t notice any adverse reaction, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t cause irritation in some else.

Molly August 3, 2010 - 4:00 am

I read somewhere that it is useful for removing/decreasing the size of skin moles too. Any comments on that aspect?

beautifulwithbrains August 3, 2010 - 6:32 pm

Molly, I’ve read that too but I’ve never tried it so I don’t know if it works. I guess no harm in trying it though.

Lasya August 19, 2010 - 2:28 am

I am too young to use makeup so I use the next best thing…Vaseline! I put it on my eyelashes as a “clear mascara” and on my lips as a lip gloss. I sometimes put it right on the apples of my cheeks(very little or it gets greasy) as a blush. The vaseline blush looks really good in the sun and photos

beautifulwithbrains August 20, 2010 - 8:49 pm

Lasya, what a great way to use vaseline as makeup. It’s such a great multi-tasking product, isn’t it? And so cheap. Thanks for sharing the tips, I’m sure a lot of young girls will find them very useful.

Bethany August 21, 2010 - 1:03 am

It is also said to make your eyelashes longer if you apply it before sleep.

beautifulwithbrains August 21, 2010 - 9:52 am

Bethany, really? I’d have to try it then. Thanks for the tip.

Jewel August 26, 2010 - 7:44 am

Im extremely sensitive to cold weather, so in the winter I put Vaseline on my hands and feet before putting on my gloves and boots, it keeps me sooo warm and makes my skin sooo soft ! Another tip is after getting out of a hot shower putting vaseline on the eyebrows and then plucking them makes it so easy to get the hair out and almost if not completely painless ! I’ve been reading a lot of contradictory ‘facts’ about PJ and whether or not it clogs pores and causes acne. I have dry-combination skin but it’s acne prone and I’d love to try it on my face but in afraid it’ll make my skin break out. Does petroleum jelly clog pores and cause acne?

beautifulwithbrains August 26, 2010 - 4:19 pm

Jewel, those are great tips, thanks for sharing. As for your question, Vaseline is not comedogenic. People think it is because it can feel greasy when applied but greasiness doesn’t necessary mean comedogenic. Here’s a study that confirm Vaseline doesn’t cause breakouts: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3097361

Hope this helps. 🙂

Michaela September 3, 2010 - 11:02 pm

I love Vaseline so much! Am amazed at how many uses it has – and will definitely be trying it as a cheek highlighter….
Mainly I apply it a few times a week, over my face and neck once I have cleansed, toned and moisturised at night and then leave it on overnight. It creates a layer between your skin and the air so really “cooks” your moisturiser in, making it more effective!
Love love LOVE Vaseline.

beautifulwithbrains September 4, 2010 - 12:15 pm

Michaela, I had never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Michaela September 4, 2010 - 12:42 pm

Just a quick one to say I tried Vaseline today on the apples of my cheeks and it is absolutely FAB. I have been using Benefit High Beam as a cheek highlighter up until now and it costs about 20x as much as Vaseline – will definitely be swapping over cos it is just as good and if anything, Vaseline lasts longer as you only need a tiny bit!

beautifulwithbrains September 4, 2010 - 4:51 pm

Michaela, I’m so glad it worked so well for you. I love vaseline as highlighter too. It looks beautiful and saves you lots of money. 🙂

Evelyn September 8, 2010 - 8:31 pm

I use Vaseline for my lips, elbows, and eyelashes! I heard that if you put Vaseline on your eyelashes, in a few days, your eyelashes will become longer and also, when putting on mascara, the mascara won’t clup or smudge 🙂

beautifulwithbrains September 8, 2010 - 8:46 pm

Evelyn, thanks for the tip, it sounds great. I will have to try it soon. 🙂

Emma September 25, 2010 - 3:59 am

Vaseline also helps to slowly fade away scars: I use it to lighten my acne scars. Thanks for the great tips! I did not know that Vaseline has so many uses! 😀

beautifulwithbrains September 26, 2010 - 8:33 pm

Emma, I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing. Vaseline is such a versatile product, isn’t it?

Tasha October 19, 2010 - 9:10 pm

i also use vaseline around the eyes and on my eyelashes, I don’t know about anyone else, but they helped mine grow! I also use it on minor cuts and to shape my eyebrows- like someone has said. Vaseline is just awesome!

beautifulwithbrains October 20, 2010 - 4:08 pm

Tasha, I’m glad it makes your eyelashes grow. I’m scared of all those lashes growing treatments available these days as they can have side effects so I’ll try vaseline, thanks.

Emma Rose December 1, 2010 - 3:57 am

I’ve been using vaseline to keep my skin nice and soft, i put it on every night. after shaving i’d put vaseline where i shaved, and it stops red spots. like you said, using it as shaving gel really saves money. i’m gonna try out putting it on my split ends and my eyelashes. thanks so much, i’ll be back to tell you how it went! <3

beautifulwithbrains December 1, 2010 - 11:41 am

Emma Rose, I love using it when I shave, it saves money, is effective and leaves skin soft. 🙂 And do let us know how it works on your split ends (just be careful not to apply too much) and eyelashles. 🙂

Her January 19, 2011 - 5:30 am

I adore Vaseline.
Coming from a 13 year old who has suffered from Atopic Dermatitis, Eczema and dry skin, this cheap product is a miracle worker! I use it as a face mosturiser and for my hazel eyes. People often compliment my eyes, so I like to take advantage of that.
I strongly advise people who long for thicker, longer eyelashes to use petroleum jelly. Just apply a thick amount to your finger and run it smoothly and carefully along the tip of your eyelashes. I’m so happy I discovered this because my eyelashes feel and look amazing, and have grown unbelievably lengthy!
Also for glowing eyelids, apply a thick amount to your finger, dab it on and watch your eyelids sparkle. Even if you’re frowning, your eyes will continue to smile even if your mouth isn’t.

beautifulwithbrains January 19, 2011 - 11:11 am

Her, thank you for all your tips. I’m so glad it works so well for you and I just love how many uses such a simple and inexpensive product has. It is a miracle worker indeed! 🙂

1 2 3 7