yesterday I blogged about my favourite products of 2010 but not all products are good. In our search for the best beauty products around we are bound to stumble on a few that don’t work for us or just completely suck. So, now I’m gonna tell you all about the worst products I tried this year and I understand that some of you may disagree with me, so feel free to share your experience. And if you tried some horrible products too this year, do let me know in the comments. 🙂 Here we go then:
1. Avene High Protection Cream SPF 30: although this is a valid sunscreen that offers broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays, it is the greasiest thing ever! It never absorbs into the skin but stays on top and for the entire day it makes your face a sticky mess! Unless you have extremely dry and dehydrated skin, this stuff is totally and completely unwearable!
2. Deborah Eyeliner Precisione Waterproof: although this eyeliner has a lovely shiny finish, the brush applicator doesn’t allow for a precise application and, because it dries too fast, mistakes aren’t easy to correct. To make things worse, the formula is also very clumpy. And even if you manage to apply it properly, it’ll smudge pretty soon.
3. Essence Quattro Eyeshadow in Party Animal: this is not a really bad product, but disappointing nonetheless. The four pastel shades are very sheer and they’re never gonna look as bright as in the pan. In addition, they crease and fade soon without a primer. I don’t think one can complain too much considering the price but I was expecting a better performance. Also, keep in my mind that I only tried Party Animal. Other quads in this range may perform better.
4. L’Erbolario L’Aloe Refresh & Tones Fresh Moisturizing Cream: despite the fact that this cream doesn’t contain any comedogenic ingredients, it still managed to give me one of the worst breakouts ever! And it doesn’t really have any benefits apart from moisturizing skin, which is something that every moisturizer does. There are much better options available, especially for the price.
5. Maybelline Express Finish Nail Polish in Mauve Diamonds: I have only tried this shade from this range so I don’t know if the others are just as bad but I sure am in no rush to find out. This is the less pigmented polish I’ve ever come across and I lost count of how many layers I had to apply just to make it show up. And it takes
ages to dry! It chips pretty soon too. A total fail!
6. Sleek Glo Face & Body Highlighter in Peach Shimmer: I wouldn’t say this product sucks, it just didn’t work for my pale skin as the shades are just too pigmented and frosty to work as a highlighter on me. They just make me look like an orange disco ball! They work quite well as eyeshadows though.
7. Wet n Wild I-Sparkle Eyeshadow Quad in Utopia: this palette was such a disappointment! I bought it because the flower design was just too pretty and usually wet n wild eyeshadows have good color payoff, but three out of the four shades in this palette are very sheer and hardly show up on my pale skin, doesn’t matter how much product I apply. The texture’s not very soft either and they don’t last long without a primer.
8. Wet n Wild Kabuki Powder Brush: I usually love Wet n Wild products but I don’t seem to have had much luck with them this year. This must be the worst brush ever: the bristles are hard, scratchy, shed and if, you wash it, they’re never gonna reshape properly. Oh, and application isn’t precise at all.
9. Wet n Wild Mega Plump Lipgloss in Cairo-Mel: it breaks my heart to feature another Wet n Wild product but alas, this is a plumping lipgloss that doesn’t plump. At all. You’re still getting the uncomfortable stinging sensation though. Also, this apply sheer and any trace of color disappears soon. It’s just a basic clear gloss really.
What were the worst products you tried this year?
Disclosure: all the products in this post, apart from the L’erbolario cream which was a present, were purchased by me and reflect my personal and honest opinion with them. For more information, please see my disclaimer.