Winter is coming. It’ll bring Christmas, hot chocolate, and… That’s pretty much all I like about winter.
What I don’t like? The freezing cold temperatures and unrelenting chilly winds that cause havoc on my skin and hair.
Gone is the soft, glowy, flawless skin I enjoyed all summer long. In winter, when I look in the mirror, I see a scaly reptilian with dull, flaky skin and lifeless hair. Ugh.
Not this year. I’m determined to tackle all these problems head-on, so I, and you, can enjoy great skin all winter long. Here’s how:
Problem #1: Dry, Flaky Skin
The cold winter weather robs your skin of the essential moisture it needs to stay soft and healthy. Without it, it becomes all dry and flaky. Hello, alligator! In the worst cases, there’s bleeding too. Ouch!
- Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer For Dry To Very Dry Skin ($49.50): petrolatum + antioxidants. Available at Nordstrom.
- Paula’s Choice Clinical Ultra Rich Moisturizer ($30.00): shea, mango and coconut butters + antioxidants + soothing agents. Available at Look Fantastic.
2. Flaky Foundation
If you’re having a bad skin day, an acne outbreak or discolourations, you can just put foundation on and… Hello, gorgeous, flawless skin! But when your skin is dry and flaky? Your foundation will go on flaky and crusty too! Ugh, so annoying!
Using a richer moisturizer to fix your skin helps. But, it won’t work overnight. In the meantime, what are you supposed to do? Switch to a more moisturizing foundation, too. Or, if you don’t need much coverage, a BB Cream, CC Cream, or tinted moisturizer that evens out the skintone while boosting your skin’s hydration.
- Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Foundation SPF15 (£32.00): light coverage, moisturizing finish. Available at Cult Beauty.
- Laura Mercier Silk Creme Moisturizing Edition Foundation ($48.00): a fragrance-free, moisturizing foundation. Available at Sephora.
Problem #3: Sallow Complexion
When skin is dry and flaky, it’s not able to naturally slough off dead cells. Instead, they accumulate on the surface, leaving your face dull and lifeless. All the light’s taken out of it.
A little exfoliation can help. My favourite exfoliants contain glycolic acid. They’re multitaskers that exfoliate skin, hydrate it and boost collagen production (bye bye wrinkles!). There’s nothing better for dry winter skin.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% AHA ($33.00): glycolic acid + antioxidants. Available at Skin Store.
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboois Glycolic Night Serum ($90.00): glycolic acid + latic acid + antioxidants. Available at Sephora.
Problem #4: Runny Mascara
Those chilly winds can make you cry. As those two or three tears trickle down your face, so does your mascara. And, of course, you’re always the last to notice! For some reason, people think it’s more polite to let you go about your business looking like a racoon than gently telling you your mascara has smeared… Go figure.
Unless you dig the raccoon look (raccoons do have their charms 😉 ), invest in a good waterproof mascara. They’re more stubborn and able to resist water, sweat, and whatever you throw at it.
- Bobbi Brown No Smudge Mascara (26.00): you can even go swimming with it (but it’s a pain to remove). Available at Sephora.
- Chanel Inimitable Waterproof Mascara ($32.00): lots of length + volume. Available at Nordstrom.
Problem #5: Red And Itchy Cheeks
Brrr! It’s freezing cold outside. And that wind! It makes your cheeks all red. And no, I’m not talking about that healthy I’ve-just-returned-from-a-brisk-walk-in-the-cold rosy cheeks. Nope, this is full on irritation! And there’s nothing pretty about it.
The solution? Toners, serums, and moisturizers full of aloe vera, green tea, allantoin, chamomile, and other soothing agents. They calm down irritations, reduce redness, and help skin get healthy again.
- Paula’s Choice Calm Redness Relief Repairing Serum Dry Skin ($34.00): allantoin + green tea + hyaluronic acid. Available at Skin Store.
- Dermalogica Gentle Soothing Booster ($50.00): chamomile + calendula extracts. Available at Look Fantastic.
Problem #6: Chapped Lips
Winter isn’t happy with destroying only your skin. No, no, it must cause havoc on your lips as well. Cracks, bleeding, peeling… It’s not a pretty sight. It hurts, too.
Being a lip balm addict doesn’t save you. But switching to a more hydrating, richer formula will. In winter, it’s all about hydration.
- Eucerin Aquaphor Lip Repair ($3.99): antioxidants + hydrating + soothing agents. Available at Walgreens.
- Clinique Superbalm Lip Treatment ($16.50): antioxidants +moisturizing + soothing agents. Available at Sephora.
Problem #7: Sunburns
I bet you didn’t expect to see sunburns here. Aren’t they a summer problem? Not really. You can get a sunburn all year round. Especially when you go on holiday in the mountains.
You’re way closer to the sun, but the cold temperatures and snowy paths fool you into thinking you won’t get burned. You skip the sun protection. Next thing you know, you’ve got a sunburn.
Luckily, there’s a very simple solution. Pile on the sunscreen! And don’t forget to reapply it regularly throughout the day.
- MDSolarSciences Mineral Creme Broad Spectrum SPF50 ($30.00): zinc oxide + titanium dioxide. Available at Sephora.
- Sunumbra Sunkids 40 ($28.70): zinc oxide + antioxidants. Available at Sunumbra.
The Bottom Line
Don’t let winter woes catch you unaware! Follow the tips above, and get ready to rock healthy skin, flawless makeup, and a kissable pout through rain, snow, and hail all winter long.
What winter beauty problems often affect you? How do you deal with them?
SHOP THE POST
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.