Everyone has bad days when they feel sad and blue. But wallowing in it does you no good. There are many things you can do to shake off a bad mood and turn that frown upside down. Here are some ideas that will help you lighten up your spirits:
1. Help someone. Do your friend a favour. Help an elderly person cross the street. Volunteer. Helping others always makes you feel better straight away.
2. Write a gratitude list. Jot down on paper all the things you’re grateful for right now. Yes, there are many good things to be happy about in your life, even though it doesn’t feel like it at the moment. Remember the friends who stand by you. Be grateful for your loved ones’ wellbeing. Appreciate a warm and sunny day. Once you start writing, more and more things to be grateful for will pop into your head, making you realise that things aren’t as bad as they seemed.
3. Keep a journal. Whenever something upset you, write it down. Dissect the situation to find out why you feel so bad about it, what went wrong, and how you can fix it. That way, you can get it out of your system. If a journal is not your thing, write a blog post about it. And no, you don’t have to publish it.
4. Indulge in your guilty pleasure. I like to eat chocolate and watch Project Runway. Whatever your is, enjoy it.
5. Listen to music you love. As long as it is positive, cheerful, and inspiring. Turn up the volume. Let the music flow all over you. Dance to it. Sing along.
6. Start a creative project. Learn how to sew and make your own clothes, write a poem, paint a picture or stick rhinestone, little crystals or glitter on your wallet, shoes, or nails. Whatever gets your creative juices flowing.
7. Buy some inspirational art for your walls. Decorate your house and office with original artwork that awes and inspires you. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to do this. There are many inexpensive prints for purchase on etsy. Or you can google some art works and inspiring quotes and print them. Or photocopy them from a book.
8. Tackle your to-do list. This may be the last thing you want to do when you’re feeling sad, but striking at least one item off that list will make you feel productive and improve your mood.
9. Play with a pet. If you don’t have one, play with your friend’s cat or your neighbour’s dog. When they’re jumping around all excited, how can you not feel good?
10. Play with a child. See the world through their eyes. Be amazed at how wonderful even the simplest things can be. You’ll soon realise the world is a much better place than it seems.
11. Watch a Disney movie. Or any movie you loved as a child. Grab some comfort food and let yourself be a kid again.
12. Karaoke with friends. Yes, it’s cheesy, but fun. You don’t have to be a good singer. Just sing your heart out for the heck of it.
13. Meditate. Go to a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed, sit down, and just breathe. Pay attention to nothing else but the air as it enters and exits your body. This will center you, and release both your tension and sadness.
14. Take a walk. Or go for a run. The fresh air will do you good and the exercise will make your body release lots of feel-good endorphins.
15.Smile. Smiles are infectious. When you smile at someone, they will smile back at you. And that makes you even happier.
16. Talk to someone. Tell a friend how you’re feeling and what upset you. It’s not a sign of weakness, but one of strength. A true friend will listen and support you without judging you.
How do you cheer yourself up when you’re feeling down?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.