Are you ready to party?
I can’t wait for the festive party season to start, but… my skin is dreading it. Gobbling on panettone, sipping a sparkling cocktail, and dancing the night away is going to be a lot of fun.
But, the next morning, I know I’ll wake up to gigantic dark circles under my eyes. Chances are my skin will look super dull. And, because bad things always come in three, a pimple may found its sneaky way on my nose, too.
Not this time. This year, I’m determined to prevent all that stuff from happening to my skin. This year I’m gonna party in style AND rock my best skin ever.
Will you join me? I hope so. Here’s our plan:
1. Stay hydrated
Cold, harsh winter weather + alcohol = seriously dry and dehydrated skin.
If, unlike this boring teetotaller, you find it hard not to indulge in a tasty Cosmopolitan or Margaritas at Christmas parties, at least have a glass or two of water, as well. That’ll balance out the alcohol and keep your skin well-hydrated.
Another trick is to use serums and moisturizers with hyaluronic acid, an hydration hero that can attract, and bind to the skin, up to 1000 times its weight in water. Your skin will never be thirsty again.
- Bakel Deep Hydration Serum (£106.00): pure hyaluronic acid for sensitive skin. Available at SpaceNK.
- Niod Multi-Molecular Hyaluronic Acid Complex ($43.90): 12 forms of hyaluronic acid! Available at Beauty Bay.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Hyaluronic Acid Booster ($45.00): pure hyaluronic acid + its cousin sodium hyaluronate. Available at Skin Store.
2. Don’t Neglect Your Pout
Cold weather and alcohol are an even deadlier combination for your skin. Keep them kissable by applying lip balm regularly throughout the day. My favourite are rich in oils or shea butter: they create a barrier on the lips that prevents moisture loss and keeps lips soft and smooth.
- Drunk Elephant Lippe ($18.00): coconut oil + shea butter + antioxidants. Available at Sephora.
- Eucerin Aquaphor Lip Repair ($3.99): castor oil + glycerin. Available at Walgreens.
- Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm Shea Butter & Vitamin E SPF 25 ($7.50): shea butter + vitamin E (most moisturizing lip balm I’ve ever tried). Available at Sephora.
A bright, glowy complexion is the perfect base for makeup. And it’s so easy to achieve. You just need to exfoliate a few times a week.
I do it with glycolic acid, which can also hydrate skin and boost collagen production. If you have oily skin, opt for salicylic acid. It can penetrate inside the pores, keeping breakouts, and the excess oil that causes them, at bay.
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum ($90.00): glycolic acid + salicylic acid + green tea. Available at Sephora.
- Paula’s Choice Resist Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% AHA ($25.50): glycolic acid + ceramides + antioxidants. Available at Skinstore.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ($29.00): salicylic acid + green tea. Available at Nordstrom.
4. Banish Last Minute Spots
Pimples have an annoying habit of springing up before a Christmas party, don’t they? I guess they want to join in on the fun, as well. But we won’t let them, ladies, right? We can easily banish them with a spot treatment.
Just make sure it contains either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. BP kills the bacteria that causes acne, but it’s harsh. Use it on the spot only!
P.S. If you’re into natural remedies, try tea tree oil. It works just as well as BP (but only at 5% concentrations!).
- Clean & Clear Persea Gel ($6.99): 10% benzoyl peroxide (can be irritating – use as last resort only!). Available at Ulta.
- Kate Sommerville Anti-Bac Clearing Lotion ($42.00): 5% benzoyl peroxide + argan oil. Available at Sephora.
- Paula’s Choice Resist BHA 9 For Stubborn Imperfections ($43.00): 9% salicylic acid + soothing oats. Available at Nordstrom.
5. Perk Up Those Tired Eyes
Drinking, dancing, eating… Partying all night with family and friends is so much fun. But there’s a price to pay: dark circles. Ugh! If you can, get a solid 8 hours’ sleep the night before the party, so that you’ll look fresh-faced in the evening.
The next morning, revitalize the eye area with vitamin K and retinol. A 2006 study has showed that this combination improved dark under-eye circles in 93% of the people who took part in it.
The bad news is that I haven’t found an eye cream that contains both yet. Below is that the best we have now.
- Dr Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum ($68.00): retinol + ferulic acid. Available at Sephora.
- Peter Thomas Roth Power K Eye Rescue ($100.00): Vitamin K + antioxidants. Available at Sephora.
6. Last Minute Fix
Good skin doesn’t happen in a day. It’s the result of a healthy diet, exercise, and the right skincare products diligently applied every day. But, if you’re having a bad skin day, and are in need of a quick fix, try a sheet mask.
Think of sheet masks like a booster: whenever your skin’s feeling worse for wear, a sheet mask can plump up the hydration levels and give your face a fresh, radiant glow.
But, don’t use sheet masks as an excuse to neglect your skincare routine. Your skin won’t like that!
- Boscia Charcoal Pore-Minimizing Hydrogel Mask ($8.00): charcoal + sodium hyaluronate. Available at Sephora.
- Dr Jart+ Dermask Micro Jet Clear Solution ($9.00): niacinamide + sodium hyaluronate + antioxidants. Available at Sephora.
7. Wash It All Off
I know, I know, after partying into the wee hours of the morning, who can be bothered to remove their makeup? Well, at the risk of sounding like a Grinch, you should, my friend. Sleeping with your makeup on is no good. It leaves your skin dull, and may even cause pimples.
Do you really want that, especially if you have another party to attend soon? Thought so. Do your skin a favour and remove your makeup with an oil-based cleanser. It’s the fastest (and gentlest) way to do it. 😉
- Banila Co. Clean It Zero ($16.00): mineral oil. Available at Sokoglam.
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm ($29.00): safflower seed oil. Available at Sephora.
How do you keep your skin looking its best during the festive party season?