South Korea is a hub for cosmetic innovation. The latest trend to come from there is cushion foundation. That’s a liquid foundation, BB Cream, or CC Cream that’s presoaked into a sponge and is applied… with another sponge! The two sponges are kept separate so that there’s no contamination. Clever.
What’s so special about cushion foundations? Apparently, the saturated sponge releases only a small amount of product at a time, allowing you both to build up coverage and retouch your foundation as needed during the day, without it ever looking cakey! And the small compacts make them easy to carry around with you wherever you want. It all sounds wonderful, doesn’t it?
Cushion foundations are all the rage in South Korea and the rest of Asia at the moment, and are slowly making their way into the US market. It won’t be long before they will appear in Europe too. If you’re curious to try them, here are a few options:
1. Laneige BB Cushion, ($34.00): this BB cream has a heavier coverage that can even out the skintone and hide small imperfections like redness and not-too-bad dark circles. But it still looks natural on.
2. Dr. Jart+ BB Bounce Beauty Balm ($48.00): the BB cream delivers hydration, tinted coverage, and SPF 30. Rather than a porous sponge, it comes with an elastic mesh dispenser that releases even a smaller amount of product for better control during application.
3. 3Lab Aqua BB SPF 40, ($95.00): the most expensive option I’ve come across so far, this cushion foundation, unlike the others, delivers a matte finish, making it more suitable for those with oily skin.
4. Hera UV Mist Cushion, ($45.00): one of the most popular cushion foundations in Korea, it delivers more product than most of its rivals, and yet feels very lightweight on. It also moisturizes skin and gives it a dewy finish.
5. Amore Pacific SPF50 Color Control Cushion Compact, ($60.00): its multitasking formula delivers broad-spectrum SPF protection, deep hydration, and complete coverage. Yet, it’s so lightweight you forget you have it on!
6. It Cosmetics CC+ Veil Beauty Fluid Foundation SPF 50, ($38.00): the sponge is soaked with a CC Cream that hydrates skin, provides some coverage, and delivers a dewy finish.
Have you tried cushion foundations or are you curious to?
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.