The end of the year is a time for reminiscing and looking back. When you’re a beauty blogger, that means taking a look at your makeup bag to discover what new products have taken place there and refused to budge. They’ve become essentials. Staples. Must-haves.
What are mine? Here they are, my favourite, best beauty products of the year:
1. Becca Mineral Blush in Lantana: the bright red hue looks totally scary in the pan, but is so flattering on, especially if you have dark skin. The silky formula is super pigmented, but blends effortlessly and lasts for the whole day. And, it looks like a spaceship. How cool is that?
2. Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow In No Pressure: I’ve never been a big fan of cream eyeshadows, because they turn into an ugly mess within a few minutes on me (thanks, oily lids). This one doesn’t. It stays put for pretty much the entire day, and delivers a sheer wash of colour that’s perfect for everyday looks. Colour me impressed.
3. Lola Brows: this is the treatment that gave me the brows I’ve always wanted. It’s painless, natural-looking, and lasts for up to 3 weeks. Now, that’s impressive.
4. Body Of Truth by Harriet Brown: finally a book that challenges the way we think about weight. Harriet debunks common myths about weight, explains why diets don’t work, and proposes a new approach to help us live healthier lives. Cos that’s all that matters, in the end.
5. Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Melted Fuchsia: incredible colour payoff? Check. Insanely long lasting power? Check. A bright colour that attracts attention? Check. I’m in love.
6. By Terry Light Expert Click Brush Foundation: if I could only pick one foundation to use for the rest of my life, this would be it. The silky smooth texture is so lightweight, it feels like you have nothing on. Yet, it conceals imperfections, evens out the skintone, and gives it a gorgeous glow. The brush is detachable, which makes it easy to clean. It costs an arm and a leg, but it’s oh so worth it!
7. Urban Decay Glide On Eye Pencil in Corrupt: on lazy days, I just apply a cream-coloured cream eyeshadow and this brown pencil, and I’m good to go. The intense brown colour is a great alternative to black for everyday looks, glides on oh so smoothly, and lasts for ages. What more could you want from an eyeliner?
8. Rouge Bunny Rouge Loose Glitter Pigment Fire Drops in Embrace of Cashmere: I hardly use pigments anymore these days because they are so time-consuming, but I gladly make an exception for this. Thanks to the practical packaging and smooth texture, it hardly causes any fallout. Plus, it has great colour payoff, and blends like a dream. If only all loose eyeshdows were like this!
9. Neutrogena Ultra Light Spot Treatment Moisturizer: a cheap, but effective, way to get my salicylic acid fix. Whenever a pimple starts rearing its ugly head, I apply a few drops of this cream, and it soon disappears. Goodbye, pimple!
10. Kiss Beautiful Brow Kit: when I don’t do Lola (Brows, that is), I turn to this. It contains two powders, a highlighter, a setting cream, four stencils, and even a razor. In other words, everything you need to achieve gorgeous, flawless brows easily and painlessly. Finally!
11. Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea Of Illumination Highlighting Liquid in Sea Of Clouds: is it me, or all the best Rouge Bunny Rouge products have super long names? Regardless, this white highlighter is pigmented, smooth, longlasting, and gives skin a beautiful ethereal glow. I’m sold.
12. Smashbox Photo Finish More Than Primer Blemish Control: one of the best primers for oily skin ever, it hydrates, creates a smooth base for makeup, and gets rid of pimples. Don’t you love a multitasker?
13. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw: if you love a red lip, you NEED this. It’s matte but feels comfortable for up to three hours (yes, really). Bold, bright, and super pigmented, it won’t let you pass unnoticed!
14. How To Get Dressed: A Costume Designer’s Secrets for Making Your Clothes Look, Fit, and Feel Amazing by Alison Freer: have you ever wondered how your fave actresses on TV always manage to look amazing in everything they wear? Wonder no more. Alison, a costume designer, spills the beans, so you can always look your best too.
What gems have you discovered this year?