Applying mascara is one of the most important steps in your makeup routine. Even when you’re in a rush and don’t have time to do a full face, or if you just like to wear very minimal makeup, chances are mascara is the one product you won’t forget to apply. And it’s no wonder why. It defines lashes, darkens them making them longer, sometimes thicker, and just beautiful. But how do you apply it properly to get the best results? Here are a few tips and tricks..
1. Apply mascara after eyeshadow and eyeliner: mascara should be the last step in your eye makeup routine. First, apply eyeshadow, then line your eyes with eyeliner and finish with mascara. If you apply mascara first, it will smear, flake and just make a mess.
2. Curl you lashes before applying mascara: curling your lashes is not a must (I often forget to do it lol!), but it helps to open up the eyes and make you look more awake. If you decide to use an eyelash curler, then do so before you apply mascara otherwise you’ll end up with lashes that look clumpy and weirdly-bent.
3. Apply mascara properly: applying mascara is easier than it seems. Place the wand at the base of your lashes and wiggle it in a zig-zag motion and drag it up through the lashes. Then, hold the wand on the upper side of the lashes, at the base, and pull through. This will remove clumps.
4. Apply mascara on the lower lashline: if you decide to apply mascara on the lower lashes, which will make eyes appear wider, simply hold the wand perpendicular to the eye and then move it back and forth.
5. Apply a little mascara at a time: start by applying one coat of mascara by using two or three strokes to one eye and then do the other. If you’re not satisfied with the result, proceed with a second coat for a more intense effect. By applying a little at a time, you’ll avoid applying too much. If your lashes become clumpy or spidery then you have definitely used too much product (which also leads to smudges).
6. Get rid of clumps: to avoid clumps, simply wipe the mascara wand with a tissue to get rid of excess product. If you still apply too much, use an eyelash comb to remove clumps.
7. Check for smudges: once you have applied mascara, check for smudges and flakes. If there are any, remove them with a q-tip and, if necessary, retouch your makeup.
8. Use waterproof mascara only on special occasions: waterproof mascara is hard to remove and so shouldn’t be used everyday. All that tugging and pulling when you are taking it off is not good for the delicate eye area and can lead to irritations and even wrinkles. Instead use waterproof mascara only when you’re going to the beach/pool or for special occasions when you know you’re gonna shade a tear or two.
Do you have any more tips or tricks on how to apply mascara? Share them in the comments!
Take The Guesswork Out Of Skincare Shopping
Get access to the “Pro Skincare Library” for exclusive skincare routine “cheat sheets” and tricks to help you navigate the beauty aisles jungle like a pro and immediately know what to pick off the shelves to achieve the gorgeous skin of your dreams - even when you’re drowning in an endless sea of skincare products.