Eyeshadow fallout is so frustrating, isn’t it? You’ve just finished applying your makeup, so you take a last look in the mirror to make sure everything looks good and see eyeshadow specks all over your cheeks glaring at you! So you try to remove them, but that makes it worse. Now they’ve smudged and made a huge mess! And it always seems to happen when you’re running late! Argh!
Luckily, there are lots of ways to avoid this from happening. Here are the ones that work for me:
1. Catch fallout with powder: apply a generous dose of loose powder underneath the eyes with a big fluffy brush. This will catch any fallout. Next, apply your eyeshadow as usual, and, when you’re done working your magic, grab the fluffy brush again and swipe away all the powder. And voilà, all the powder and fallout are removed and your face makeup still looks perfect. This trick is particularly useful when using dark eyeshadow colours.
2. Do your eye makeup first: although the tip above works really well, I prefer to do my eye makeup first, and apply my foundation, concealer and blush later. This way, if some fallout occurs I can quickly and easily clean it up without messing up the rest of my makeup.
3. Tap off excess product: always lightly tap excess eyeshadow off the brush before applying it to your eyes. This will avoid the excess powder to fall all over the face.
4. Pat on eyeshadow: don’t sweep on eyeshadow. Instead, pat it on gently. Not only this will help prevent fallout, but it will make the eyeshadow brighter and more vibrant.
5. Use a primer: I find I get less fallout when I use an eyeshadow primer such as Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer Potion. A good primer will help eyeshadows stick to the lid, thus minimizing fallout.
6. Use eyeshadows wet: wetting your brush with water or spritzing it with a product like MAC Fix+ will also help avoid fallout. This method works particularly well with pigments, but shouldn’t be used with matte eyeshadows as it could change their formula.
Do you have any other tips to prevent eyeshadow fallout?