Applying makeup is fun, but taking it off at the end of the day feels like such a chore! Yet, it must be done to keep your eyes clean and healthy. But finding a good makeup remover is no easy task. Some are so gentle they don’t remove anything unless you tug and pull at the delicate eye area which is a no-no. That can cause wrinkles, and who wants that? Others are so harsh, instead, that they irritate the eyes and blur the vision.
After trying lots of them during the years, and being disappointed more times than I can count, I managed to find a few gems. Here they are:
1. Clinique Take The Day Off Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes & Lips: this dual-phase remover takes off everything, including longwearing lipsticks and waterproof mascaras, in just a couple of swipes. It’s also quite gentle so it doesn’t irritate the eyes, nor strips away too much of the natural oils that keep your skin moisturized. Available at Sephora and Boots.
2. Paula’s Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover: this makeup remover can be used all over the face, and is suitable for the eyes too. It removes all traces of foundation, longwearing and waterproof makeup without irritating the eyes. It also leaves skin very soft and smooth. Available at paulaschoice.com.
3. Helena Rubinstein All Mascaras! Complete Eye Make-up Remover: if money is not a concern, I highly recommend this bilayer eye-makeup remover. It really removes all mascaras, including waterproof ones, and the rest of your makeup quickly and effectively without irritating the eyes nor clouding your vision. Available at amazon.
4. Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser: this is a lot more than just an eye-makeup remover! The creamy cleanser can be used in the morning to remove all impurities before applying your makeup and at night to take it all off. Very effective and very gentle, you can use it all over the face, eyes included. It leaves skin clean, soft and, with the help of the muslin cloth it comes with, also performs a gentle exfoliating action. Available at uk.lizearle.com.
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: this oil is not just for cooking. It’s also an effective makeup remover that takes every trace of mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow off while nourishing the delicate eye area at the same time. EVOO can be used alone or with water. Simply pour in a bottle 1/3 olive oil and 2/3 water, and remember to shake it well before each use, otherwise the two liquids just won’t mix. The best part? It’s very cheap and chances are, you probably already have it in your kitchen.
What’s your favourite eye-makeup remover?